WHY IS IT WE HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO SEE A MAP/SURGES???

JSM0713

I'm going to toss this out there to see what you guys have to say about this... but first my opinion.

Uber doesn't like it if we go online and not respond to a ping. It's inevitable, I go online to check out if there are surges on the map generally and more specifically where they're located. Sometimes, I go online and wham, there's a ping and I can't see the map anymore! And no, I am not going to answer it until I know it's in a surge area. I am tired of being played with by Uber like one of Pavlov's dogs, accepting a ping from anywhere when there are surge zones nearby offering 2x or 3x fares???
In case you are getting ready to chastise me for being a spoiled brat.... THIS is the time in South Florida to maximize your earnings potential vis a vis miles driven (gas used) and money earned.... It's just that Uber is making a mistake to force us online only to ignore requests... This also applies to forcing us to go offline to see our earnings and stats.... sometimes, the pings come fast and furious, why make us go offline to see our last fare or last few fares? It seems counterproductive. Ya think?

jrel

Not sure about you but on my Android I do not need to be online to see it anymore and also it shows your current earnings after ea ride. It used to be like you say but in the last month I believe they changed it. It is so much nicer to be able to see whats going on before you go online. If I see an area is about to surge and I am there I will wait to see if it does before I go online.

UGabe

Not sure about you but on my Android I do not need to be online to see it anymore and also it shows your current earnings after ea ride. It used to be like you say but in the last month I believe they changed it. It is so much nicer to be able to see whats going on before you go online. If I see an area is about to surge and I am there I will wait to see if it does before I go online.
you need an android phone, it makes uber life much easier!

UberSteph

I'm going to toss this out there to see what you guys have to say about this... but first my opinion.

Uber doesn't like it if we go online and not respond to a ping. It's inevitable, I go online to check out if there are surges on the map generally and more specifically where they're located. Sometimes, I go online and wham, there's a ping and I can't see the map anymore! And no, I am not going to answer it until I know it's in a surge area. I am tired of being played with by Uber like one of Pavlov's dogs, accepting a ping from anywhere when there are surge zones nearby offering 2x or 3x fares???
In case you are getting ready to chastise me for being a spoiled brat.... THIS is the time in South Florida to maximize your earnings potential vis a vis miles driven (gas used) and money earned.... It's just that Uber is making a mistake to force us online only to ignore requests... This also applies to forcing us to go offline to see our earnings and stats.... sometimes, the pings come fast and furious, why make us go offline to see our last fare or last few fares? It seems counterproductive. Ya think?

I feel exactly the same way. I don't know why they don't add the same functionality to the iPhone platform. Makes no sense

Agent99

This is why you need to have the passenger app too, not just the driver app. You can then confirm what surge multipliers are available in nearby areas. Ultimately, the passenger app info takes priority since the driver's heatmap can be delayed or wrong.

JSM0713

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is why you need to have the passenger app too, not just the driver app. You can then confirm what surge multipliers are available in nearby areas. Ultimately, the passenger app info takes priority since the driver's heatmap can be delayed or wrong.
Agent99..... Thanks for the reply..... OK, I have to admit something here.... though I have the passenger app loaded onto my iPhone, I don't see the surge zones..... is it illuminated in Red as in the Drivers app? I need your help. Thanks.
PS... I just check my Drivers App.... a couple of surge areas in the vicinity. I checked the riders app.... Not a damn thing showing....

Last edited:

berserk42

You can't see the surge zones in pax app. You can only move the pin around to see surge rates in different locations.

It can be very useful to get an overall view of the surge situation, so when playing the surge, I'll briefly go online and check the partner map to see the hottest areas.

JSM0713

You can't see the surge zones in pax app. You can only move the pun around to see surge rates in different locations.
There is a 2.5 surge in the southern most point of SOBE.... there is not indication anywhere that there is a surge on the Pax app.... where would I see that??

Agent99

There is a 2.5 surge in the southern most point of SOBE.... there is not indication anywhere that there is a surge on the Pax app.... where would I see that??
The passenger app does not show surge zones. It only shows if there is surge at the spot where the pin is. You act like you are getting ready to order a ride and it will show the surge multiplier for the ride. You have to repeat the process a few times by quickly moving the pin around and seeing if the surge multiplier is similar in adjoining areas. Then you can go online and wait for a ping with a similar multiplier. Ignore pings that are from outside the surge zone, have much lower multipliers, have poor passenger ratings or excessive distance to pick up.

If the driver app shows there is surge and the passenger app has the pin sitting within the same surge zone but there is no surge indicated, the driver app is probably 30-60 seconds behind and the "red" will be going away quickly.

JSM0713

The passenger app does not show surge zones. It only shows if there is surge at the spot where the pin is. You act like you are getting ready to order a ride and it will show the surge multiplier for the ride. You have to repeat the process a few times by quickly moving the pin around and seeing if the surge multiplier is similar in adjoining areas. Then you can go online and wait for a ping with a similar multiplier. Ignore pings that are from outside the surge zone, have much lower multipliers, have poor passenger ratings or excessive distance to pick up.

If the driver app shows there is surge and the passenger app has the pin sitting within the same surge zone but there is no surge indicated, the driver app is probably 30-60 seconds behind and the "red" will be going away quickly.
For the love of Pete.... I move the pin around on the Pax app to surge zones I see on my driver app..... I do not see any multipliers anywhere..... What the hell am I missing? I clearly see the number of minutes listed to the left of the pin.... but nothing else!!!!

Agent99

For the love of Pete.... I move the pin around on the Pax app to surge zones I see on my driver app..... I do not see any multipliers anywhere..... What the hell am I missing?
1. Where it gives the options of what kind of Uber service you (the passenger) want, UberX, Uber XL, etc., there will be a tiny lightning bolt to indicate if there is surge for each type of service, at the current pin location.

2. If you tap on "set pickup location", it will pop up with a message showing any surge multiplier for where the pin was dropped.

Last edited:

driveflydrive

If you are on an iPhone there's an excellent app called Surge which lets to track the surge in 10 cities(for a small monthly fee). I've been using it for 5 months and love it!
upload_2016-1-2_19-28-19.png

Agent99

Honestly, if you cannot or don't want to master using the Uber passenger app (as I explained) to watch surge multipliers in your area, the Surge app probably will be even harder to use effectively. The Surge App has difficulty with the new "honeycomb" style heat map seen in the new version of the Uber driver app. Region by region, the new version is slowly replacing the old zone-based heat map that the Surge App worked well with. But, hey, each region is different so your mileage may vary.