Why, Hello, UberAssist

sporadic

Would you like to do more trips and help the community?

Congratulations! As one of our top partners, you are invited to join uberASSIST!

What is uberASSIST?

uberASSIST is designed to provide additional assistance to members of the senior and disability communities. Driver-partners who choose to participate will attend an information session developed by the Australian Network on Disability. In the session, partners will be educated on how to assist riders with different forms of disability and mobility issues.

uberASSIST vehicles can accommodate folding wheelchairs, walkers, and collapsible scooters, but do not have wheelchair-accessible ramps or lifts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keeping my logon options to Eats only... #nopaxallowedstill

Mightymong

Hallelu... Now that is something else... I can only imagine how easy a target one would become for TSC etc...

sporadic

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
As an uberASSIST driver-partner, you will still be able to accept uberX trips as usual. This will allow you to receive more requests while also making a positive impact to those in our community who need an extra hand. Fares for uberASSIST are the same as uberX.

Makes me wonder... Why even try...

LevelX

Fares for uberASSIST are the same as uberX.
Oh Uber..... why would I do UberAssist then!? More work, same money, longer turn around time between trips.

These trips will be SHORT trips too I'm guessing.

I'm not against helping people, I just feel these trips should have a surcharge on them.

This will allow you to receive more requests
Oh my bullsh!t meter just went off.... When Uber says I'll make more money or do more trips, I know I'm getting screwed big time!!

sporadic

We'll see how many people get led on... like sheep to the slaughterhouse :wink:

Personally I think it would be people whom Uber has helped to find jobs. With a car financing plan. And without any help on GST/tax obligations.

Oh Uber..... why would I do UberAssist then!? More work, same money, longer turn around time between trips.

These trips will be SHORT trips too I'm guessing.

I'm not against helping people, I just feel these trips should have a surcharge on them.

Oh my bullsh!t meter just went off.... When Uber says I'll make more money or do more trips, I know I'm getting screwed big time!!

LevelX

Personally I think it would be people whom Uber has helped to find jobs. With a car financing plan. And without any help on GST/tax obligations.
Confused..... What is? uberASSIST? More like helping oldies in and out of the car and loading the walker in the boot while you take them to the doctors or home again. All for UberX rates.

sporadic

Helping the disabled people too. Like those in wheelchairs.
Confused..... What is? uberASSIST? More like helping oldies in and out of the car and loading the walker in the boot while you take them to the doctors or home again. All for UberX rates.

LevelX

Even if they fold, its a lot of extra 'work'. Arrive, help pax out of chair and into the car. Then fold the chair up, put it in boot etc. Drive pax to dest, then get chair out, pax out of the car etc. Sorry, but I'm worried about hurting myself or the pax if they fall. We have no work cover, no income protection if a pax falls and hurts us in the process. Its selfish, but Uber won't care if I can't work!

So based on all that and even if we leave the 'meter running' from as soon as we arrive to we leave, its only 32c/min for that work before ubers cut, GST etc or $19.20/hr minus Uber/GST.

Sorry, just not worth it. Hence why it needs a surcharge or increased rates.

NickyBoy

You can't discriminate against disabled or elderly & I agree with that, so you can't charge them extra for using Uber...

This is where Uber fails again... - Uber should reduce their commission by 10% for Assist fares. That would provide an incentive to drivers to do Assist. As it stands at present why would I want to spend more time waiting for pax to get in & out of my car for same rates as uberx ??? & like others stated, more than likely short fares.. I could do 4-5 back to back short fares in an hour on Uberx, perhaps 2 in Assist when you consider extra waiting times, helping them in/out of car & storing their wheel chair. trolley etc ...

But Uber are like, make it same rates, someone will do it ...

LevelX

You can't discriminate against disabled or elderly & I agree with that, so you can't charge them extra for using Uber...
While I agree its a fine line and a tough one. I don't want to disadvantage disabled or elderly people, but you are offering/doing more for a assist job compared to a Uberx job, and the driver has greater risks. We are not trained on how to help paxs in and out of the car correctly. What if they 'flop' and hurt me in the process? Sadly I get screwed by Uber if I can't work and there is no work cover!?

That said, Taxis who carry wheelchairs can get a lifting fee paid to the driver (not paid by the pax though) http://taxi.vic.gov.au/passengers/travelling-with-a-disability

The lifting fee is covered under your MPTP membership. The current lifting fees are:

• Lifting fee for wheelchair accessible taxis is $16.70
  • Lifting fee for conventional taxis in outer-suburban, urban and country zones is $8.35

Uber should reduce their commission by 10% for Assist fares
Now this I would be happy with. Its a bit like the lifting fee above, the driver gets 'extra' but the pax pays the standard rates.

Graham J

Sporadic, you could really help someone out by giving them one of your Pizzas left over from the night before! But really folks, what are Uber thinking?

Instead of talking about offering elderly and people requiring assistance more dignity they should be offering their drivers some dignity first instead of treating us like complete and utter fools.

sporadic

Leftover pizzas go into my belly mate! :biggrin: I'm not one to pass on free food!

Sporadic, you could really help someone out by giving them one of your Pizzas left over from the night before! But really folks, what are Uber thinking?

Instead of talking about offering elderly and people requiring assistance more dignity they should be offering their drivers some dignity first instead of treating us like complete and utter fools.

sporadic

Love that response! But still, I'll cover the Eats trips any day ScottieB, you can take my surges :biggrin:

Heres my reply to Uber regarding UberAssist

I am honoured to be invited to be part of the UberASSIST trail run, but until our UberX rate is increased back up by 15% I am not interested in be part of the trial or UberEats or any other trails
Regards
Scottie

Joka1335

Uber won't reduce their fee - Uber response - You signed an agreement and we don't negotiate period!!!! Got that answer the other day when I suggested that to do UberEats even though they are desperate for Eats drivers, the guy at the counter in Richmond look down his nose at me like was the scum of the earth, he should be so high and mighty. As I've said before doing Assist will be like Eats - Just like kissing your sister just nothing in it!!