1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why isn't Uber keeping us informed about airport pickups

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Ruthie09, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Ruthie09

Ruthie09 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Why isn't Uber sending out information to us regarding the airport pick ups? Why do we have to learn about this from the news or from passengers? Am I missing something? Is there an email distribution list that I need to be on and if so how do I get signed up for it?

pizza guy likes this.
  2. pizza guy

pizza guy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree. I just read an article in the Tribune that said pickups could begin as early as November 16. That's only 10 days! At some point I may try pickups, but not until I hear from other drivers.

3. ALB529

ALB529 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I was asking that same question to myself. I'll go online to check the latest update in regards to Uber Chicago airports updates. This is how I keep myself updated because Uber seems not to keep you inform with this information or they are just slow with giving updates.

4. ALB529

ALB529 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The last time I checked the news which was yesterday, November 18 is the starting date we are expected to have full access to both Airports, McCormick Place, and Navy Pier

5. ALB529

ALB529 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm going to wait for Uber or the News to confirm the dates before I start taking pickups at the Airports.

6. Mike Morris

Mike Morris Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I agree. I had a ping from Midway airport last Friday night from a guy wanting a ride to Winnetka. The guy called immediately stating that he had just got off the plane and that his friend told him that Uber can now do airport pickups. I let him know that unfortunately we haven't received official word from Uber and that I believe they are still working out the details and that I didn't feel comfortable picking him up.

He was very understanding and cancelled the request.

7. JHawk

JHawk Active Member

Aren't the airports supposed to be geo-fenced so that the riders can't send a request while on airport property?

8. ALB529

ALB529 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    They don't use the airport address when requesting a ride. They use an nearby address. Once you accept the pickup the rider would then call you and late you know that they are actually at the airport.

TonyLo and JHawk like this.
  9. ALB529

ALB529 Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That geo-fenced obviously doesn't work at Midway Airport. I get pick up request all the time at Midway. I can't speak for O'Hare Airport geo-fenced because I'm not there long enough to find out.

10. X-Terra

X-Terra New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I read the regulations Saturday night, and there are some issues that I don’t see Uber raising. I suspect they want to get this approved and don’t want the drivers commenting on how it will work.

We are required to go to staging areas away from the terminal before we can accept pings to go back into town (Rule TNP6.02). The staging area at O’Hare is 2.25 miles from the closest end of Terminal 1, twice the distance to the cab staging area and the cabs have a dedicated roadway from their staging area to the end of Terminal 1. If we get a call, we are allowed to pick people up only at two points in the terminal, between Terminals 1 and 2 and between Terminals 2 and 3.

So an arriving passenger has to call for a pickup, go to one of these areas at the extreme end of their terminal and wait for us to drive in from the staging area on Mannheim Road. One would have to be an avid Uber fan to not just hail a cab right there.

It appears to me that it would be easier for a passenger to take the train to the Kiss and Fly lot and call us from there, while we’re just across the street. This might be forbidden by the new regulations, see Rule TNP6.02 e 1, f 1. It’s not clear.

The proposed rules for Midway have similar concerns. Our staging area is at the far southern end of the cell phone lot, as far away as they could put it, and a passenger has to schlep his bags all the way to the south end of the terminal to our pickup point.

I would post the links to the regulations, but I'm not allowed to. You can find them with a little spelunking on the City of Chicago Department of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection web site.

Comments are due Nov. 16.

pizza guy likes this.
  11. pizza guy

Driving:
    UberX
    I will not do pickups at O'Hare, but considering the area around Midway it might be fun to roll the dice and play 'where will I work today'.

12. Ruthie09

Ruthie09 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm confused...

1. I keep seeing references to "upstairs". Does this mean that we would pick people up at Departures?
    2. Based on the regs X- Terra mentioned, are they saying that if we drop someone off at Departures, we have to go to the staging area if we want to get a pickup?
    3. Will the arriving passengers still request a ride via the app or will there be some person coordinating it (like they do for taxis)?
    3a. If via the app, how will rides get divvied out? For example, if there are five drivers sitting in the staging lot and a ping comes through, who gets it? Is the app keeping track of when the drivers reach the lot? Is it based on how physically close the driver is to the terminal ( in which case the person in a keep parking space will always be the one getting the call)?
    3b. If there is one person coordinating it, then how do we differ from the cab lines?
    4. If we are dropping someone off during a slow time, do we still have to go to the staging area (almost like "tagging up" in baseball)?

I have more questions but this is a start. Anyone care to tackle these?

pizza guy likes this.
  13. Uber Chiraq

Uber Chiraq Member

2.25 miles from the staging area to the pick up point is absolutely ridiculous and will only lead to passengers being really pissed. So we won....but really we didn't. Stupid ****ing cab lobby and the asshat aldermen who forced this concession. I guess I'll just keep turning off my app and leave the airport with no passengers or just stop doing any airport runs without significant surge.

14. X-Terra

X-Terra New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yes, we can only drop people off in the Departures level, then go directly to the staging area to wait for a customer. How Uber’s software will do this is an open question.

15. pizza guy

Driving:
    UberX
    Who gets pinged and to where? Sounds like being logged on at near O'Hare is Russian roullete. Think about where you may end up leaving O'Hare, it could be 2 hours from home with no rides in between. I've got my route out that works for me.

16. JHawk

JHawk Active Member

I can only, loosely, assume that it will be a similar setup to how it works in San Francisco, and some other cities where airport pick-ups are allowed. The holding area will have it's own geo-fence set up, and as cars enter to wait for pickups, they are assigned a number, not unlike taking a number at the deli-counter at the grocery store. As passenger pings come in, they are automatically routed to the lowest number, creating a digital version of the cab line that you see when you drive into the arrival area of the terminals.

As far as passengers being pissed....if they know, or are eventually educated, that the staging lot is essentially the same distance from the terminals as the cell-phone waiting lot, in theory the wait time shouldn't be any longer for an Uber car as it is if their friend or family members are waiting for them in the cell-phone lot.

17. pizza guy

Driving:
    UberX
    Sorry not woth it. Then again uber really does compete more with friends and family than regular livery.

18. Chicago-uber

Chicago-uber Well-Known Member

Imagine waiting for a ping for a couple hours and then get a ride to rosemont or park ridge. Probably net $5 in your pocket.. Life is good, right?

Maybe uber will come up with short trip "lane" like cab drivers have. Yeah.. Wishful thinking.

19. UberAnnoyed

UberAnnoyed New Member

So I just landed here,I drive uber and Lyft in Austin and need a ride to downers grove area. Suggestions or advice to catch a trip from ohare? Thanks!

20. TonyLo

TonyLo Member

I suspect pax will put in a request when their plane lands at O'Hare, then let us sit and wait 20 -30 minutes while they get thru the airport and pick up checked luggage. Also I heard the rideshare pick-up zones really are upstairs - at departures - to keep us away from cabs. Marked rideshare vehicles will be ticketed for being on the lower level.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015