Why don't private jet passengers choose other types of services besides UberX/Lyft rides?

Initial D

Not too far from the entrance of the Oakland Airport, there is a Business Jet Center for passengers traveling with a private jet. Whenever I am near the Oakland Airport, I wait for airport rides and I sometimes get a request from the Business Jet Center.

In my experiences, I've had two pax requesting a rideshare ride from the Business Jet Center and cancelling after the private jet plane belched out the passengers, for reasons probably they did not like the cars I've rented.

Why don't private jet passengers choose something else like UberBlack, Black SUV, Select, Lyft Lux/Black? Did they become broke and into financial debt by wasting too much money for private jet rides?

sellkatsell44

Why don't private jet passengers choose something else like UberBlack, Black SUV, Select, Lyft Lux/Black?
They may not be the typical private jet setters you’re thinking of.

There’s a company (x?) out there that is providing private jet rides to the common folks. Kind of like an Uber for jets.

?

Edit, jetsuitex, I knew there was an x.

Gilby

I am a commercial pilot who has flown passengers on private jets and turboprops. None of these people have appeared cheap to me... they either get a rental car or Uber/Lyft most of the time. (Sometimes they have a personal vehicle at the destination, or someone meets the flight.) It is not unusual for them to tip the crew of the airplane, or buy us a meal. Even more so than riding on the surface, they are trusting us with their lives and often show appreciation.

Since I am also a driver, I have occasionally received rides from passengers arriving at the airport where I work. More often, though, it is the air crew going for food or lodging. These folks are fun for me to talk with, since we are all in aviation.

losiglow

I've driven two basketball players, one from the Utah Jazz and the other from Orlando Magic. I also drove Karim Habib who was the lead designer for BMW and Infinity. Karim ordered a Select from Park City to the airport but the b-ball players just did an X. Karim was a total gear head like myself so we had some great car-talk.

Obviously they could afford some black car service that costs much more. I'm assuming it was more convenient to just order an Uber. Or maybe they just don't care. I think I can safely say that even if I were worth several million, I probably wouldn't care about how I got to my destination.

Also, many wealthy people (the majority of everyday millionaires) are not spoiled people that inherited all their money or fed by a silver spoon. The majority are normal people who were simply smart with their money and/or business and were raised in "normal" circumstances that didn't involve a life of luxury. I drive around people who I'm sure are worth millions if not 10's of millions up in Park City from private communities with homes that are in the $2-5 million range, and most of the time they just order a regular UberX.

Benjamin M

My aunt is a flight attendant for a private jet service. Guaranteed that her clients are not taking Uber / Lyft because they're VIPs.

All depends on the type of traveler. I have given many wealthy corporate types rides, likely for no other reason than it being more convenient than scheduling a car service.

Stephen King, Miley Cyrus, etc - no, likely not taking Uber.

sellkatsell44

My aunt is a flight attendant for a private jet service. Guaranteed that her clients are not taking Uber / Lyft because they're VIPs.

All depends on the type of traveler. I have given many wealthy corporate types rides, likely for no other reason than it being more convenient than scheduling a car service.

Stephen King, Miley Cyrus, etc - no, likely not taking Uber.
The best Uber driver I’ve had to date used to drive those—limo black car types of services.

But now he just drives on whim since he’s “retired” and he likes giving away charity rides.

Imho anyways, he wouldn’t accept tip. (The app won’t let me either).

Also one of the best conversations I’ve had.

KK2929

Not too far from the entrance of the Oakland Airport, there is a Business Jet Center for passengers traveling with a private jet. Whenever I am near the Oakland Airport, I wait for airport rides and I sometimes get a request from the Business Jet Center.

In my experiences, I've had two pax requesting a rideshare ride from the Business Jet Center and cancelling after the private jet plane belched out the passengers, for reasons probably they did not like the cars I've rented.

Why don't private jet passengers choose something else like UberBlack, Black SUV, Select, Lyft Lux/Black? Did they become broke and into financial debt by wasting too much money for private jet rides?
------------------------
Why would you take it personally ? They probably got a ride with someone else or maybe cabs hang around that area , too.

Wonkytonk

Even more so than riding on the surface, they are trusting us with their lives and often show appreciation.
That's factually incorrect. Transport via automobile is far more dangerous than flying including on private flights.

Link > Put it another way: Americans have a 1 in 114 chance of dying in a car crash, according to the National Safety Council. The odds of dying in air and space transport incidents, which include private flights and air taxis, are 1 in 9,821. < Link

tohunt4me

In New Orleans , the private jets usually land at the Lakefront airport.
Too much traffic at MSY.
I have seen helicopters flying out of MSY.
must feel like a sparrow in a swarm of Hawks !

At Lakefront, i can drive right onto the airfield.
Right up to the jet.
Post automatically merged:

People that have a lot of money
didnt get it by wasting it...
This is Fact.

JaredJ

I am a commercial pilot who has flown passengers on private jets and turboprops. None of these people have appeared cheap to me... they either get a rental car or Uber/Lyft most of the time. (Sometimes they have a personal vehicle at the destination, or someone meets the flight.) It is not unusual for them to tip the crew of the airplane, or buy us a meal. Even more so than riding on the surface, they are trusting us with their lives and often show appreciation.

Since I am also a driver, I have occasionally received rides from passengers arriving at the airport where I work. More often, though, it is the air crew going for food or lodging. These folks are fun for me to talk with, since we are all in aviation.
It's all the same to FBO passengers. Maybe theyll get an SUV if it's a large party. Also, many private plane owners have staff that will pick them up, so what you may be seeing are guests or friends invited on a trip.

The rich stay rich by being frugal. Many plane owners are of generational wealth. They're taught their money is a tool, often to do good. But boy do they like to travel.

Keep in mind that owning something like an Embraer is often a joint ownership between family members to split the cost. So, even owning a plane outright you'll often see 2 to 3 owners unless it's a corporation.

Benjamin M

Keep in mind that owning something like an Embraer is often a joint ownership between family members to split the cost. So, even owning a plane outright you'll often see 2 to 3 owners unless it's a corporation.
Many elites don't own the actual aircraft, they use charters. My aunt jets all over the place with VIPs, Stephen King (often with family) is a regular pax, for example.

It's the same concept as using RS instead of buying a car in the city.
Post automatically merged:

By the way, a civilian can purchase a decommissioned fighter jet (or even something like a U2 spy plane) pretty cheap. Like a boat, the major expense is upkeep and fuel. Not economically viable, which is why smart VIPs use charter aircraft. Often with the same crew.

Last edited:

Wolfgang Faust

I drive them often... Black and SUV

JimKE

I've driven a few folks from one of our local FBOs. Most of the rides have been either Lyft Lux or Lyft XL, and they have been NetJets crew members. NetJets (a Warren Buffet company) apparently has a connection with Lyft. They order XL for 2, and the only time I had a single pilot, he ordered Lux.

I have never been tipped by a NetJets crew member -- nice folks, but zero tips.

I've also had several private jet passengers. They've all tipped nicely.

Gilby