• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why do taxi drivers get tipped?

DRider85

See when I was joined Uber I heard from others that the tip is included. And when I found out that wasn't true I was baffled.

So why is that most other people offering a service get tipped, but Uber drivers don't?

This really isn't about me thinking tips are gonna be the be all end all. But why is it that Uber drivers are the only people who provide a service and don't get tips.

So maybe waiters and bartender shouldn't get tipped as well. These people that are so cheap, they take pool for 5 minute drives so they can be cheap. Distrusting.

DRider85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Blame the upper management of Uber........and actually people tip taxis cuz they feel we provide better service?......I don't know but blame Uber
Well Uber made people feel it's okay not to tip. And whether they caused it or not, many people thought they were already tipping. So I don't see why people would tip a taxi for a service that is more expensive. Plus uber encourages us to buy water for ratings. Ratings are something they invented. It's just not right the more I think about it. Lyft did it right. Lyft at least provides an option.

I don't care all that much about getting a couple more dollars a week in tips. I've gotten a couple 20 dollar cash tips. But it goes beyond that. It's about what Uber caused people to think and how to behave. That just not right. No in app tip option, yet they encourage us to buy water out of our pockets to help keep our ratings up, something they invented. Uber should at least reimburst us for the waters.

Not only do taxi drivers get tips but they don't have to worry about ratings.

Shangsta

I don't get what you don't understand driver. Taxis get tips because they are in the service industry.

Uber drivers don't get tips because it is discouraged by Uber like these two cabbies explained. Even lyft pax who don't tip do it because some of them use the Uber app too.

No one to blame for the lack of tips but Uber. I still tip my waiters, car wash folks etc. Their bosses don't tell you not to tip them

You know why Uber taxi has tips? No taxi would drive for Uber without tips

Last edited:

touberornottouber

Taxis get tipped as in most cases the driver needs that tip to make a decent wage. When I drove a taxi basically the goal was for my tips to pay for my gas. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't.

For Uber as already said Uber discouraged it from the start. Also in the beginning it seems Uber drivers were making 2-3 times what they are now per hour. So it was more understandable that we didn't get tipped. Now however the average driver REALLY needs it. My average per hour here in the daytime is about $5 per hour gross (I'm only part time working out of my home mostly)! Yes, more tips would be a big help.

DRider85

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber really shouldn't discourage it. It's wrong. On top of that it is encouraged that we spend money on water and mints to keep up the arbitrary ratings which they created. It's not right. At least lyft has an option. I respect that.

You know it's not right when you hear passengers from lyft say it's not right that you can't tip for Uber. I've been getting tips with lyft. It's crazy when I give my pax mints and water and they don't tip me and then I give them a 5 and they give me a 4. That's not right. It get my square reader but this goes beyond money. It's ethics.

Last edited:

arcterus

Travis Kalanick has a theory, that there's a large group of people in the world who WANT to be slaves. They want to be lied to. They want to be punished. Deep inside, they feel like they don't deserve to be treated with decency or respect. Therefore they can't have nice things like tips or benefits. They need to be told that they are so worthless they should be replaced with robots.

Travis thinks these people will willingly give up their time, labor, and valuable possessions to make him very rich, as long as he keeps abusing them. Unfortunately, he appears to be right.

Trafficat

Do taxi drivers need tips to make up for a smaller overall salary? I know a handful of taxi drivers on this board claim to make more, and I know also that taxi drivers in the past used to make more than in the present (where rideshare companies take a large amount of marketshare), but I wonder about the average taxi driver in the present.

simpsonsverytall

People choose whether or not to tip based upon whether or not tipping is a social norm.

"Social norms or 'mores' are the rules of behavior that are considered acceptable in a group or society. People who do not follow these norms may be shunned or suffer some kind of consequence. Norms change according to the environment or situation and may change or be modified over time."

Uber strategically disseminated propaganda to inform the public that first tipping was included, and then that it was not required or expected.

Are your passengers cheap bastards? Yes! But that cheap bastard that didn't tip you, tipped his bartender tonight. He tipped the taxi driver this weekend. He tips the pizza man, and his barista at the coffee shop, and his barber, and the valet, and...

Mars Troll Number 4

Do taxi drivers need tips to make up for a smaller overall salary? I know a handful of taxi drivers on this board claim to make more, and I know also that taxi drivers in the past used to make more than in the present (where rideshare companies take a large amount of marketshare), but I wonder about the average taxi driver in the present.
Some food for thought.. here in Orlando one of the cab companies closed up shop and the other companies absorbed their business. (The first cab company in Orlando to fold since uber started up here.

We can also assume that no one in their right mind is going to start a new cab company well.. basically nowhere on earth.

The company I drive for also has fewer cars running around the clock, and more cars on a weekly lease plan (1 driver has the car all week instead of 2 people) why.. the drivers on an individual level are doing better cherry picking the best hours of the week compared to sharing a car between 2 guys and running it around the clock. So it's a subtle adaption that most people would never guess.

The cab drivers are doing far better here in Orlando than I would have guessed a year ago and the companies that are really suffering probobly deserve to go under.

About whether or not I "NEED" tips...

Well assuming 20% average in tips (about my normal) is a huge difference for me.

$250 on the meter with no tips translates to $110 in pay/profit.

$250 on the meter plus another 20% in tips is $300 in gross revenue or about $160 in pay/profit.

$160 is 145% of $110

So 20% in tips is a %45 increase in my actual profit/pay. Not a small amount but any means.

shiftydrake

Well here in St Louis I drive for the biggest and best also the longest running cab company we have thousands of accounts we also run school kids to and from school and most of the people that ride Uber do for the price difference and the fact that it is the "new toy".....so it's mostly college kids on daddy's credit card and some adults......

But a lot if the people I pick up state that they will never ride Uber cuz they realize all the things about knowing who the driver is and no drugs no criminal and the just don't trust Uber.......so anyway tips to me is about 75-80% on each trip so yeah the tips help a lot but I don't survive on just my tips the actual fare is what I make my $$ on

Not only do taxi drivers get tips but they don't have to worry about ratings.
Yes you are right about that.......so stands to reason why aren't you driving a taxi?......everything you just complained about in this post can be answered by you stopping driving for Uber and go drive a taxi.......if not then why b!tch? About everything you don't like about Uber 1 day it's cuz you don't get tips.......another day it's cuz you get rated bad.......and still another day you complain about giving stuff to your riders.........easy fix drive a taxi

tohunt4me

See when I was joined Uber I heard from others that the tip is included. And when I found out that wasn't true I was baffled.

So why is that most other people offering a service get tipped, but Uber drivers don't?

This really isn't about me thinking tips are gonna be the be all end all. But why is it that Uber drivers are the only people who provide a service and don't get tips.

So maybe waiters and bartender shouldn't get tipped as well. These people that are so cheap, they take pool for 5 minute drives so they can be cheap. Distrusting.
Because Travis Hates Drivers !
Uber was started because he couldn't get a cab.
Now he is eliminating drivers.

Last edited:

Vampire76

I find it odd that I work in the UK as a taxi driver and the UK generally has a no tipping culture in comparison to the US that I regularly receive tips.
Seems Uber is a cheap service for cheap people and it's up to the drivers to change it. Without drivers uber has no power.

Mars Troll Number 4

Last night I had $75 in tips, a reall my kick A night. Made $300 in profit total.

I paid less for my taxi for a Wednesday 9:00 pm shift than I had in tips.

I_Like_Spam

Taxi drivers get tipped because its a long standing cultural thing in this country and around the world.

When Mr. Kalanick came up with Uber, the idea was to eliminate the cab industry completely by offering something totally different.

über discourages tipping because it was such a big part of cabs.