1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why I have stopped driving for Uber and Lyft.

Discussion in 'Advice' started by JanuaryStone, Nov 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. wiley21

wiley21 Member

I agree. I would like to see how OP got to that number. Also, his "average" was a pretty wide gap. (Between $10-17 hour is not an average, it is a range) based on numbers he provided, his average would be approx. $13.50. Not great, But I couldn't foresee him losing $10+ dollars of that to get to $2.75 unless he is driving a vehicle that gets under 10mpg and is just driving aimlessly while waiting for ping.

2. cdm813

cdm813 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think sometimes people forget that you will still have insurance payments and car payments if you don't drive for Uber, so you can't factor that into your "costs for driving for Uber". And all of the online miles you drive when you're running errands you would have still driven anyway, etc. You would have still had to have done maintenance like oil changes and the like, but now you're doing them a bit quicker. And all of the money you make is essentially tax free given all of the deductions you can write off -- I challenge you to make any other money tax free.

I think some perspective around those things will make most people realize that profiting from Uber driving isn't THAT bad.

bmore4now likes this.
  3. LuisEnrikee

LuisEnrikee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Bingo!
    Regardless if you're at home or doing uber , if you own a car you still need to pay your monthly bill plus insurance . Like any other job . Go work at Walmart and you'll see you'd be making much less .

bmore4now likes this.
  4. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    That is completely wrong...in Florida. Depending on your state that statement ranges from mildly wrong to Pants On Fire Kellyanne Conway wrong.

Full coverage on my shiny new 2016 Tacoma costs me around $1,100 a year. Rideshare coverage on my 2013 Prius costs me $3,766 a year. Same principle driver on both vehicles. That's $313 a month, just to cover insurance.

In a good state you might find a rideshare insurance endorsement for somewhere in the range of 20% to 30% more than you're paying normally. But saying you have insurance payments anyway is Uber corporate level deception. Anyone driving rideshare on their personal car insurance is stupid beyond belief.

Shangsta likes this.
  5. DRider85

DRider85 Well-Known Member

Sure there's a cost but don't think that with other jobs there isn't any cost. When I worked at fry's I spent money on new clothes, took time making resume, and drove 25 miles there and back for 8 bucks an hour. Time is money as well. Don't fool yourself thinking everything else is free.

6. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you're driving 25 miles to a minimum wage job then you already have bigger problems than being able to calculate profit and loss.

Shangsta and langhornedriver like this.
  7. wiley21

wiley21 Member

On a similar note, I have picked up/dropped off pax from min. wage jobs. Some had $15ish uber fees one way. A good chunk of their 8-10 hour shifts are going straight to uber.

8. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

Insurance yes, but rideshare insurance is an Uber only expense.

Car payment is definitely an Uber expense if you don't already own the vehicle you are driving

9. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

He's already proven he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.

You commute to a good paying job. If you make peanuts you might as well work at the McDonald's across the street