• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why do so many ants avoid driving at night?

5☆OG

Only time its dark is when i start usually around 5 am...i dont want to deal with drunks. And the most important part is i dont have to. I also like to put my eyes on whos getting in my car. Much more difficult at night. Traffic is much heavier here in las vegas at night. Risk on or near the strip for run ins via people or incidents goes up exponentially. Yes , you can kill it on kbs but there is an inherent risk associated with those passangers.....

Just picked up a dude the other day and he hung his head out the window puking...all I had to do is spray it off at the cleaner but he tipped 20 so I guess it made up for it?!?! I stopped after that night

Trafficat

99.9% of the time I find the drunks are fun, happy and easygoing. They tip great, they're friendly, they're not on a set schedule so they don't care about an extra minute longer, etc. Of course you can get a bad apple once in a blue moon but they're a major exception. Not to mention the surges at the bar areas.

All the bad rides I have had occurred during the day - business people with a hectic timetable, college students late for class. Not to mention, alcohol is a great social lubricant for pax, and without it, many of my rides are filled with awkward silence. The 2 one stars I ever received were both during the day.

Have I just been lucky or is there something I'm missing? I know someone will post the drunk pax hitting the driver gif, but I mean aside from that one in a million type thing.
I drive mainly nights. Too many nights someone pukes on my seats, pees on my seats, or spills their beer on my seats. I enjoy the increased pay from surges and bonuses, but considering the amount of time I've spent cleaning my car from such incidents, I'm not really convinced the pay increase is worth it. I'll still drive nights because at the end of the day, the reason I drive nights is because it is more exciting.

Night time means more predators and less prey. When it is night time you become a target for all the predators due to the limited amount of prey.

You are far more likely to get a ticket at night because you'll be one of the few cars on the road so cops will look for excuses to pull you over. Furthermore, the crazies tend to be crazier. I've had two people throwing stones at my windows at intersections and both times it was between midnight and 4 AM.

The way I see it, at night time you maybe have twice the potential to make money between less traffic, surges, quest bonus, etc., but ten times the potential for something bad to happen.

Last edited:

Trafficat

Maybe some particles got into the window seal and will be there forever ??
I had some riders the other night. The guy tells the girl to roll down the window to puke if she needs to. I quickly correct them and instruct them to have me pull over. I'd rather them puke on my floor mat than out the window for that reason. Taking apart the door to clean the inside of the door is the last thing I want to do.

Invisible

Few reasons ... main one is that I'm not a night person - I prefer to wake up early and go to bad early.

Visibility is horrible, especially now in the winter. Here in Milwaukee most of 1-3 am pickups are gonna be on Brady & Water streets - two streets with a lot of bars in. You have to be extra careful not to hit drunks because all of the sudden they will start walking in the middle of the road or jump from the sidewalk to the road on scooters. Since there are a lot of bars on those two streets, there are a lot of Ubers/Lyfts and its impossible to find a place to stop - and let's face it, drunks won't come out right away. I have to keep driving in a circle for 3-4 minutes because there is no place to stop for 3-4 minutes.

And then when you finally pick up paxhole, there will be a big SUV behind you with a really bright lights in my rearview mirror ...

So I really don't see any benefits of driving nights. I would make a same amount of money, be extra tired and be in a increased risk of pukers and getting into an accident. I love 6-7 am crowd - most of them just sit in the back and play on their phone.
Picking up Brady St is the worst. It was a drunk mess the Sat before Halloween. I worked til almost 2am, and I had no place to stop on Brady and couldn’t find pax. Everything you wrote is spot on!

After driving 10-12 hours during the daytime, I'm ready to head home, get out of the car, and relax.

I'd guess most drivers drive such a schedule, and feel that way.

This is hard to understand?
I like the 4am to 6am for airport rides and generally make somewhere around 40-75 give or take. I'll probably make more now since it's super cold outside. Sometimes I'll wake up and do 1pm to 4pm and the 7pm to 11pm...or just one or the other.

waldowainthrop

I carry barf bags designed for my dog for passengers. Rear seat pocket and glovebox. ? ?

Don’t make me make you use them, you dogs. ?

These bags are incredible – I saved a $2000 car from becoming a revolting mess over 20 times by helping my dog avoid the seats ?. Of all the experiences in my life, maybe this is the one that prepared me the most for rideshare driving at night.

WindyCityAnt

The bar pax in the city are great for the most part if they are locals. Just taking there lady out for the night, or trying to get her home safe. Paying it for them.

It’s the young dudes from the burbs who have over paid for drinks all night, lost there minds. Needing a ride home after they got kicked out from the 3rd in the night. Those are the worst.

Ladies can be loud and annoying yes, but usually try and have flirty fun conversations with everyone in the ride. They prolly already pregamed it up before my arrival. Lol.

MiamiKid

After driving 10-12 hours during the daytime, I'm ready to head home, get out of the car, and relax.

I'd guess most drivers drive such a schedule, and feel that way.

This is hard to understand?
Strongly agree. How would anyone not get this?

jazzapt

Why do so many ants avoid driving at night? Because people are different, and what works for one, is another’s nightmare.

Some drivers like to have sparkling conversation with pax. Others (me) prefer silence so they can concentrate on driving.

Some drivers want pax to sit in front to bond or for safety reasons. Others (me) aren’t looking for new friends, consider the front their space, and prefer pax sit in the back.

Some drivers don’t mind giving the aux cord or hooking up Bluetooth so pax can listen to their music. Others (me) find what a lot of people listen to today to be audio torture, and would prefer silence over what they call music.

Some drivers find driving around drunks to be fun and profitable, and are willing to put up with the occasional obnoxious/belligerent drunk or puker. Some find it difficult driving in the dark and prefer to work the rush hours. Others (me) can’t stand drunks, but love the traffic-free early morning. So they do early morning airport runs.

It’s a good thing people have different preferences as to when to drive. If they didn’t, we’d all be online at the same time. And rides would be far and few between (forget about surge).

MiamiKid

Why do so many ants avoid driving at night? Because people are different, and what works for one, is another’s nightmare.

Some drivers like to have sparkling conversation with pax. Others (me) prefer silence so they can concentrate on driving.

Some drivers want pax to sit in front to bond or for safety reasons. Others (me) aren’t looking for new friends, consider the front their space, and prefer pax sit in the back.

Some drivers don’t mind giving the aux cord or hooking up Bluetooth so pax can listen to their music. Others (me) find what a lot of people listen to today to be audio torture, and would prefer silence over what they call music.

Some drivers find driving around drunks to be fun and profitable, and are willing to put up with the occasional obnoxious/belligerent drunk or puker. Some find it difficult driving in the dark and prefer to work the rush hours. Others (me) can’t stand drunks, but love the traffic-free early morning. So they do early morning airport runs.

It’s a good thing people have different preferences as to when to drive. If they didn’t, we’d all be online at the same time. And rides would be far and few between (forget about surge).
There's a time, and place, for many of us with the Uber gig. Hope it stays that way.

I carry barf bags designed for my dog for passengers. Rear seat pocket and glovebox. ? ?

Don’t make me make you use them, you dogs. ?

These bags are incredible – I saved a $2000 car from becoming a revolting mess over 20 times by helping my dog avoid the seats ?. Of all the experiences in my life, maybe this is the one that prepared me the most for rideshare driving at night.
I remember a pax giving me shit about my puke bags. Basically calling me a peasant and if he puked in my car, it's my mess and mine only...told him to try me and see what happens. Somehow, he shut up and tossed me 10 dollars and said he never expected that response. I guess he was entertained...I was in a bad mood that night so perhaps I was ballsy that time.

Erin C Banning

I'm 6'5'', very easygoing, know how to diffuse, always friendly, never escalate or act haughty unless totally necessary. My experience has been very good. I do see how a bad experience could rattle you/put you off. But there is always surge in my bar areas at night too (and never during the day). I feel like I'm just well suited to it.
I almost exclusively drive nights, in my experience it's the most predictable and reliable $. Serious problems (though they do happen -- puking, aggressiveness, etc.) are rare, and with experience can be avoided or minimized :smiles:

5☆OG

I remember a pax giving me shit about my puke bags. Basically calling me a peasant and if he puked in my car, it's my mess and mine only...told him to try me and see what happens. Somehow, he shut up and tossed me 10 dollars and said he never expected that response. I guess he was entertained...I was in a bad mood that night so perhaps I was ballsy that time.
what a little prick
Post automatically merged:

I almost exclusively drive nights, in my experience it's the most predictable and reliable $. Serious problems (though they do happen -- puking, aggressiveness, etc.) are rare, and with experience can be avoided or minimized :smiles:
obviously you dont drive in vegas haha