Why I prefer to pool.(trigger warning)

koyotemohn

if I work fuber I’m getting the business end of rideshare oriented butt sex anyway.

I hate when the restaurant, collegiate mimosa infused, church going pack of you name its hops in my ride and gets to split an uberx going to one destination. One sits in front, dings for something silly like safety and they blabber and jibber to each other...and one of them slams the door and all want to talk about what they want to talk about. They all just suck 9 Times out of 10.

5 min cancel time.

Waste my time but most importantly fries my nerves.

A pool can be shifted, shuffled, truffled and limited to 2 pax....INDEEED...when I see a pool request with 2 pax and it is not the elderly or parent with child....I shuffle them too.

Smithsonian, monuments, restaurants, universities all generally have uberx with 2+ pax.

So now imma flip it.

Inner city uberx needs 1.4x + for pickup with 4.8 rating(flexible)

Uberpoop? Auto accept...check internet for 5 minutes for chance of additional rider. Once one is onboard it becomes a shuffle duffle nation.

I never thought I would say this...but I prefer uberpoop to uberx.

I still do uberx in the early mornings...but the idea of one person splitting one fare and me hauling 4 humans sickens me.

I prefer driving cheap pax who don’t know the other pax...then 4 pax thrilled to be together get a ride at a 75% discount.

koyotemohn

wow what a change of heart.

Any contribution from your work with VIA that led to switching your focus or just a general annoyance with multi-rider UberX rides?

Via is ok because the pax pay a small enough fee not to feel entitled.

And yes I have thought this through.

I like long drives but driving +2 people party’s is bewshit.

And imagine 4 people getting in your ride and they didn’t tip and leave less than 5 stars.

At least with poop I can get close to a quest and some poopers tip , too...and even if they don’t .... I still get 3-5 noshows per day...which is tip money.

But the truth is humans in uberx at 2+ are generally annoying because their breathe(vocal), body weight(fuel) and no ability to charge for the additional bodies only make it valuable at 1.5x to 2.0x surge.

Flat rate to Dulles ? No problem...they tend to tip.

But I know by now the likelihood of these pax all going to the airport.

I guess I’m shifting the perspective.

Last edited:

Kawiz03

if I work fuber I’m getting the business end of rideshare oriented butt sex anyway.

I hate when the restaurant, collegiate mimosa infused, church going pack of you name its hops in my ride and gets to split an uberx going to one destination. One sits in front, dings for something silly like safety and they blabber and jibber to each other...and one of them slams the door and all want to talk about what they want to talk about. They all just suck 9 Times out of 10.

5 min cancel time.

Waste my time but most importantly fries my nerves.

A pool can be shifted, shuffled, truffled and limited to 2 pax....INDEEED...when I see a pool request with 2 pax and it is not the elderly or parent with child....I shuffle them too.

Smithsonian, monuments, restaurants, universities all generally have uberx with 2+ pax.

So now imma flip it.

Inner city uberx needs 1.4x + for pickup with 4.8 rating(flexible)

Uberpoop? Auto accept...check internet for 5 minutes for chance of additional rider. Once one is onboard it becomes a shuffle duffle nation.

I never thought I would say this...but I prefer uberpoop to uberx.

I still do uberx in the early mornings...but the idea of one person splitting one fare and me hauling 4 humans sickens me.

I prefer driving cheap pax who don’t know the other pax...then 4 pax thrilled to be together get a ride at a 75% discount.
Look I think at the end of the day its what works for you..I'm not usually a pool or line harlot buttttttt....sometimes it actually works out prime 100% line I take a look at it and figure if I can get 15-30 bucks for a ride in the city why not. Pool see its a far trip hit the no more request button gets me the same as a 2-3 non surge X rides..so find your grove today did 5 hours 18 combined lyft/line rides got 129 last week same amount of rides mostly X/Lyft got 160 but in 8-10 hours so its what you make it and work it

DCNewbie17

Is this true? Honestly don't know if pool riders tend to tip as much as X rates pax

Could be because the ride is cheaper that they're more likely to tip. Most riders don't tip at all but my Pool rides have a much better ratio because at least one rider usually tips. When I was a new Lyft rider, I remember some of the rides were so cheap that I tipped more than usual because the ride was such a "steal". For example, I paid like 2.50 + 1.00 for my friend and I on a Saturday night to get from 9th and U to Dupont Circle. I added another $3 because I thought $6.50 was a damn good deal for two of us. If it had been $6-7 for two of us, I might have just added $1.

yankdog

Could be because the ride is cheaper that they're more likely to tip. Most riders don't tip at all but my Pool rides have a much better ratio because at least one rider usually tips. When I was a new Lyft rider, I remember some of the rides were so cheap that I tipped more than usual because the ride was such a "steal". For example, I paid like 2.50 + 1.00 for my friend and I on a Saturday night to get from 9th and U to Dupont Circle. I added another $3 because I thought $6.50 was a damn good deal for two of us. If it had been $6-7 for two of us, I might have just added $1.
So a passenger takes the cheaper option which takes longer in order to have money to provide a tip to the driver because it's a cheaper ride? I've got oceanfront property in Frederick to sell you as well, respectfully.

DCNewbie17

So a passenger takes the cheaper option which takes longer in order to have money to provide a tip to the driver because it's a cheaper ride? I've got oceanfront property in Frederick to sell you as well, respectfully.

I doubt any rider is consciously taking Pools to tip more. What I'm saying is if you think Ride A should cost "X" and the ride turns out to be less, the rider might be more willing to splurge on a tip, because what's the harm? This is no different than going to a bar, and getting a free drink or shot from the bartender and then tipping more as a result. It's just a theory. I truly don't know why the ratio is higher on pools.

Furthermore, pools don't always take more time. In the example I provided, I was picked up and dropped off without any other p/u or d/o in between. And some use Uberpools without anyone joining the ride at all. Some drivers have done that intentionally and sometimes it just works out that way.

yankdog

I doubt any rider is consciously taking Pools to tip more. What I'm saying is if you think Ride A should cost "X" and the ride turns out to be less, the rider might be more willing to splurge on a tip, because what's the harm? This is no different than going to a bar, and getting a free drink or shot from the bartender and then tipping more as a result. It's just a theory. I truly don't know why the ratio is higher on pools.
I'm still wondering if pax tip more on pool than x. But still not taking pool regularly and playing my part in Dara's game to depress surge. If it's all pool I have no choice

DCNewbie17

I'm still wondering if pax tip more on pool than x. But still not taking pool regularly and playing my part in Dara's game to depress surge. If it's all pool I have no choice

I don't take every Pool offered but I do them. Just a rough guesstimate here, but I'd say Pools come with tips from about 30% of riders tipping whereas UberX is more like 10% for me. Pools are how I meet Quest usually, because I only drive weekends and I'm hanging out myself during the majority of the most profitable hours. For example, I worked 5 hrs on Friday, earned $130 and had 16 rides and drove about 80 miles. This was primarily during rush hour in DC/Arlington. Drove for 3 hrs, then hung out, turned on the app for 2 hrs and then DF'd it home. I'm unwilling to sacrifice my whole weekends doing Uber, so it makes it alot easier to hit Quest. Once I hit Quest or if I've had a bad pool, I take a break from accepting them, but I probably accept 2/3rd of them. But if the pool routes make sense, and riders are in place, I'm usually cool with them. What tends to turn me off is when Uber adds like 5 riders to the same one. That usually means at least one rider is just in the car for too long and it makes it harder (for me) to deviate from the GPS/app because the route keeps changing.

This is precisely my thinking but our new guy argues otherwise above.

I'm a gal, fyi. I still prefer UberX so I'm not exactly a Pool fan either. They're not as bad as they're made out to be though.

yankdog

I don't take every Pool offered but I do them. Just a rough guesstimate here, but I'd say Pools come with tips from about 30% of riders tipping whereas UberX is more like 10% for me. Pools are how I meet Quest usually, because I only drive weekends and I'm hanging out myself during the majority of the most profitable hours. For example, I worked 5 hrs on Friday, earned $130 and had 16 rides and drove about 80 miles. This was primarily during rush hour in DC/Arlington. Drove for 3 hrs, then hung out, turned on the app for 2 hrs and then DF'd it home. I'm unwilling to sacrifice my whole weekends doing Uber, so it makes it alot easier to hit Quest. Once I hit Quest or if I've had a bad pool, I take a break from accepting them, but I probably accept 2/3rd of them. But if the pool routes make sense, and riders are in place, I'm usually cool with them. What tends to turn me off is when Uber adds like 5 riders to the same one. That usually means at least one rider is just in the car for too long and it makes it harder (for me) to deviate from the GPS/app because the route keeps changing.

I'm a gal, fyi. I still prefer UberX so I'm not exactly a Pool fan either. They're not as bad as they're made out to be though.
Apologies, gal. My mistake. I use guy as anyone. Just to wrap up my line of thinking here. My hatred for pool is not because of what I can make. I absolutely hate pool because it is Uber's strategy to depress surge in an environment where they've taken step after step to lower base rates and make this gig less profitable. Taking pool perpetuates this cycle. I don't need this job. But I'm sure not taking pool n a regular basis or even close to it for both my sake and the sake of those who do druve full time. In my view drivers that take pool regularly are part of the problem.

koyotemohn

Point is UberX can suck just as bad. Anytime more than 2 people enter the ride with no boost,surge or tip it is just as bad if not worse as taking a pool.

Pool riders don't ask for aux in...and they don't jack slam the doors.

U can opt to shuffle n cancel

Pool cancels pay me 1.50

And the time spent to get from an UberX to another uberx is often contrasted with higher pool fares due to sustained duration , distance and cancels.