1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why does uber tell people not to tip instead of staying neutral

Discussion in 'Pay' started by Farah, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Farah

Farah

I can understand not blatantly asking customers for a tip, as some other transportation and service companies do, but why does Uber go out of its way to tell customers not to tip? As a service job, it is accepted that some customers may give a tip and they can decide to do so themselves. By advertising that no tip is necessary, it is basically stopping customers who would normally tip from doing so, which I feel is unfair because Uber does not provide any bonuses or extra compensation. I once went to a non-gratuity salon and put the tip I was going to give the person back in my pocket because they told me not to tip. This is the same thing.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  2. You're right, but there's really nothing that you can do to change Uber policy. Your only recourse is to stop driving for a company that actively discourages tipping.

negeorgia and Huberis like this.
  3. Backdash

Backdash

Why? It's an incentive to use the service.
    At the same time it disincentivizes drivers from delivering their highest level of service.

negeorgia, Farah and Sacto Burbs like this.
  4. Not so sure about that. Tipping usually occurs at the end of the ride. Drivers put their best foot forward hoping that there may be a tip in their future. If Uber adds a tipping option to the app, drivers will get complacent knowing that a tip, while not guaranteed, is highly likely.

5. Backdash

Backdash

Speaking for myself, if Uber tips were common I would do more to increase the likelyhood of a larger tip.

Like most, when I started I assumed if I put out for the passengers it would be worth the effort. Like all, I soon realized that it didn't happen as expected.

Now I have no incentive to deliver a next level of service.

6. Huberis

Huberis

Driving:
    Taxi
    Uber wants to be ubiquitous, they want their app on every phone. Via that app, they have access to a person's personal data and as the God's view story goes, the have the ability to recognize patterned behavior. All that is extremely value, more so I'd guess than the actual rides, Uber loses money on those terms.

Uber wants a riders experience to be as casual as can be, no tipping helps them create the illusion of a very easy experience without any kind of sense of intrusion. They seem to use the non tip mantra help create a kind of seamlessness of experience, they do not seem to want their passengers to need to think, for whatever reason. Tipping a driver, that requires being thoughtful, they discourage that. Look at how most pax vote, their vote is more repreentative of a reaction than it is thinking often enough.

So, my guess, is like all things Uber, the staunch effort to create a no tip environment is about power and control through illusion based on corporate need/greed.

As far as "Now I have no incentive to deliver a next level of service." Uber's rate structure is so screwed up and manipulative, the prices surg, but the surges can be tough to actually get a pax at. Drivers and pax try to game or manipulate the system. Given all that, why wouldn't tipping be an issue too? Tipping really isn't the biggest issue here, price as a function of desperation is at the root.

There is no single fix, there simple needs to be wide ranging reform which really can not happen while TMan is there, he is beyond reform.

negeorgia likes this.
  7. DieselkW

DieselkW

Driving:
    Lyft
    Uber does not tell people to NOT tip, they simply say it "is not necessary".
    Unfortunately for drivers, when Uber tells their riders what they want to hear, some internalize "not necessary" to mean "it is a felony to tip an Uber driver".

A tip is never "necessary", the very nature of a tip is voluntary.

It is not necessary to tip your waiter/waitress/server
    It is not necessary to tip your bartender
    It is not necessary to tip your stripper
    It is not necessary to tip your taxi cab driver

However, people tip those types of services because it is expected of them. Put a sign on a table at a restaurant "tipping is not necessary" and 90+% of diners will stiff the server.

I've had passengers ask me: "We're allowed to tip you?"
    I ask them; "who's stopping you? It's just us here in my car" Still no tip, they've been told it's "not necessary" and they're sticking to it.

The passengers that tip me are not bartenders, strippers, and servers. The passengers that tip me are casual Uber users that rarely need a ride - their car is sick for a short time and they appreciate that I arrived in 4 minutes, my car is clean, music is playing very softly, and I carried the conversation.

Lyft riders consistently tip a dollar or two from the app. Uber riders consistently say "thanks" and get out without a second thought of a tip.

Uber drives this behavior with the innocuous statement of "not necessary". Duh, it's NEVER necessary, but it absolutely should be expected by the nature of the service we provide.

negeorgia, mostwanted650 and Huberis like this.
  8. Huberis

Huberis

Driving:
    Taxi
    Pax are led by Uber to believe the gratuity is somehow built into the fare. That is the reason for using that particular language, the idea that tipping isnt "necessary". That is not the typical language used to describe the tipping culture in the food restaurant industry for example. Tipping within that industry is said to be at the discretion of the customer. It is clear that servers earn less than minimum.

Uber creates an illusion of high hourly wages for their drivers reflective of gross receipts for the day divided by time worked. Nothing is taken out.

The claim that tipping is not necessary is unique to Uber and entirely different from other examples for the reason that tips are said to be included in the fare and that is not factual. It is the reason for their use of the phrase "not necessary" It is a meaningful distinction.

9. ATX 22

ATX 22

3 words.
    Because they can.

negeorgia likes this.
  10. jrboy

jrboy

you're right you can't change uber policy but as an ic you can change your policy. for instance i don't provide bottled water anymore, i don't accept trips 10 minutes out, i don't open the door anymore or help with luggage. according to uber policy this is not a service. uber does not care about providing riders quality service.

RachelD likes this.
  11. HR_tdi

HR_tdi

Driving:
    UberX
    I only open doors at a hospital or if the person looks like they really need it or deserve it. No water, only mints. I have a dashcam with interior monitoring.

I just sell my story and sometimes it works out. That's all you gotta do...granted my story works that I'm a veteran, looking for real work, losing my house, and so on...i get at least one $20 tip a week, and average a tip from 1/3 of riders.

I also listen and give advice to some of the younger kids which I get tips from all age ranges, even college kids.

jrboy likes this.
  12. Turbo

Turbo

Next time water, mints or cord are requested: "Oh didn't you hear? Water is not necessary."

13. Skinny1

Skinny1

I'm new 60 trips in now. The pax have no clue and think its absolutely the norm to not tip.
    I never expect one but may adjust my ratings system. I've been tipped 3 times in 60+ trips.

14. DieselkW

DieselkW

Driving:
    Lyft
    I switched to Lyft on Sunday this past week, and now that it's Thursday, I've got 96% acceptance, 30 hours on line, and will have 10 "busy hours" by Saturday noon.

That will put me at 90% for the balance of the weekend.

I am already 50% OVER my average Uber earnings at this point in the week, and if the week is any indication of the weekend, I should be about double what I normally get from Uber.

Now I only turn on the Uber app when I'm far from home and need some rides to help me get back.

RachelD likes this.
  15. Skinny1

Skinny1

Picked up my $100 uber bonus, now in process with lyft for the $500. Awaiting background check and looking forward.to it.

RachelD and denverxdriver like this.
  16. 80sDude

80sDude

I had a pax tell me the other day " I saw a 20% tip on my receipt" I said show it to me... He couldn't find it.. He tipped my 5 Bucks.. He seemed really surprised by my answer .. " Tip is NOT INCLUDED IN THE FARE" So who has taking a dummy ride and verified this ? I simple haven't needed to use as Uber.. But I may soon just to see if there is a TIP INCLUDED IN MY FARE..

17. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe THAT'S the sign to put up. Started by
    "No need to tip with Uber"
    "Tipping is not necessary with Uber"

Then repeat the same with other TIPPED professions.

That would point out how silly it is to assume "not necessary" or "no need" to tip means you shouldn't.

negeorgia likes this.
  18. Simon

Simon

Driving:
    UberX
    Wrong

Attached Files:

jrboy likes this.
  19. LEAFdriver

LEAFdriver Moderator

Driving:
    Lyft
    I had someone I picked up in the Deerfield area who tried telling me the same thing. His total fare was less than $5. I told him I would get $3.20 out of that....before expenses and asked him "What part of that is the tip?" He couldn't give me a straight answer....and of course he didn't tip me.

20. Well not onlt that but Uber Drivers make anywhere between 90k to 100k / year or so people are led to believe... So they look at you like you should be the one giving them a tip because Uber is creating so MANY GREAT opportunities for so many people ... They also believe that you're making 35 dollars / hours just for signing on ... In brief Uber has put so many lies out there that the last thing on 99% of your pax's mind is to actually show you a little appreciation in the form of a little cash tip.