1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why do we expect tips?

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Geno71, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wardell Curry

Wardell Curry Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I think he meant rider gives him a 5 star rating , not 5 dollars.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Shangsta likes this.
  2. Back it up Uber

Back it up Uber Active Member

Ahhh.. you're right, just went back and read it again.

3. UberChicago80

UberChicago80 Active Member

Tip me so I can upgrade my extra value meal

Nenee likes this.
  4. Geno71

Geno71 Well-Known Member

Goes both ways. So they say "why should I do anything above the absolute minimum, people don't tip anyway"" and on the other hand riders are saying "why should we tip for this absolute minimum service?"

The analogy with bartenders don't work. A bartender gets way less than minimum wage from their employer. A better one will be comparing yourself to a McDonalds worker, if you feel like you get minimum wage, then people don't tip. Then face it guys, we're the fast food of transportation, right? Accept it or move on to something else.

Actually on most days I clear around $18-20 per hour, that's before my expenses and taxes of course, but many people, even working minimum wage jobs still get taxed withheld from their $8 per hour too, and have to get to work and possibly other expenses. IDK about everyone, but I definitely not a minimum wage worker when I drive with Uber.

This might be completely different for full time drivers that drive for Uber and Lyft as their main source of income. If that's the case, I think you should be looking for a normal job, Uber should not be anyone's main job. I drive part time, 6-7 hours on Friday and Saturday, I do about 25 rides per weekend, average around 250 miles per weekend and about $250-260 (that's my goal). I figured that's average of $10 per ride, $1 per mile (including unpaid miles). Any tips that I get is a nice little extra on top of that, I never mention them and never worry about getting them or not.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    SmokestaXX, Shangsta and mwalmins like this.
  5. hulksmash

hulksmash Well-Known Member

I think driver complaints come from the fact that Uber is the only provider in the service industry known to man that actively discourages tipping and does not provide a convenient way to do so. They basically tell drivers "don't accept tips unless they really wanna give it to you, then only take it reluctantly" and pax "you know, you really don't have to tip, our drivers make enough, even without surge" Lyft and other service providers tell customers "tips for excellent service are certainly not required but greatly appreciated"

Why do bartenders and waiters get tips? Because owners know society expects customers to tip these people so they take advantage by paying them less.

Uber either thinks drivers don't have expenses, or they knowingly pay less than minimum wage but don't welcome tips. Other livery drivers make more for the same job but get tips. Shuttle drivers get a guaranteed wage and don't bear vehicle expenses and get tips. Drivers just want a fair chance of getting tips by encouraging Tips and providing a function to do so on the app

SmokestaXX, LASAC_BER and Nenee like this.

6. Geno71

Geno71 Well-Known Member

Ok maybe that's how it used to be with Uber, but they're now clearly say that tips are welcome to both riders and drivers. Of course it's not going to change anything after years of promoting "no tips required", but their support articles on tipping now say they're always welcome and drivers will be happy to accept them.

Why are you saying they pay less than minimum wage? Is Uber your only job?

7. Steven Ambrose

Steven Ambrose Well-Known Member

I do not expect anything from anyone, although this week saw a major jump in tips and the night shift is yielding a lot more.

To make it clear, my life goes on whether someone tips me or not. However, just like the case I posted in a prior thread, I do not appreciate or respect someone that laughs about not tipping me. I get it a-hole, you do not have to tip me, but don't rub my face in it. No one likes that attitude and no one respects or appreciates a schmuck. I can deal with someone stating that they do not carry cash, but have some class and just state that. Don't giggle and laugh about not tipping because then you are just a patronizing POS and I want nothing to do with you.

Agent99, Lets_Eat, SMH Uber and 4 others like this.
  8. DollarStoreChauffeur

DollarStoreChauffeur Well-Known Member

Why? Because the base fares are an absolute ripoff to drive for.

9. u-Boat

u-Boat Well-Known Member

West of the Atlantic, East of the Pacific
    Driving:
    UberXL
    It's pretty simple. Drivers will stop *****ing about no tips and low pay when uBer either raises rates or allows drivers to set their own rates. Drivers are independent contractors, not employees. Where does uBer's sense of entitlement come from?

SaltyUber and simpsonsverytall like this.
  10. simpsonsverytall

simpsonsverytall Well-Known Member

We are expected to provide not only a (functional) utility (point 'A' to point 'B' safely, and relatively punctual),
    but also expected to provide a (customer) service of providing a clean, friendly environment(ranging from a smile and small talk, to an aux cord/music and a bottled water), as well as expected to assist with(ie 'carry') luggage or shopping items. In addition to such customer service, there are also occasionally situations in which a skilled driver can go beyond safety and relative punctuality, and actually make the ride comfortable, time saving, and more convenient.

The industry has developed a market rate that is based upon a base fare as well as a gratuity which considers service.
    The Standard is Fifteen to twenty percent.

We are supposed to be getting 15-20% of every FARE.

Yet Uber has not only lowered the base rates(utility), they have all but eliminated the TIP(service!).
    Yet we are EXPECTED TO PROVIDE THE SERVICE FOR FREE!?!? :mad:

'A Closer Look'
    Say we drive UberX 20 hours a week for 50 weeks a year, and we gross $15/hour driving:
    $15 * 20 * 50 = $15,000 SALARY
    Uber takes 25% Commission from our fares , We get 75%.
    To find our Total Fares we have to divide our 'Gross Earnings' by 75%;
    $15,000 / 0.75 = $20,000 = TOTAL FARES DRIVEN
    15%TIP for $20K fares = $3,000

That $3,000 = 20% of $15,000 ! one fifth of our earnings!!! :mad:

Ubershafted and u-Boat like this.
  11. Geno71

Geno71 Well-Known Member

Maybe it's geographical thing, but minimum wage in Pittsburgh is $7.25 per hour, I easily make 2-3 times that on any average night with Uber or Lyft. If you're truly making that minimum wage of whatever it is in your area, then why are you wasting your time with Uber? I know I would not do it for $7.25. And remember, that's $7.25 before they pay their income tax and expenses. Even after I take out taxes, gas and other expenses, I'm left with over $10 per hour, and some tips. True minimum wage workers are left with like $4, and no tips.

12. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    If you are actually spending all of the allotted $0.54 deduction on expenses, you are doing something significantly wrong. Using that allotment to showcase just a $35 profit in 1000 miles driven is a fallacy and shows you do not know what a deduction is. That just means you will only owe taxes on $35 rather than owe taxes on $575.

My car requires an oil change every 6000 miles. That oil change costs me $45 with free tire rotation, balancing and car detail. That's a costs of $0.0075 a mile. I get 20 MPG, so in that 1000 miles, I spent $0.102 a mile. Depreciation is hard to calculate, I bought used and bought at a great price. I don't put much more (maybe 30% more miles) per year than the average commuter.

And if you are NEVER driving during Surge, then you are again doing something wrong...

My car and insurance payments are covered by my full time job. Expenses I would have had without Ubering...

Uber was never meant to be a full time job. If you insist on putting a square peg in the circle hole, you're gonna have a bad time...

Geno71 likes this.
  13. Geno71

Geno71 Well-Known Member

"Where does uBer's sense of entitlement come from?"

They offer the platform that connects you with riders. You can go try to find your own clients and pay Uber absolutely zero, can you do that? Create your own app, promote it, put ads on social media and TV... you get the idea I hope.

"That $3,000 = 20% of $15,000 ! one fifth of our earnings!!!"

That's what I said in my original post, no one ever promised or even implied that you will get ANY tips, yet you feel like you're being cheated out of fifth of your earnings.

14. hulksmash

hulksmash Well-Known Member

No I have a full time job and only do it as a side gig. However, I only surpass minimum wage after expenses most nights because I stick to busy hours (read surge) hours, do XL, and follow advice from other posters here. If I drove the way Uber wanted me to, I'd miss out on a lot of $ even during these times.

Base rates here are .90 per mile .15 min. After 25% it's 67.5 and .1125 Say my vehicle costs .30c per mile to drive. If I drive 60 miles to a remote area that takes an hour each way and have to deadhead back, I've made $40.50 to drive 120 miles and 6.75 for 2 hours of my time. Those 120 miles cost me $36 to drive, so I'm left with 4.50 net for mileage and 6.75 for time for a total of 11.25 for 2 hours of work, or $5.63 per hour. Only way this becomes good money is if it's a one way trip near where you needed to be anyway, but usually that's not when you get these trips

As far as tipping, Uber could easily backup their new tipping stance by adding a tip function to the passenger app.

15. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

I don't ask tip for tips and don't expect it. And I won't rate people 1 for not tipping me. But uber explicitly says "tips are not expected and not required" which is not right. Let the passenger decide what they want to do with their money and allow a tipping option.

kabibe and Notch Johnson like this.
  16. Do tell

Do tell Well-Known Member

You posted the funniest words I ever read on the internet.hahahahaha

17. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    What are you actually spending $360 for every 1200 miles driven?

I feel drivers are putting far too much weight and concern on depreciation then is actually true.

Let's say 1200 is for a week of driving....

So you really believe you spend $1440 a month, $17,280 a year in expenses for Uber? Even at severe depreciation, there's no way that would account for a $17,280 in expenses unless you are actually buying a new car every year to Uber...

Even if it's 1200 a month of driving...

That's $4320 in expenses yearly. That's 14,400 miles you've added to your vehicle that you otherwise wouldn't have put on there. If you are accounting most of that $4320 in depreciation, that would only make sense if you bought a brand new car with zero miles on it, in which case, that depreciation happened the second you drove off the lot and not from driving Uber...

A lot of doom and gloom with drivers on this board... if Uber is truly that bad, why continue?

If you are a part timer and have a full time job, you car and insurance expenses which you had before Uber cannot count towards your Ubering. Those are expenses you already had before and without Uber.... if you do account for Uber now having to cover your car and insurance expenses, well then that just freed up the same amount from your full time job... so net net, it evens out in the end...

1rightwinger likes this.
  18. Do tell

A new member asked the perfect troll question and you all took the bait.LOL

19. Do tell

Op asks,why do we expect tips?Answer,because we don't drive self-driving cars...............yet.lol

20. simpsonsverytall

simpsonsverytall Well-Known Member

So true. Was simply explaining how Uber has changed the game - for drivers who think that by driving on the Uber app, that they have promised or implied to provide a taxi-like service to the passengers.

I personally agree with you, Geno:
    1. Whenever convenient, I turn my app on an hour before I have to leave for my real job, or an hour before I plan to go run errands, visit friends etc.
    2. I get a 'ping/request' and if the 'pick up location' is reasonably close, I call to find out where they are headed.
    3. If headed in my direction, I pick them up.
    4. I don't carry luggage, or attempt to provide any service. (not mean either, just relaxed and natural)
    5. If the fare is a high surge or a profitable opportunity, or an upfront tip, I'll take them to their 'Destination'.
    6. Otherwise, I drive toward my work, or my errands, and take them as far as possible along my route.
    7. I stop in a safe location, and thank them, and instruct them to call another Uber to complete their trip.

It's a great platform that Uber offers.
    For as long as my account remains active, Uber basically pays for all my gas and maintenance.
    Once in a while i get a large surge, and Uber pays for my errands or date as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.