1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why do we expect tips?

Discussion in 'Tips' started by Geno71, Dec 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geno71

Geno71 Active Member

Reading the forums, I see a trend. A lot of drivers talk about tips like it's expected and riders are a-holes for not tipping. People talk about rating "non-tippers" low, which race tips or doesn't tip, comparing driving to waiting tables and so on...

When we sign up for Uber or Lyft, no where was it guaranteed, promised or even implied that we will be getting tips. Both apps show in their own way that tips are possible, with Lyft doing a little bit better job at that, but nothing out there points to the idea that we "deserve" to be tipped for just doing the driving.

I know about the expenses, and about all the ways Uber is screwing drivers, but I don't count on and don't expect tips, that way when I get them it's a nice surprise, I appreciate them, but don't get bent out of shape when I don't.

Where does this sense of entitlement is coming from?

Furdog777, mwalmins, Lets_Eat and 9 others like this.
  2. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

Why do waiters and bartenders expect tips ?

3. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

I don't expect them, but I certainly "appreciate" them. Also waiter(esses) get paid below minimum wage, because they work for tips. I don't call that entitlement.

4. ChortlingCrison

ChortlingCrison Well-Known Member

Give the OP some time to mull that one over.

5. tohunt4me

tohunt4me Well-Known Member

At least we don't put visine in non tippers drinks . . .

Attached Files:

UberNaToo, kent kent, LadyDi and 2 others like this.

6. UberAnt39

UberAnt39 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Why do Uber employees keep creating new IDs here? Where does their sense of entitlement come from?

Leo., UberNaToo, Lets_Eat and 26 others like this.
  7. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't get bent out of shape for not getting tips, but can you blame people for expecting them? As drivers, we are in the service industry and, typically speaking, are underpaid if you do not take advantage of the gimmick surge pricing; if you live in America (idk, do you?), it is customary to tip these type of workers, whether you agree with this practice or not. While most businesses seem perfectly happy to let their patrons subsidize their servers for a living wage, Uber took the stance that tipping was not needed yet still slashed many drivers pay to minimum wage or below with regular rates. Also consider that it is common etiquette to tip livery drivers who make more but not rideshare drivers who essentially provide the exact same service. And you wonder why that would piss someone off??

Look, I think the entire concept of tipping as a crutch to underpay your workers is a ridiculous system and should absolutely be done away with. I'd be perfectly happy with a higher flat pay and you can just do away with tips and even surge (or at least rework it). Heck, even a dollar or two "gas fee" that goes straight to the driver which would be a great alternative to tipping. Only for the driver (or waiter or bellhop or whomever) that truly goes above and beyond should get a tip.

I only agree that we knew exactly what to expect when we signed up. If anyone does not like the system as is, there are loads of other jobs out there available for those who would work them. It is only when Uber (or whichever company) alienates their workforce to such an extent that there is a mass exodus or only the bottom of the barrel left working that they will be forced to be introspective about their decisions regarding pay, tipping and driver treatment.

8. Geno71

Geno71 Active Member

Saying "we work hard and Uber doesn't pay us enough" sounds like entitlement to me. Waiters and bartenders work on a different pay system, people working at McDonnalds make more per hour from the company than a waiter at a nice restaurant or a bartender at the club, they expected to be paid tips to actually make money and it's a motivator to do a better job. As Uber drivers, no one seems to feel motivated to do anything above the very minimum, am I wrong?

So let me say this again, I don't have anything against getting a tip. It feels good, sure. And sometimes it's stupid, I even talked in some of my posts about being tipped or not, like a guy who was a waiter and spent 10 minutes telling me how important tips are in his honest opinion and that he will make damn sure he'll tip me in the Uber app. I just laughed and wished he wouldn't talk about it at all. What I don't get it this sense of "a pax are a-holes, they don't tip, I rate them 1 for that..." The waiter guy still got a 5 from me, I probably should have tipped him (to be fair, I think he just didn't realize Uber app didn't have the option).

I don't hate tips, I love them. I'm not arguing against tips, I'm arguing against people that feel like they always deserve tips. You know who you are.

P.S. Was the Uber employee comment for me?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  9. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Job=Waiter/Waitress/Hourly_Rate

Because on average, wait staff get paid significantly less than minimum wage and truly rely on tips to make ends meat.

While I'd love to get tipped more, and I do get tipped often enough, I know my base earnings before tips is far greater than that of the average wait staff.

ColdRider, dmitry_cmr and Geno71 like this.
  10. Tnasty

Tnasty Active Member

It's the insult that is Fuber,they cheapened an industry down to a gig,side hustle,to people just doing this for fun.Start going to restaurants and when tip time comes,leave your Uber coupon card as a tip!

Yam Digger, Cathi, melusine3 and 2 others like this.
  11. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

I dont demand tips but I appreciate them. We are providing a service. Taxi and shuttle drivers get tips as well.

Yam Digger, merkurfan, LadeeB and 5 others like this.
  12. Maksim

Maksim Well-Known Member

I would not rate a passenger a 1 star for not tipping but...

Taxicabs get tips
    Car service gets tips
    Limo drivers get tips...

Why shouldn't an uber driver making $8 an hour not get tips?

As others said, when UBER can in, rates were worthwhile.

Since dropping rates.... it is a min wage job.

What are tips for? I think an UBER driver who provides a clean car, safe driving and a good chat deserves a TIP more than a waiter who screws up your order and doesn't give a rats ass about you.

Tips are there to reward good to great service.

Yam Digger, melusine3, me2 and 9 others like this.
  13. Mears Troll Number 4

Mears Troll Number 4 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Back when Uber started, tips weren't necessary,

Now there's just no making ends meet in most markets doing this,

The tips i get doing the taxi game often EXCEED the entire uberX fare for the same trip.

It's not like they couldn't charge the nearly the same rates as taxis and get away with it.

But what Am i saying, it's not like The Orlando area has 6 theme parks, 4 water parks, one of the top convention centers in the world, and 160 hotels (on just one road) feeding the tourist industry out here.

14. Aaron Beauchamp

Aaron Beauchamp Active Member

Driving:
    Lyft

I agree with you, that we shouldn't expect tips. Tips are not mandatory. when I get them, that's great, but I don't solicit for them. I totally am on board with you.

What irks me is that Uber not only doesn't provide a tip option on their app, but indirectly discourages it. Now, that's total bunk.

Yam Digger, canipe, Cathi and 7 others like this.
  15. jonhjax

jonhjax Active Member

Working for uber you make more than minimum wage? Not in my market. Is 1000 miles a week a good start for full time drivers? I'll go ahead and use this mileage amount to make a point. The uber x rate here is $.75 per mile. Take 25% from that and you get $.575 per mile. The IRS mileage deduction is $.54 per mile, right? $.575-$.54=$.035 per mile and $.035×1000=$35.00. That's $35.00 per 1000 miles. That is less than minimum wage, right?

16. jonhjax

jonhjax Active Member

Excuse me, my math is wrong. Uber pays drivers here $.5625 per mile base wage. That comes out to $26.25 per mile . Still less than minimum wage.

17. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So saying we work hard and uber doesn't pay us enough is entitlement, but for waiters and bartenders they expect to actually make money and tips are a motivator to do a better job?

How are WE entitled, but waiters and bartenders are not? Many uber drivers are making less than minimum wage, AND they are providing a $20,000 piece of equipment to do it.

How much would bartenders gripe if they got very few tips AND had to buy the equipment used in the bar?

And yes, uber drivers are not very motivated to do much above minimum, but that's not why we don't get tips, the lack of tips is why many are NOT motivated. I can bend over backwards for pax and 90+% still don't tip, so no, I'm not motivated to do it.

It's the same reason I'll be nice as pie to someone on a long surge trip, but am barely polite to someone on a trip I'm making less than $3.

If pax tipped roitinely, and were likely to tip more every time a driver had water and mints, or went through a drive thru, or waited for them to get ready, or drove them to an area the driver would be deadheading back, drivers would rarely refuse to do any of those things. They wouldn't call for destination, many would provide amenities, they wouldn't refuse to wait...

Service would immediately improve. And if 95% of pax tipped, low rating them for NOT tipping would quickly decimate their rating, and non tippers would truly have trouble getting a ride.

Most drivers don't downrate non tippers because it's do many of them. If tipping were the usual, instead of the exception, non tippers would be treated like the bums they are: you might pick them up if it's slow or you want to see if you can get back to another area, but they would be the pax thst you refuse to do anything extra for. Right now ALL the pax suffer because few tip. If most tipped, only the non tippers would get lousy service.

18. FL_Dex

FL_Dex Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    When Uber first started the driver pay was higher and tipping really wasn't necessary. Since then Uber has increased their take and cut rates. The company's evolution on cutting driver compensation was very fast, reversing their stance on tipping was very slow and lukewarm at best.

Right now drivers are not being compensated at rates that reflect the actual expense of operating a car. Tips are how you bridge that gap in the service industry.

I had a pax last night, a flight attendant for Jet Blue, who took me 40 minutes out of a profitable area to the middle of nowhere and a guaranteed deadhead back to civilization. Personally, I think that rated a $10 minimum for a tip but she just walked off. She was nice, so that's a choice between 2* and 3*. I gave her 3* because she was at least personable. Another guy going 35 minutes the other way wanted a custom route and a stop at McDonalds drive through. That should be an automatic $5. He thought giving me a 5* was enough of a tip. 2* for him.

Most pax get it. They look at what they're paying and understand drivers can't be making **** at those rates. Sometimes they duck out because they don't have any cash, I cut them some slack. Other times they are the merely thoughtless mixed in with a few who are just being a-holes. The thoughtless and the dicks get low ratings and I sleep just fine.

19. Wardell Curry

Wardell Curry Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't expect tips anymore because I know most pax are cheap and refuse to pay extra for good service. This is why I provide basic service. Arrive at pickup, wait for pax, drive to destination and that's it. If a passenger wants to talk I will talk. Otherwise, I just listen to my music quietly which works for me. It is a lot better than providing excellent service and then repeatedly getting shafted with no tip.

Bo Duke, Agent99, kabibe and 15 others like this.
  20. Back it up Uber

Back it up Uber Active Member

You need to stop driving immediately! This job is definitely not for you. Guy gives you a $5 tip and you rate him a 2? Lol wow

crazytown and Missct234 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.