1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why It's Getting Harder for Uber to Break the Law - SLATE 12/22/16

Discussion in 'News' started by Michael - Cleveland, Dec 29, 2016.

1. SmokestaXX

SmokestaXX Active Member

IMO...Uber, along with other tech companies, are experimenting with AI to sell the technology to the trucking industry as well.

2. groovyguru

groovyguru Well-Known Member

Naw, they'll con people who "want to own a profitable franchise business and be their own boss" to buy a number of manufacture defect self driving cars from a selection of in the pocket fleet dealers at high mark ups through a crooked finance company offering high interest - easy qualify - low payment - long term - loans with included worthless insurance from some no-name company with no address that only covers liability claims to uBer and "business affiliates" and serviced (mandatory in contract) by unqualified monkeys working for minimum wages at Jiffy Lube, Penske, and other "service centers" (depending on your geographic location) and then jack with the rates, dropping them 30% or more in an evening and driving "franchise" owners into bankruptcy after repossessing their self driving cars and selling them off to new starry eyed franchisees.

3. arto71

arto71 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX

Why It's getting harder for Uber to break the Law?
    Simple,anyone everyone figures/finds out who they are dealing with .

http://qz.com/874548/uber-asked-a-l...lf-driving-cars-and-offered-back-very-little/
    This is What uber asked from city of Pittsburgh .

• Non-exclusive access to certain bus lanes (not busways)—this would not be exclusive to the company, but rather would be for any providers of on-demand self-driving service.
    • Designation/painting of dedicated lanes in particularly difficult areas and intersections for use by on-demand, self-driving cars.
    • Designation/painting of dedicated pickup-dropoff areas around select spots for on-demand, self-driving cars.
    • Improved signaling/signage at certain intersections to optimize movement of self-driving cars.
    • Installation of DSRC signals that can be utilized by self-driving cars—I believe this is already part of the city’s Smart Cities application.
    • Installation of bike lanes on select streets, which, in addition to promoting bike use, would create an easier/safe environment for self-driving cars.
    • Non-exclusive access to municipal parking lots to allow staging of self-driving cars while they are awaiting dispatch—understood that there would be some cost associated with this which participating providers would be expected to bear.
    • Prioritization of snow removal so as to permit continued service on these routes.
    This is what uber offered in return.

Still looking?

4. TheEqualizer

TheEqualizer New Member

And if Uber ever realise their plan of replacing all drivers with DriverLess vehicles, be sure they'll have less vehicles, as that will cost them .... but in the end, the US being what it is, I can imagine crazy numbers being claimed in the Courts, everytime an Uber has an UberCRASH!

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  5. senorCRV

senorCRV Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Here's the reality of driverless cars: They are not now nor will they ever actually be a viable alternative or replacement for human controlled cars.

Why?

1. Because other cars on the road are driven by humans and no computer now or ever will be able to think or reason well enough to understand humans and our horrible horrible decisions behind the wheel.
    2. Because no amount of programming will be able to level a playing field with weather that is ever changing. Not to mention the same motivation will be in place to keep the automated fleet on unsafe roads as currently puts 6x and 8x surges during those same time... only the computer won't care about it's own life and will do as it's Uber controller says.
    3. Legality vs Reality with the bonus of liability: Every driven on a highway on a nice day... you know, when everyone in the slow lane is going 70 in the 55 and 80 in the fast lane and it's totally not a problem until everyone almost pancakes into the old man insisting on going 55? That. I want to be a fly on the wall for the first programmer to call the legal department to see if it's ok to program it to go 70 in a 55. I don't want to be the lawyer that says "OK" and then has a UBER car programmed by UBER or with programming approved by UBER that gets into an accident while it is breaking the law...
    4. Moral Hazard: People simply won't give a crap about what they do in or to an automated Uber... How much do you want to be in an UBER autocar at 3am Saturday night? How long until the first junkie leaves a used needle on the floor/seat or pervert leaves some DNA in a baggie for your next rider?

That's just a few reasons, I could type all night.

Why are they dumping money into them by the truckload?

1. It's not their money, it's investors or loans. (Google "Agency issue" in a management context for more info)
    2. It's how they are getting investors to invest in a doomed company. It's the carrot of this investment bait and switch.

Wait... You think Uber is doomed?

You betcha.

You have a company who rips off taxis using an app that collects 25% and the company doesn't have to pay for gas, use their own cars, pay salary, pay payroll taxes, maintain a fleet, clean a fleet... ect.

Uber realistically has few expenses they must pay: I.T., insurance, legal, Corporate personell and payment processing fees.
    Uber also has things they choose to pay for: Offices, marketing (yes, I know you have to advertise, but it's technically optional), research and development.

The second part is why they lose money

Now... read any article on "Why is Uber losing money" and they'll lead with "Driver Subsidies" followed quickly with a brief mention of driverless cars... but that's bull****

Driver Subsidies... you mean the 75% you are paying drivers? Yes, I'm 100% sure it's the greatest direct expense on your direct revenue, but let's not forget it's a perfectly acceptable expense because it's the basis of your entire revenue stream... It's not even a COGS really, since it's a service provided by a contractor it's actually a transaction cost... but I digress...

The plain fact is if you have all fixed costs and no variable costs and you lose billions a year... you're terrible at this whole management thing and shouldn't run a hotdog stand.

Don't even get me started on what could end up rivaling asbestos for the largest class action ever on the "Contractor vs employee" front, especially once the IRS decides they'd like the billions in taxes they should be owed.

That's reality: I wouldn't invest a wooden nickel into UBER as a company. Those who do are betting on driverless cars (which will never happen on anything but a 30 second "yay look at us" news clip scale) or expect that UBER will either A. Have an IPO driven by "oooh, shiny technology" investors (See also the late 90s and any stock with com in it's name) B. A buyout by google or any other incredibly cash heavy tech company that can afford to risk a multi-billion dollar flop write-off as an expense to show how "hip and with-it" they are to keep benefiting their other, tired, cash cows.

6. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    I can only imagine the teams of drooling personal injury lawyers with already written subpoenas for computer code to pick apart in their "a reasonable person driving a car could have avoided this accident" claim.

Fuzzyelvis and iUBERdc like this.
  7. iUBERdc

iUBERdc Well-Known Member

How easy do you think it will be to cut off or just push around these self driving cars? Seem alike you could just have your way driving around them since they always want to avoid an accident.

8. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    Are you saying you'd like to see their hard brake report?

Fuzzyelvis likes this.
  9. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    It's not my own observation; just something I've seen written about in business publications... but since Uber's business model thus far has been to limit their liability exposure and their hard assets, it seems like it would be the direction they would want to go, long-term - after all, once they own 'the fleet' they would no longer be a 'technology company' - but rather a transportation company - which would swing wide-open the door to regulation that they've fought so hard to avoid.

iUBERdc likes this.
  10. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    Uber has hard assets? You know, ones that aren't twice leveraged with debt already.

Maybe the fact that they are in a service business and have such a level of hard assets is why they aren't making any money.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd likes this.
  11. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    They just built a fancy Corporate headquarters somewhere in Northern California.
    But what other hard assets would they have which are high overhead?
    Lawyers, that's what. This is the least law abiding company since the robber baron era.

12. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Probably in dark alley ways or in front of walmart.

iUBERdc and TwoFiddyMile like this.
  13. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Yup. John Dillinger, Bonnie, Clyde, Butch, Sundance et al, would be green with envy.

TwoFiddyMile likes this.
  14. senorCRV

Driving:
    UberX
    Remember kids, it's "Driver Subsidies" that cost UBER all their profit... It's not their ventures into exponentially more costly endeavors like driverless cars, incentives that require every new customer spend an average of $100 to break even and burning through drivers like it was as free as the gasoline they burn.

15. Do tell

Do tell Well-Known Member

jonnyplastic likes this.
  16. Michael - Cleveland

Michael - Cleveland Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Uber has never paid one cent in "Driver Subsidies".

iUBERdc likes this.
  17. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

Just think about how hard it is to pick up some people. Think about how sometimes we're forced to stop somewhere where it's not really safe. Think about how hard it's going to be for these ridiculous SDC's to determine where to stop or park for a rider.

It's just not going to work. But as long as these things keep the investor money coming in to pay my weekly bonuses, I'm all for it.

Then when Uber finally concedes and we know they will have to at some point, then they will raise the rates and we will still be able to make money, not from bonuses but from fares.

iUBERdc likes this.
  18. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV

While I am waiting for pings, I am going to place this sign behind my vehicle and watch the driverless cars line up. When I get the ping, I will continue on my way.

[​IMG]

19. merkurfan

merkurfan Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Benz already has one.

20. Trebor

Trebor Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    We will see these become legal first. (18 wheeler's in general) Just think of the Tesla's self driving feature, that is meant to ONLY be used on highways. Highways are easier to navigate and the lines are easier to see (what these cars currently rely greatly on)