1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why do you drive Uber/Lyft?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by John Campbell, Jan 12, 2019.

?
  1. I am a retired senior and am looking for a way to pass the time / get out of the house

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. I am a full time employee and do ride share before / after work for extra income

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  3. I have a minimum wage type job and need more income

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am doing rideshare to pay off debts and will quit when debts are paid off

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. I drive taxi's etc. full time and rideshare is a natural extension

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  6. I am between jobs

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  7. I just got off the boat / plane / van and can't speak English. This is the only job I can get.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. I like to flirt with the girls and maybe I'll find a date

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. I can get a regular job but really enjoy doing rideshare instead

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Rideshare is my career and I am really proud of what I do

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John Campbell

John Campbell

Driving:
    UberXL
    I have watched and participated in this forum for a long time and feel I have gotten to know a number of the members. Many appear to be quite literate and intelligent and would seem to be able to do well at an good job. So I am wondering why you do rideshare. Why do you do rideshare even though you may feel the companies are among the most evil that exist.

I feel that the poll includes most of the possible answers, but I have probably missed a few. By the way, my answer is the first choice in the list.

hrswartz and Jay Dean like this.
  2. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    You left off the sex appeal of being an Uber Driver.

Please fix :) I'll wait here.

3. I do it just so I don’t have to change diapers.

4. Extra cash. Gets me out of the house when I'm bored. I'm sort of addicted to it. Currently seeking treatment.

5. Didn't really have my reasons on there :

I work from home, my youngest is the only one of my kids still at home & she spends half her time with her dad.

I can uber & do my full-time work in between rides. It gets me out of the house and talking to others and at the same time I can make money. I spent 19 years out of the workforce raising my kids & walked away from a bad marriage in an unfortunate financial situation - the extra money & the tax write-offs make a significant difference in my life.

John Campbell, Uber Crack and Rakos like this.
  6. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Late 2014: When I started, I made 1,500 a week without trying.
    (somewhere in between I thought it would get better even with the cuts)
    Early 2019: Car is barely hanging in, and my mechanic keeps it going. Basically just riding it out.

And you know, there is something to be said about being so used to something you just do it to do it, or as Morgan Freeman explained, you become "institutionalized" lol you just become a Uber/Lyft Driver. Now luckily when my car does finally quit, there is no way I would ever do this in another car. So, yeah...just waiting things out.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  7. Ovaro

Ovaro

I drive for Uber to have an extra income. I also use Uber to get out of the house. I rather be out there driving and making money instead of being at home going through the tv channels.

8. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    I drive Uber and Lyft so I'll have what to talk about when I visit this website.

9. Uber Crack

Uber Crack Author

Driving:
    UberX
    I drive because it brings happy chemicals to my brain...Dopamine, Serotonin, Endorphins and Oxytocin.
    That's my excuse this week.

John Campbell and Jay Dean like this.
  10. I drive cause I like cake

11. Badges

Masochist with a vomit fetish

Bro Olomide likes this.
  12. TomTheAnt

TomTheAnt

Driving:
    UberX
    These three quotes sum up my reasons pretty well.

John Campbell and Pax Collector like this.
  13. New2This

New2This

My probation officer said it was this or dig ditches. I'm allergic to manual labor so here I am. :rolleyes:

Cableguynoe likes this.