• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why is there no training?

Bass party

Something that strikes me as odd is that there is no training for Uber or Lyft. At the littlest I would think that they would have a ride along program where the new guys could ride with a confident driver and show them the basics of the app and normal conversations with the passengers. But instead they tell you to download a app with no guidance and send you out in the world do I fend for yourself. So if Amber and Lyft are reading these the sink or swim mentality may not be the best choice.

Swerves

Probably because they would have to pay "Training Drivers" enough so that it would be worth it for them to go out of their way to train someone who may or may not even end up driving. I don't know the stats, but I would imagine, let's say in a city like SA, they might get like 10 driver sign-ups per day, out of that maybe 8 are approved and 3 are still driving a month later.

I would imagine that Uber/Lyft's legal team killed the training though, and really, as cheap as they are they wouldn't find it worth it. I recently made the mistake of admitting on this forum that I've taken my husband along with me a few times for night rides. I'm new to this, I wasn't expecting everyone to jump on telling me how stupid/wrong I was for doing that. I've decided not to drive w/ hubby anymore but what I didn't mention, in my defense, was all the stories I've heard from Riders (Lyft) about other drivers in SA. One driver had her kids in the back, another had her mother-in-law driving because she had a broken leg, etc., and NONE of the riders I heard that from even minded. My best tip came from a ride I did with my hubby! but I learned from this forum that all it takes is one report to X me out (probably from another driver lol)

I'm sure too many people signup and then fall off after a few days, that's probably why they don't pay for drivers to train other drivers. Besides, I can tell from the backlash I got when I admitted I rode with my husband, that drivers don't like new drivers, I felt like I was an ant they were squashing. lol

BTW, how's Lyft's popularity in Boerne? You get many pings up there?

emdeplam

78% of drivers have experience operating some type pf motor vehicle and 89% are proficient with smartphone apps already.

You have the skills without even realizing

MyOwnUber

It boils down to simple economics. It is too expensive (although it makes a lot of sense for new drivers). We are in an economy where there is little or no time for training. I disagree with this entirely. Think about it: in you first driving experiences, are you going to be immediately comfortable with a complete stranger coming into your car, you act smoothly with them, the app, and focusing on driving all at the same time?

satxsatx

Drivers are expendable, easily and cheaply replaced. Any driver is essentially of no value to Uber or any TNC

Why spend on trainers and invest in drivers, when any driver could stop driving tomorrow, or be banned, and nullify investment in his training?

hfreeman17

Something that strikes me as odd is that there is no training for Uber or Lyft. At the littlest I would think that they would have a ride along program where the new guys could ride with a confident driver and show them the basics of the app and normal conversations with the passengers. But instead they tell you to download a app with no guidance and send you out in the world do I fend for yourself. So if Amber and Lyft are reading these the sink or swim mentality may not be the best choice.
In NYC (where I'm a brand new driver), Uber at least -- I can't speak for Lyft -- provides lots of training, because here you have to get a license through the Taxi & Limousine Commission in order to be a ride-share driver, allowing you also to drive a yellow cab. I'm glad to share some of the materials online if any applies to SA. Will be down there later this month.

I've also found helpful tips for anywhere in the country from "The Ride Share Guy," who drives in CA and has a website.

tohunt4me

Let me make it simple . . .

First off
A company
WOULD HAVE TO KNOW WHAT ITS DOING !!!

In order to have Training.

See ?

Drivers are expendable, easily and cheaply replaced. Any driver is essentially of no value to Uber or any TNC

Why spend on trainers and invest in drivers, when any driver could stop driving tomorrow, or be banned, and nullify investment in his training?
Uber has better things to
WASTE BILLIONS ON !

" FLYING CARS " !

pcpackrat

I see the referral fee as a training pay. Everyone I have referred, I show them the ropes and help get them started. I make myself a resource for them if they have questions.

Junior96

It am realizing that Uber and Lyft want drivers who dont know what they are doing! The pick up and drop off part isnt to difficult to learn, They want and benefit from drivers not learning how to earn the extra money, if new drivers had someone teaching the "secrets" of driving rideshare then there would be less money for them. It has nothing to do with short term losses which they will gladly take, they know that eventually they will earn it back, the more educated a driver is the less profits for them. Due to my previous jobs i learned to view things differently, and its clear to me that they know exactly what they are doing. The referrals, bonus and everything is intentionally vague, this way they can then change it to make it as profitable as possible for them. It would cost them nothing to make an online training requiring everyone to take before hitting the road. they have our GPS records so they can see who is efficient and who isn't. I have no doubt that the software has algorithms to dispatch the high paying calls to the person that will earn the most for uber/lyft. I could go on and on but dont ever think these companies dont know what they are doing, everything they do is well thought out and planned. The only thing that they cannot control is the way drivers will react and how many quit.

Ziggy

Most drivers don’t last more than 6 months. There used to be some training videos on the Uber site and lyft used to give everyone a mentor. In either case, pax will tell you when you’re doing something wrong or they’ll just give you 1*