• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why do you drive Uber/Lyft?

Reason I drive Rideshare

• I am a retired senior and am looking for a way to pass the time / get out of the house

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I am a full time employee and do ride share before / after work for extra income

Votes: 19 42.2%
  • I have a minimum wage type job and need more income

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am doing rideshare to pay off debts and will quit when debts are paid off

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I drive taxi's etc. full time and rideshare is a natural extension

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I am between jobs

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I just got off the boat / plane / van and can't speak English. This is the only job I can get.

• I like to flirt with the girls and maybe I'll find a date

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I can get a regular job but really enjoy doing rideshare instead

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Rideshare is my career and I am really proud of what I do

• Total voters
I have watched and participated in this forum for a long time and feel I have gotten to know a number of the members. Many appear to be quite literate and intelligent and would seem to be able to do well at an good job. So I am wondering why you do rideshare. Why do you do rideshare even though you may feel the companies are among the most evil that exist.

I feel that the poll includes most of the possible answers, but I have probably missed a few. By the way, my answer is the first choice in the list.

grayspinner

Didn't really have my reasons on there :

I work from home, my youngest is the only one of my kids still at home & she spends half her time with her dad.

I can uber & do my full-time work in between rides. It gets me out of the house and talking to others and at the same time I can make money. I spent 19 years out of the workforce raising my kids & walked away from a bad marriage in an unfortunate financial situation - the extra money & the tax write-offs make a significant difference in my life.

Jay Dean

Late 2014: When I started, I made 1,500 a week without trying.
(somewhere in between I thought it would get better even with the cuts)
Early 2019: Car is barely hanging in, and my mechanic keeps it going. Basically just riding it out.

And you know, there is something to be said about being so used to something you just do it to do it, or as Morgan Freeman explained, you become "institutionalized" lol you just become a Uber/Lyft Driver. Now luckily when my car does finally quit, there is no way I would ever do this in another car. So, yeah...just waiting things out.

Last edited:

TomTheAnt

Extra cash. Gets me out of the house when I'm bored. I'm sort of addicted to it. Currently seeking treatment.
I can uber & do my full-time work in between rides.
I drive for Uber to have an extra income. I also use Uber to get out of the house. I rather be out there driving and making money instead of being at home going through the tv channels.
These three quotes sum up my reasons pretty well.

Jimalee

I needed better transportation and so I started driving to pay for the car and spending money.
Turns out I don't have a life so I uber to see and hear about everyone else life. The bonus I get paid and a better car. Win win.

UberBastid

I have watched and participated in this forum for a long time and feel I have gotten to know a number of the members. Many appear to be quite literate and intelligent and would seem to be able to do well at an good job. So I am wondering why you do rideshare. Why do you do rideshare even though you may feel the companies are among the most evil that exist.

I feel that the poll includes most of the possible answers, but I have probably missed a few. By the way, my answer is the first choice in the list.
The reason I did it (notice past tense) is to meet people and talk about my job search. They'd always ask, "how do you like driving for uber, how long you been doing it," etc, and that was my segway into a brief resume presentation and a wish for new work.
It eventually paid off, and I got a great job with fair wages and good working environment.
I used Uber for my own purposes.
They were a stepping stone.
Like a used Trojan ... it was fun, but done with ya now. Bye.

AlteredBeast

I started with Lyft so I could quit my corporate job and open up my own insurance agency. I applied for other night jobs and was turned away when I wouldn't work until 6 am. I started driving a week and a half before the busiest week in Omaha driving (the College World Series). I made a ton of money and genuinely enjoyed hauling people around and talking to folks.

Fast forward 8 months and I have put a lot of miles on my car, but it has kept me afloat while I build my customer base. Once I have enough income through my agency, I will probably keep driving as a hobby, but not 5 nights a week like I have been for the past 3 months. People here are hilariously negative and jaded. I made 1100 bucks last week in 32 hours. In that time I shared a ton of laughs, listened to audiobooks and great music, and got out of the house.

It isn't perfect work, and some nights are a boring slog, but I would say 75% of the time, I enjoy driving. That is way better than if I were doing night-stocking, building cleaning, or other remedial night-work, and it pays better, too.