• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why everyone put Manhattan over everything?

Vishnu643

Hi there, I'm a new Uber driver, still waiting for my TLC license in the mail and from what I understand after calling TLC, it was approved finally on 08/17/2017 and I took my 24 hour course test on the 12th but it still hasn't even been mailed out yet. And according to the website, it was just updated on the 22nd. Very slow imo. "Lucky" (best term found) I have a second job. So why not get info in advance.

I noticed, not just here but my 24 hour instructors and even my friends who do this like to stay in Manhattan and nowhere else. I get that the financial district is full of rich snobs, but what is wrong with somewhere like Queens or the BX? How many of you guys are posted in Manhattan to the point of congestion. I be waltzing around and half the time there's an Uber driver just chilling. Me personally I have always avoided driving in Manhattan like the plague and their crazy specialized rules get confusing quick.
Isn't it just as beneficial to pick up ANYWHERE in NYC because the more you do the more money you make regardless vs WAITING for big hits?

Personally, if I can, I'm avoiding Manhattan like the plague. Nothing wrong with posting up by the Jamaica LIRR. At least I would think. I'm new so you know better than me

Uberinian

Hi there, I'm a new Uber driver, still waiting for my TLC license in the mail and from what I understand after calling TLC, it was approved finally on 08/17/2017 and I took my 24 hour course test on the 12th but it still hasn't even been mailed out yet. And according to the website, it was just updated on the 22nd. Very slow imo. "Lucky" (best term found) I have a second job. So why not get info in advance.

I noticed, not just here but my 24 hour instructors and even my friends who do this like to stay in Manhattan and nowhere else. I get that the financial district is full of rich snobs, but what is wrong with somewhere like Queens or the BX? How many of you guys are posted in Manhattan to the point of congestion. I be waltzing around and half the time there's an Uber driver just chilling. Me personally I have always avoided driving in Manhattan like the plague and their crazy specialized rules get confusing quick.
Isn't it just as beneficial to pick up ANYWHERE in NYC because the more you do the more money you make regardless vs WAITING for big hits?

Personally, if I can, I'm avoiding Manhattan like the plague. Nothing wrong with posting up by the Jamaica LIRR. At least I would think. I'm new so you know better than me
Nobody said they like Manhattan. But if that's where you end up... Then that's where you end up. If you go from Queens to Manhattan... Why would you waste time and gas going through traffic and spending 40 mins to go back to Queens.... Only to possibly end up in Manhattan again?

You don't have a choice as to where you would work. You most likely will end up in Manhattan during your shift... And if you end up there, you're stuck there.

Not like you have a choice to go to the outer boroughs

jaybx17

Ohhh man this is my favorite topic!
Because 95% of these guys love being pushed around by those snobs. It's disgusting how some of those people will TRY to treat you.
They are afraid of Brooklyn and the Bronx even part of Queens! It's like Iraq and North Korea mixed in one pot.
I usually don't like newbies on here but you are one smart newbie so you get the pass :cool:

Link_upnyc

Bronx and Brooklyn has enough business and will keep you busy.... Queens can be busy trips are spread out and you have to drive to pick up location that may be a 1.5 mile away and that can be annoying. Bk and bx good places to work and avoid traffic.

It is true tho, once you get started to you can't stay in 1 places and easily can end up in Manhattan. Just go with the flow and if it's slow drive towards the area you prefer either you will get a ping on your way or end up in your little gem spots.

K.O.N.Y

Sometimes us drivers don't even realize we're the ones over saturating Manhattan. I worked Staten Island one night for 5hrs and literally saw one other Uber/app driver in that 5 hrs and it was 5 hrs of none stop trips. As for the outer boroughs alot of drivers have there reasons for not working them. The more hardcore sections of the city scare drivers who might not be built like that so take advantage of that

NYCTLC

Like everyone stated, with ride share apps, you'll end up everywhere. Once you go online you may pick up a passenger in queens and end up in manhatthan and then the bronx and back in manhatthan. You have no control and you will not know where that passenger is going until the passenger is in your vehicle and you hit "start ride".

Wardell Curry

Avoid Jamaica. Many hoodrats even as it is being gentrified. My car got broken into 1 block from my house by people who probably see me every day on the street. They don't care. Brooklyn is a good outlet if you want to avoid Manhattan. Just avoid east new york, brownsville, and canarsie and you should be fine.

ffran347

I use to be one of those, but now that there is barely any surge i rather stay away. I have been making good money between Qns and Bk. Beacuse for $7 dollar short trips is not worth going in there dealing with up tight pax, yellow cab idiots, stupid pedestrians and the @@@@ing cyclist. If i end up in Manhatan ill just drive out of there quick but if i get a ping ill take it otherwise im back in Qns or Bk.

Vishnu643

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Avoid Jamaica. Many hoodrats even as it is being gentrified. My car got broken into 1 block from my house by people who probably see me every day on the street. They don't care. Brooklyn is a good outlet if you want to avoid Manhattan. Just avoid east new york, brownsville, and canarsie and you should be fine.
Well...good thing I don't live there now. But I did and will move back and NEVER had that happen to me. Just don't look like a @@@@@....it also helps if you know people too. I'm just a guy who grew up in many hoods trying to be a respectable citizen lol

The more hardcore sections of the city scare drivers who might not be built like that so take advantage of that
Lol K.O.N.Y . Good I'll take full advantage then

Bklyndriver

Driving back to the bk, bx, or queens isn't worth your time especially if you are working the day shift cuz of traffic. In one day you can be in bk, bx, queens manahttan, li, Staten island, jersey and even upstate. You have no control... Unless you cancel on the pax. Lol. (I've cancelled several jersey and ct trips) ain't worth it.

Wardell Curry

Well...good thing I don't live there now. But I did and will move back and NEVER had that happen to me. Just don't look like a *****....it also helps if you know people too. I'm just a guy who grew up in many hoods trying to be a respectable citizen lol

Lol K.O.N.Y . Good I'll take full advantage then
I should specify south jamaica is the hood. So anywhere south of merrick , north of the van wyck between hillside and rockaway blvd.

Last edited:

Vishnu643

I should specify south jamaica is the hod. So anywhere south of merrick , north of the van wyck between hillside and rockaway blvd.
That's all of Jamaica my man. And I lived on Southside (since I was 21) by Jamaica ave and guy Brewer. But I'll be sure to be careful all the same. The trick is to never seem like you're looking down on anyone and be respectful because half the class"thugs" are making more money than us sometimes.

jaybx17

That's all of Jamaica my man. And I lived on Southside (since I was 21) by Jamaica ave and guy Brewer. But I'll be sure to be careful all the same. The trick is to never seem like you're looking down on anyone and be respectful because half the class"thugs" are making more money than us sometimes.
Exactly. I'm no thug, just carry yourself accordingly and don't treat them any different then anyone else and you will be fine. Alot of these encounters I see with hood pax seem provoked. Driver starts the whole ride off in some kind of scary or disrespectful mood because he doesn't want to be there or to pick them up. I'd deal with snobs better if I were driving yellow. Maybe more worth it cause of the tips and no dumb ass rating system plus fares higher.

Five Star

Sometimes us drivers don't even realize we're the ones over saturating Manhattan. I worked Staten Island one night for 5hrs and literally saw one other Uber/app driver in that 5 hrs and it was 5 hrs of none stop trips. As for the outer boroughs alot of drivers have there reasons for not working them. The more hardcore sections of the city scare drivers who might not be built like that so take advantage of that
SI is tough to work because of logistics. But it surges almost everyday. It's a long drive for me to start there, and I don't like the people to be honest. But the few times I drove there, I stayed and made decent money.

Wardell Curry

Hah. But you know the other side of van wyck shows up as jamaica on destinations too. Haha. Like liberty and lefferts where the a train stop is which is really richmond hill. And I don't look down on anyone. I don't even chill with anyone here either though I know most of the people on my block. But some of these fools see me dressed up nicely all the time on weekdays and think Im rich. I just want to look presentable for my regular office job. Otherwise, I would drive Uber x in shorts and a t shirt especially now that it hot.

Suli_B

Canarsie is not a bad area to work in. It's busy and safer than Brownsville and ENY. I honestly have no issues working in any part of Brooklyn. If it were up to me I'd work exclusively in Brooklyn.

K.O.N.Y

SI is tough to work because of logistics. But it surges almost everyday. It's a long drive for me to start there, and I don't like the people to be honest. But the few times I drove there, I stayed and made decent money.
It's totally different from the other boroughs. I ended up there a couple of times bringing pax from the city bars 10/11pm. That long ride back home is annoying

Vishnu643

It's totally different from the other boroughs. I ended up there a couple of times bringing pax from the city bars 10/11pm. That long ride back home is annoying
Are they racist out there? If not, I'll dedicate a day to si. Never been there a day in my life and I like seeing new places.

Btw, I like Brownsville. I get plenty of perks whenever I go if you know what I mean^_^

Evlesoa

Nobody said they like Manhattan. But if that's where you end up... Then that's where you end up. If you go from Queens to Manhattan... Why would you waste time and gas going through traffic and spending 40 mins to go back to Queens.... Only to possibly end up in Manhattan again?

You don't have a choice as to where you would work. You most likely will end up in Manhattan during your shift... And if you end up there, you're stuck there.

Not like you have a choice to go to the outer boroughs
I like Manhattan. I only drive Manhattan. 99% of my trips are in Manhattan. Long live Manhattan. I always set my destination filter to Manhattan when I'm anywhere outside of Manhattan.

Geyrils

I'm no fan of Manhattan,it is just too busy for me with TLC rats and cops everywhere.....But most of time i ended up in Manhattan against my wish.