Why I Don't Want a Self-driving Car

MHR

Here's my story...

Today was just foul. 2 kids sick and I know they don't do it on purpose but today I was fairly convinced they had colluded together to pull off the matching illness.

I needed to get out of the house but didn't feel like doing the U/L fishing derby so I turned on apps while home. Got a ping so told the oldest to watch his brothers for a couple of hours.

Young lady wanting to go 20 miles outside of town, pick up boyfriend and go 10 miles further. Alrighty then and we head off into the hill country.

She requested-suggested a different road than I would normally go but had no problem with it.

OMG. 2 lanes, no traffic, 65 mph speed limit and so many curves and hills I felt like I was playing Mario Kart. Outstanding.

Came home on DF and swung by the lake, picked up a no show cancellation and went off and found another curvy, hilly road to return home on.

I had a blast and felt ready to deal with home life again.

Convince me a self-driving car will do that for me and I might consider one.

tohunt4me

Here's my story...

Today was just foul. 2 kids sick and I know they don't do it on purpose but today I was fairly convinced they had colluded together to pull off the matching illness.

I needed to get out of the house but didn't feel like doing the U/L fishing derby so I turned on apps while home. Got a ping so told the oldest to watch his brothers for a couple of hours.

Young lady wanting to go 20 miles outside of town, pick up boyfriend and go 10 miles further. Alrighty then and we head off into the hill country.

She requested-suggested a different road than I would normally go but had no problem with it.

OMG. 2 lanes, no traffic, 65 mph speed limit and so many curves and hills I felt like I was playing Mario Kart. Outstanding.

Came home on DF and swung by the lake, picked up a no show cancellation and went off and found another curvy, hilly road to return home on.

They want to take the steering wheels out of them.

MHR

Just another reason why it's wrong.

But as I've said before, the current generation doesn't understand what's being taken away from them if we go to only autonomous vehicles.

Spotscat

But as I've said before, the current generation doesn't understand what's being taken away from them if we go to only autonomous vehicles.
You couldn't be more spot-on!

There are some who believe that SDV's are the future, that we all will ride around in vehicles that look like this --

uber sdv.jpg

Others of us will always enjoy the thrill of driving, and the sheer enjoyment that comes from driving something like this --

vette.jpg

tomatopaste

This is the exception not the rule. Most of the time you're stuck in traffic, or stuck at a red light, or stuck behind a train. If you can save 200 bucks a month by using a self driving taxi service and be chauffeured everywhere you go, then you can use the money to rent a Porche and make that same trip.

tohunt4me

This is the exception not the rule. Most of the time you're stuck in traffic, or stuck at a red light, or stuck behind a train. If you can save 200 bucks a month by using a self driving taxi service and be chauffeured everywhere you go, then you can use the money to rent a Porche and make that same trip.
No.

The TRIBE has spoken.

Self Driving Cars are OFF THE ISLAND !

tohunt4me

We have Ways of ensuring Compliance.

I think i hear the Flying Monkeys NOW . . .

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-51-15.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-51-15.png
    103.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-52-14.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-52-14.png
    81.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-54-36.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-54-36.png
    89.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-56-05.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-56-05.png
    200 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-57-53.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-19-00-57-53.png
    57.9 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: MHR

Grahamcracker

Here's my story...

I don't have a good reason to convince you why you should want a SDV but you could look at the bright side, no more DUI's or accidents that are your fault.

No more designated driver's! Yay!

I feel you though. I love driving. Road trips!

tomatopaste

I hate automation.
I will take an axe to the first self driving car that screws up if i am forced to use one.

I even hate vending machines.

Life's going to be extremely painful for you then. Things are going to change more in the next 20 years than they have in the last 200. I'd learn to embrace it and focus on the good aspects, not the many perceived bad ones. Although as with almost everything, there are both good and bad. However the good these changes will bring to society will far outweigh the bad.

Spotscat

Life's going to be extremely painful for you then. Things are going to change more in the next 20 years than they have in the last 200. I'd learn to embrace it and focus on the good aspects, not the many perceived bad ones. Although as with almost everything, there are both good and bad. However the good these changes will bring to society will far outweigh the bad.

The exact same thing was said about eugenics.

Reactions: MHR