Why drive?

bruvlove

Just curious as to why the majority of you drive for uber? Because all I read is negativity never seen so many negative people all in one area, if you don't like it don't do it! Go and do something you like/love doing! .. By being negative about it all just makes it worse for you and everyone around you!.. You know what I don't love it but it's chilled and you will never earn easier money.. So why not just embrace it and start worrying about s^^^ that actually matters.. You depressive f^^^^rs

LevelX

Some drive because its the only income we currently have, some drive for pocket money, some drive cause they are not cough cough legally allowed to work in this country and Uber fails a lot of checks there. Some drive cause the hours suit them. Some are retired and drive to fill in time and talk to people.

Because all I read is negativity never seen so many negative people all in one area
Sometimes the truth can mistaken for negativity..... Just telling it how it is!

So.... Why do you drive Bruvlove?

bruvlove

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some drive because its the only income we currently have, some drive for pocket money, some drive cause they are not cough cough legally allowed to work in this country and Uber fails a lot of checks there. Some drive cause the hours suit them. Some are retired and drive to fill in time and talk to people.

Sometimes the truth can mistaken for negativity..... Just telling it how it is!

So.... Why do you drive Bruvlove?
I drive for extra cash I do 10hrs a week normally avg 40+ per hour.. So I don't have nothing to complain about but what everyone needs to realise uber is a business and there priority is share holders and customers and staff or drivers are at the bottom of the priority scale , just like any big business. Telling it how it is or complaining are the same thing not happy then people need to make a change

whatsataxi

My story

Spent 20 years working doors in pubs and clubs. Stress and wear n tear on the body finally took its toll and I ended up having a heart attack (i'm 43). Doc said no more security work so I needed to find a job that was stress free and flexible hours so I could simply go home if I wasn't feeling well. Uber seemed like the perfect solution so I signed up. That was 6 months ago and I can honestly say it aint perfect but it sure beats brawling every weekend.

Jwoodsa

I simply do it as a 2nd job for the flexibility.
Not many jobs out there where you can simply turn up and go home when you want.
Also meet some pretty awesome people along the way.

mrmontenegro

Just curious as to why the majority of you drive for uber? Because all I read is negativity never seen so many negative people all in one area, if you don't like it don't do it! Go and do something you like/love doing! .. By being negative about it all just makes it worse for you and everyone around you!.. You know what I don't love it but it's chilled and you will never earn easier money.. So why not just embrace it and start worrying about s^^^ that actually matters.. You depressive f^^^^rs
free country maaate!!!
this forum is pretty much all about whinging complain moan about uber the only platform you can went out all the frustrations of driving and being bossed around by an app...
now if u dont like the forum thats a different story but they r more valid points being made here that u will ever hear from ubersupport...
to your question my only reason 4 driving is picking up the lovely melbourne girls!!! joking

Graham J

Hey bruvlove, despite the fact that you resorted to name calling (depressive f^^^^ers) to emphasise your point, which showed your distinct lack of bruvlove, the premise of your question is worthy of discussion. Others have given their reasons for driving most of which have to do with flexibility, extra pocket money, something to do and for most drivers the love of meeting and talking with people. In fact I would suggest that most of the people posting in the forum are quite positive about their work. BUT, there is one common enemy and common source of nearly all of our irritation and that is the bastards at Uber! Despite the fact that most of us want to do a good job and be reasonably rewarded for doing so Uber, through their utter stupidity, keep attacking us with rate cuts, increasing their fees, fiddling the GST so we are out of pocket, extending ping times and reducing surge times and then insulting us with their Uber "Support". These are the issues that cause 99% of "negative" comments in this forum and the comments are negative because the actions by Uber are negative. Take those aside the other posts are usually drivers trying to share their experiences and to help others out. Just overnight in another thread I learnt about an APP where I can find a dunny in a hurry; pure bloody gold!
I drive for extra cash I do 10hrs a week normally avg 40+ per hour..
Mate, I rarely question an assertion made by someone but quite frankly your claim of averaging $40+/hour is based on fantasy if you're driving UberX!

MyRedUber

For anyone driving UberX because "its the only income we currently have" or "for pocket money," really don't understand all of their costs.

I only drive weekdays, concentrating on the business areas. Maybe if I drove nights and was willing to carry the drunks, or chased surge, I might make a little more but for me it wouldn't be worth the extra risk.
After accounting for all of my costs, my best week driving UberX I earned the pretax equivalent of around $24 per hour. My average for last financial year was just $5.36 per hour. And that's on Sydney fares. My total income is less than the tax-free threshold so I get to keep all of that. But for those earning over that, total of your income from all sources, and paying tax, you'll be taking home less.

Why do I drive? I've always liked driving. I like meeting people, and if I don't like someone I'm only with them for 10, 20 or 30 minutes. And using the new Driver Destination feature, I can get paid driving to somewhere I was going anyway.

Graham J

I think those that refer to it as "pocket money" have a very real understanding of the costs involved because pocket money is about all that is left. Depending on your individual perspective pocket money is still better than no money! But by and large MyRedUber you're personal reason for driving is, I believe, the most common one for a lot of drivers

bruvlove

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey bruvlove, despite the fact that you resorted to name calling (depressive f^^^^ers) to emphasise your point, which showed your distinct lack of bruvlove, the premise of your question is worthy of discussion. Others have given their reasons for driving most of which have to do with flexibility, extra pocket money, something to do and for most drivers the love of meeting and talking with people. In fact I would suggest that most of the people posting in the forum are quite positive about their work. BUT, there is one common enemy and common source of nearly all of our irritation and that is the bastards at Uber! Despite the fact that most of us want to do a good job and be reasonably rewarded for doing so Uber, through their utter stupidity, keep attacking us with rate cuts, increasing their fees, fiddling the GST so we are out of pocket, extending ping times and reducing surge times and then insulting us with their Uber "Support". These are the issues that cause 99% of "negative" comments in this forum and the comments are negative because the actions by Uber are negative. Take those aside the other posts are usually drivers trying to share their experiences and to help others out. Just overnight in another thread I learnt about an APP where I can find a dunny in a hurry; pure bloody gold!

Mate, I rarely question an assertion made by someone but quite frankly your claim of averaging $40+/hour is based on fantasy if you're driving UberX!

Fantasy you say? Maybe I work smarter not harder!. I've got nothing to gain from talking S^^^ I know how much I'm making and I wouldn't do it for $30ph! Happy for anyone else to ;-p

MyRedUber

If you want pocket money, get a casual job somewhere. You know how much you're going to earn and you have none of the risk.

Homebrand Taxi

I like the fact that drivers are able to connect here and spill their guts, make loads of legitimate points and have a whinge. All are perfectly legit. Because in case you haven't figured it out, Uber's business model and communications make it well-nigh impossible for us to connect otherwise. And if anyone thinks that by discussing what is discussed here is "too negative", then you don't have the experience that many of us have. The experience of starting driving more than a year ago, liking it, being surprised by how good most pax are and feeling good about the amount of remuneration we received for trading our labour and time for money. Twelve months later, we are being paid 30% less, have all been fed bullsh#t in the process and have seen the decline of service and reputation of Uber as a transport option. The experience has changed and for some of us, Uber is either critical to our income or an extra that enables us to do more. If it is "too negative" to raise legitimate issues and also learn from others, then I am sure there is a suitable My Little Pony blog somewhere that is more suitable.

Graham J

To quote Forrest Gump Uber ridess are like a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get. It's very nice to get fares like you did last Sunday MrMontenegro for the money but it's also fun to see it all clicking! Pit it doesn't happen more often

lions44

You are correct Graham the quality of many vehicles you see at multi bookings is questionable and the drivers look more like lunchtime at the Uni cafe than the crop of 18 months ago....... Would be interested in hearing feedback others are getting from the riders

joffie

Yeah.. stuffing around for 45 minutes on a EATS delivery for $9.20.. and they wonder why they are begging for drivers.

Far cry from the $30 P/H they advertise.