• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why is this mentality so prevalent??

Molongo

CCC was a program started under FDR during the Great Depression. Why do we need these programs? Unemployment is the lowest it has ever been. These people at the airport parking lot could find employment if they chose to do so.
Post automatically merged:

You did the correct thing. Don't give cash.
Unemployment is at its lowest, my opinion, specifically because of Uber/Lyft (gig economy). And we all know how great we are paid.

TwoFiddyMile

C'mon now, LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act of 1964
Yes he did. Are you aware of what else he did to Kennedy's roadmap? His Great Society bulldozed black owned business districts... put people in segregated housing projects all over Urban America. So what he signed the Civil Rights Act? He didn't provide civil rights to those minorities.

touberornottouber

SO I was going to read this article. It came across my news feed, and looked like something I might be interested in. Thanks Google.

I stopped dead in my tracks at the end of the second paragraph with this sentence:

Why is the mentality ".....have to go on Government Assistance" the default here? Why isn't it "....have to find another job" ?

This isn't just a rideshare mentality, it's permeated, what feels to me, a good deal of our population. Where did the "I'll figure it out" mentality go, and how was it replaced with "I sure hope someone is there to help me figure it out"?

Anyone have any good links/reads on the changing pathology in society surrounding this?
Because it isn't always easy to find another job which will work for them. I doubt you are that clueless where you haven't honestly considered this. There are a lot of people out there who are on the very edge and just don't have many options.

In some cases it might really be their fault. Or maybe it is mental illness or something like this. But in many cases you are probably just "blaming the victim" with this type of attitude.

Matt Uterak

I hate to disagree with you but,it was Lyndon Johnson that made welfare what it is today. He kept using Kennedy's name for everything but it was Johnson that pushed it and signed it. I'm 70 years old. I was there when it happened. People have learned that they can vote themselves things. Liberals have learned that promising things will get you votes. This will get worse before it gets better.
It is a bit more complicated than that. Kennedy was receptive to a lot of the policy implement by Johnson. Likewise a LOT of Kennedy advisors were Red as could be.

2kwik4u

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because it isn't always easy to find another job which will work for them. I doubt you are that clueless where you haven't honestly considered this. There are a lot of people out there who are on the very edge and just don't have many options.
There are always options, it is up to the person to take them. They might not be great options, they might not be pretty, or easy, or nicely wrapped up with a bow, but there are ALWAYS options.

In some cases it might really be their fault. Or maybe it is mental illness or something like this. But in many cases you are probably just "blaming the victim" with this type of attitude.
Victim: Noun
1. a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action
2. a person who is tricked or duped.

The victim of what? Who harmed them? What was done to them to be in a situation where they can find one job, and work it, but when the terms of that job change to no longer be in their favor, they can't find another. I simply do not follow the victim mentality at any level.

To be a victim of your situation is unacceptable IMO. If it's not working, change it. ESPECIALLY if you see it coming. If one stands in front of a bus, see's its going to hit you, then continues to stand there and let it happen, I will NOT feel sorry for you. People doing rideshare can see the impending doom well enough to express those fears to a person writing an article, clearly have the aptitude to change where they are standing.

touberornottouber

There are always options, it is up to the person to take them. They might not be great options, they might not be pretty, or easy, or nicely wrapped up with a bow, but there are ALWAYS options.

Victim: Noun
1. a person harmed, injured, or killed as a result of a crime, accident, or other event or action
2. a person who is tricked or duped.

The victim of what? Who harmed them? What was done to them to be in a situation where they can find one job, and work it, but when the terms of that job change to no longer be in their favor, they can't find another. I simply do not follow the victim mentality at any level.

To be a victim of your situation is unacceptable IMO. If it's not working, change it. ESPECIALLY if you see it coming. If one stands in front of a bus, see's its going to hit you, then continues to stand there and let it happen, I will NOT feel sorry for you. People doing rideshare can see the impending doom well enough to express those fears to a person writing an article, clearly have the aptitude to change where they are standing.
Let me put this this way:

Do you honestly believe sitting where you are that you can judge hundreds of thousands of people and that you know enough of their life situations and all possibilities to be able to judge them?

I mean I agree with you. In general these days rideshare is a horrible choice. But I disagree if you think everyone caught in this trap have other (better) choices. For starters how can I possibly say that about people I have never met or even talked to? Not everyone out there has the same options you and I might have.

For example, in some cases I think the issue might be self esteem (mental issue). Some just don't think they can do better when this isn't true. I can't blame them for believing this. It's a mental condition. You aren't going to increase someone's self esteem by beating them up further mentally. That's just not going to help.

I think sometimes people can be a bit too judgmental about these things. There is also a tendency to call people in the situation lazy but let me tell you after doing this three years I have to say that as a rule full time rideshare drivers are anything but lazy and "entitled". These days rideshare drivers working full time as a rule work harder than most others and are walking what is essentially a tightrope of constant uncertainty.

tohunt4me

It’s also the culture we live in now, where people feel they deserve things with minimal work.

I had a pax about 20 who said he quit college because it was too much work. Now he’s working part-time and hopes to be a writer (aka another useless blogger). Another young pax never had a job. He’s sells clothes on Instagram.
We are All " USELESS BLOGGERS" HERE . . . .

Seamus

I get home, park, and am walking to my building when this guy on a bike stops me on the street. He gives me this sob story about how he is homeless and hasn't had anything to eat all day and just needs a couple bucks so he can go get a slice of pizza. bottle of vodka
FIFY

The Gift of Fish

I hate to hurt your feelings.
When you use passive-aggressive like this you let the forum down, you let the thread down, but most of all you let yourself down. It's not big and it's not clever.

Anyone have any good links/reads on the changing pathology in society surrounding this?
I don't have a link because I can't be bothered to look for it, but one immigration change that Trump is pushing through that I agree with is that prospective (non asylum) immigrants will have to prove that they have the economic means to support themselves without state assistance once in the US. Seems reasonable to me and has been law in my country for a long time.

2kwik4u

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
...........You aren't going to increase someone's self esteem by beating them up further mentally. That's just not going to help............................
This is at the heart of the matter right here. I agree with what you're saying, but this part in particular is the issue IMO.

We aren't beating them up. You look at my attitude as judgmental towards their situation. We all get in shitty situations form time to time. A gamble here, or a risk there, or a poor decision at another time might all lead us down a path that isn't going to improve us at all.

My argument is with those that won't help themselves, or otherwise "move out of the way" of the oncoming bus. Clearly the person in the discussion originating article can see it coming. Don't rely on a handout to cover your butt, start making plans now.

touberornottouber

This is at the heart of the matter right here. I agree with what you're saying, but this part in particular is the issue IMO.

We aren't beating them up. You look at my attitude as judgmental towards their situation. We all get in shitty situations form time to time. A gamble here, or a risk there, or a poor decision at another time might all lead us down a path that isn't going to improve us at all.

My argument is with those that won't help themselves, or otherwise "move out of the way" of the oncoming bus. Clearly the person in the discussion originating article can see it coming. Don't rely on a handout to cover your butt, start making plans now.
Yeah but moving out of the way of the bus for some might just be moving into the path of a train. Some have more options than others.

CTK

SO I was going to read this article. It came across my news feed, and looked like something I might be interested in. Thanks Google.

I stopped dead in my tracks at the end of the second paragraph with this sentence:

Why is the mentality ".....have to go on Government Assistance" the default here? Why isn't it "....have to find another job" ?

This isn't just a rideshare mentality, it's permeated, what feels to me, a good deal of our population. Where did the "I'll figure it out" mentality go, and how was it replaced with "I sure hope someone is there to help me figure it out"?

It's the generation raised on participation trophies.

Invisible

CCC was a program started under FDR during the Great Depression. Why do we need these programs? Unemployment is the lowest it has ever been. These people at the airport parking lot could find employment if they chose to do so.

You did the correct thing. Don't give cash.
That’s right about FDR, thanks. The unemployment numbers are skewed. I heard many years ago, when you look at the labor stats on employment, you have to look at line U6. That number is more representative of the ‘real’ unemployment numbers, than the ones they state. S

We need more solid middle class jobs, not more Walmart and Uber type jobs. I was solidly in the middle class, until Obummer screwed up this country. There are many, like me, who worked in professional careers, but there are not as many positions available.

To those who think anyone can find a good job, your idea of a good job may be Walmart. But to those of us who had actual careers, a good job starts with a much higher salary.

Last edited:

CTK

When John F Kennedy set up modern Public Assistance, he never intended it to be anything more than a safety net. Legacy welfare hurts entire generations of families.
Welfare programs were actually set up under President Franklin Delanor Roosevelt (FDR) in the 1930's, during the great depression.

Valar Dohaeris

I read somewhere that the VA reports there are at least 50,000 homeless veterans, and those are probably just the ones that visit the VA. I don't consider myself religious by any stretch of the imagination, but I always find it curious how some people can call themselves "Christian" yet have no compassion for their fellow man.
This is a common cheap-shot from the anti-religious crowd, but what does it really mean? Is someone not a Christian unless he or she helps 50,000 people? And if so, how so? With money? Time? Cooking meals? Changing bed linens? Why stop at 50,000? Why not 1.2M or 300M? Why not just say "is someone really a Christian if he or she doesn't devote 23 hours a day to tending to the needy and poor?"

It's a silly argument when you think about it, as so many "And you call yourself a....!" arguments are.