Why do it?

yalluber

I've seen a lot of negativity, especially from veteran drivers. Not just here, but on other groups/pages I've joined. So what I wanna know is: If you hate driving for Uber/Lyft so much, why do you do it?

Daisey77

11pQizRLu1JP0c.gif

Exactly how long have you been driving? This is the classical naive newbie question . Honestly, if you're asking this question, there's no point in us answering it because instead of you actually considering what the veteran drivers are saying, you have that typical newbie brain set that you will be the exception. We can't fix that perception of yours.
You'll have to experience it yourself. You'll see . . .

yalluber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've been driving since December. I see and understand what the negativity and the bad attitude is all about, but I can't fathom why you still do it. I'm sorry, I'm just not the type to continuously complain about something yet still do it. I'm not drinking the koolaid. Y'all can be negative and vent all you want, but if I ever start following suit, you'd best be assured that I would quit first. Misery loves company I guess.

Daisey77

😅😅 check back in with us in 6 months. While I can appreciate you saying you understand the negativity and bad attitude, we know that it is completely impossible for you to fully understand. You're three months into this. you have no idea ... buckle up enjoy the ride.

What you need to understand is, this is our "break room" where we get to chat and vent with other drivers who fully understand the issues of ride sharing. These are our peeps. You wouldnt want your spouse coming home and complaining about their job all day when you don't even fully understand their job or issues that come with it. We don't get to interact with other drivers all that often. It's nice to have a place to come to where people understand the issues or concerns you experienced in this industry

flattenmycurve

If misery loves company is that why people get married? Always pondered

I do it cuz it's $50+ an hour from bed even after 4 paycuts they told me were raises, 30,000+ human trafficking attempts a few hundred they succeeded at, thousands of lies which is fraud when a "company" does it, the insult of assuming I can't maths & the "support" who speaks my language at a 3rd grade level & offers none.

If one doesn't complain about labor law, human rights, & constitutional violations well nothing ever changes but they seem to only change when a court forces them then they violate that order too.

I still shop at Walmart, Amazon, use Google, used to own a Ford, bank at Wells Fargo etc they all criminals too, this is amerikkka it's get in where you fit in and do as the Romans or end up steak on the table instead of eating the steak on the table

I've never been a part of organized crime either cuz of my ethnicity so it's kinda cool to be an earner for a racket unfortunately I'm not cool on human trafficking seniors, immigrants type of crime, but it's in the app store, feds nor labor department don't care so I'mma get mine

Tldr
Still profitable to me.

flattenmycurve

If the good die Young does that mean the bad die old maybe that's why kung flu effects them more? Oh wait everything effects old people more, science

OMG GO!

I've been driving since December. I see and understand what the negativity and the bad attitude is all about, but I can't fathom why you still do it. I'm sorry, I'm just not the type to continuously complain about something yet still do it. I'm not drinking the koolaid. Y'all can be negative and vent all you want, but if I ever start following suit, you'd best be assured that I would quit first. Misery loves company I guess.
You must be young. Sometimes people find themselves without other options. There are a myriad of variables. Just because one finds themselves stuck in job for the time being doesnt mean they dont need to vent or try to make that job better by bringing up the issues with companies they work for like uber and lyft. Theres no water cooler to gather around and vent with other drivers outside the pigpen at the airport. This is where people do that.

yalluber

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, I'm 52, and retired from 30 years of management in December. I took the opportunity to learn long ago not to let things get to me, and that when I get to a point of misery and negativity, I change what I'm doing. I do realize that most people can't/won't do that, but I have. Hence my plan to move to Colorado April 1st. I'm generally a happy person, although not annoyingly happy lol. I'm all for venting, I do it too, but I truly believe that when people come together and voice negativity (venting does not have to include being negative), then it just breeds more negativity. I'm not putting down on anyone here that does that, I just choose to see things differently, that's all. I think in times like this we need to be thankful that we have a way to make money, if we choose to still drive, because there are millions of people in this world right now who have just lost their jobs or they are getting furloughed or have gotten a tremendous cut in hours, etc. Even in these times, we can go out and make a few dollars. The demand for us is still there, albeit way slow, but it's still there.

OMG GO!

Actually, I'm 52, and retired from 30 years of management in December. I took the opportunity to learn long ago not to let things get to me, and that when I get to a point of misery and negativity, I change what I'm doing. I do realize that most people can't/won't do that, but I have. Hence my plan to move to Colorado April 1st. I'm generally a happy person, although not annoyingly happy lol. I'm all for venting, I do it too, but I truly believe that when people come together and voice negativity (venting does not have to include being negative), then it just breeds more negativity. I'm not putting down on anyone here that does that, I just choose to see things differently, that's all. I think in times like this we need to be thankful that we have a way to make money, if we choose to still drive, because there are millions of people in this world right now who have just lost their jobs or they are getting furloughed or have gotten a tremendous cut in hours, etc. Even in these times, we can go out and make a few dollars. The demand for us is still there, albeit way slow, but it's still there.
Give it some time. You arent the first newbie driver to sing this song, then over time, run into the problems we tend to run into, and then change your tune. Its great we have an opportunity sure, doesnt mean we deserve to be treated the way uber and lyft treat us, not to mention the pax. If you dont understand what i mean, keep driving, you will. Im not trying to discourage you or be mean, just being real.

Daisey77

there are millions of people in this world right now who have just lost their jobs or they are getting furloughed or have gotten a tremendous cut in hours, etc. Even in these times, we can go out and make a few dollars. The demand for us is still there
Yeah but those furloughed employees are getting more from unemployment than we're making working

flattenmycurve

a few dollars. The demand for us is still there, albeit way slow, but it's still there.
At 52 you shouldn't risk it lol & you're right about demand I've ignored least 15 x requests the last few hours, 10+ miles away its usually only like that during snow storms so most drivers staying in & cancelled 5 not going anywhere but to work, 1 waffle House, 2 Walmarts, 2 ignored my text & calls

Yesterday cancelled a guy going to dispensary, liquor store & of course 4am on the dot a $5 McDonald's eats delivery to a motel 6 lol & shortly after a $6 ihop does McDonald's even open that early? I don't need a McChicken that bad

No thanks a few dollars is what my poor single mama gave me in 1985 to deliver trash to the dumpster 500 feet away & what paperboys the same year were begging for in better off dead what an ironic title lol better off dead then delivering 100-500 pounds in 2000- pound vehicles 1-10 miles for $3-4 gross like it's 1971 not 2020

On billions of receipts yet FBI & labor department no where to be found, apparently you can agree to work for free & be human trafficked long as it's at the end of an app not the barrel of a gun who knew?

I didn't work for free or illegal wages prior to the Kung flu pandemic not going to strat

You can have all of em

img_2dollars.jpg

Last edited:

RioRoja

I've been driving since December.
I think in times like this we need to be thankful that we have a way to make money, if we choose to still drive, because there are millions of people in this world right now who have just lost their jobs or they are getting furloughed or have gotten a tremendous cut in hours, etc.
Be grateful that you signed up to drive in December. On Friday Lyft publicly announced that they are wait-listing new driver applicants, and Uber will likely follow suit.

1584888236114.png

Also, you may want to temper your expectation that because you are an active Uber driver in your current state that you will be approved to drive in CO. Last Wednesday I posted this tweet on the 3,500 member Uber/Lyft/Nightcrawlers group. I received a variety responses - it can be a rough group - but most were supportive.

1584888622469.png

1584888919704.png 1584889535169.png 1584888943870.png

Last edited:

AtSki

Sounds like a -working from home- Uber employee who is trying to motivate the Ants to go out to anting around for a few bucks in these virus quarantine days.

There are other “new” forum members doing the same in other City/Region forums on UPNet forums.

Prepare for more forum “newbies” with similar posts nowadays. They will come and go as they have plenty of time in their hands by working from home. Lol

Last edited:

MichaelMax

Well I have given rise to a lot of young people who told me they thought they had the greatest job in the world when they transferred to Denver but then they said they didn't realize they had to give half of it to the landlord. The only place more expensive than Denver are on the Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific Ocean Our taxes are as high as CA or any where. You will be staggered when they tell you how much your licences tags cost. Every thing here is close except essential items like groceries, gas and of course marijuana, which you may need.
Plus we don't have all that humidity and bugs nor Mardi Gras and you will have to buy a lots of ChapStick and hand cream. Welcome to CO but why would you do it?

$247 a week, for nothing, I''ll have it

Last edited: