1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why It's Getting Harder for Uber to Break the Law - SLATE 12/22/16

Discussion in 'News' started by Michael - Cleveland, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    The trucking stuff is very cool: A truck with an engineer (driver) leads a caravan of semis that are all equipment that talks to each other - allowing the trucks ride the wake of the truck in front of them at very close distances - maximizing fuel efficiency.

2. SmokestaXX

SmokestaXX Active Member

I'm not one to say never but, all this AI driverless tech stuff is probably 20yrs away from being the norm. The technology is here and works but liability is a huge hinderance IMO. It's no different than states legalizing marijuana. Until the federal government legislates it, it's irrelevant. I mean San Fran booted Ubers the driverless cars and thats their homebase. Something just doesn't add up.

circle1 and iUBERdc like this.
  3. SmokestaXX

SmokestaXX Active Member

Who's gonna fuel this up. Who's gonna change a light bulb on I80 in desolate Wyoming. How will it know to pull over for a random inspection by Smokey? These seem like marginal questions but if u can't bump a dock, ur not trucking.

iUBERdc likes this.
  4. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

In other words ,a rolling prison cell with no ameneties no chargers,no conversation,no MC Donald's drive through. The Drivers should easily get all of ubers business with a good app.,and the human service touch.

jonnyplastic likes this.
  5. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT

6. iUBERdc

iUBERdc Well-Known Member

Can't wait for all those gallons of gas to be saved to be wiped out by one accident.

7. iUBERdc

It will be fun to prank self-driving cars for sure!!

SmokestaXX likes this.
  8. yeahTHATuberGVL

yeahTHATuberGVL Active Member

Over $1/paid mile if they plan to eat costs of Pool and balance luxury Uber rides. Plus, they'd have to pay some ridiculous amount for other companies to cover their fleet costs.

iUBERdc likes this.
  9. yeahTHATuberGVL

yeahTHATuberGVL Active Member

But putting a car in the vicinity doesn't account for outliers to the curve. My pattern can easily be disrupted by my businessman neighbor that happens to oversleep for a flight, because the app would detect that pre-assigned car as the closest car. FIFO should overrule the chance at a predetermined request, no?

iUBERdc and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  10. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Coal and natural gas ARE petrol

Theres literally technologies for synthesizing artificial petrol from coal and natural gas

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  11. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    I thought I remembered that factoid, but I've been busy making money so didn't look it up.

12. Michael - Cleveland

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I'm anti-semantic.

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  13. SmokestaXX

SmokestaXX Active Member

14. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Eventually (20 yrs give or take), when enough autonomous cars have been produced and purchased, the model will be exactly as is today, minus the driver. You'll let uber borrow your car when you feel like it, and you'll sit on the couch collecting a fee. The whole concept of ride share is that we can more efficiently get people places by utilizing existing but otherwise idle fleet. I don't foresee uber seriously putting out the the capital to have their own autonomous fleet in every city. Especially when you think about the fact that another part of the model is to have a flexible fleet that scales up and down immediately with demand.

No my friends, this autonomous car uber I running right now is purely test. Eventually they'll be borrowing all of our autonomous cars when we are willing to let them!

Michael - Cleveland likes this.
  15. TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Pish posh.
    No one is going to let Uber "borrow" their SDC for peanuts to let drunks vomit in them.
    Fleets may exist which power wash the insides every morning at 05:00, but NO ONE is going to try and earn $3.00 for vomit and "chazz was heer" carved into the Naugahyde.

Michael - Cleveland and iUBERdc like this.
  16. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Think about it, I'm pegging you as one of the "uber is so unfair and evil" on here. Why would they let their own cars get vomited in if they can borrow someone else's?

17. Buber2005

Buber2005 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Sdc will be so prevalent in 20 years, everyone will have it

18. iUBERdc

Yea I don't see people with Lexus and BMW going out to do UBERX for peanuts. What makes UBER and their trolls think the people with snazzy new self driving cars are gonna let UBER borrow them and get them destroyed with wear/tear and pax vomit/ass smell/buggers?

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  19. TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Of course I'm an Anti Uber Troll, that goes without saying.
    Tell me two things honestly:
    1) would you have let your son sleep over at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch?
    2) will you be lending your new SDC to Uber for a vomit and switchblade party?

These are rhetorical questions.
    If the answer to either one is yes, seek help.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd and iUBERdc like this.
  20. TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    Point being, by the time actual fully autonomous SDCs are approved, Uber will either be gone or have a worse reputation than Enron.
    No one is going to enter an Uber contract with less than 500 cars and the repair facility to go with it.

This fantasy of simply earning free money while you sleep is just that, a fantasy.