Why do I need a degree

gondal

Other day picked 2 college girls, told me their last uber driver was a science teacher. Helped them to understand a physics concept. Man I'm trying to save money so to get into college. Just wondering what's the point if I still need to drive for uber after degree !

The Gift of Fish

Other day picked 2 college girls, told me their last uber driver was a science teacher. Helped them to understand a physics concept. Man I'm trying to save money so to get into college. Just wondering what's the point if I still need to drive for uber after degree !
:rolleyes: You should study Cause and Effect 101. Here's a quick class:

Incorrect:
Cause: study for degree, Effect: get a low paying job.

Correct:
Cause: study for degree, Effect: get a degree
Cause: use degree to get a high paying job, Effect: Have lots of money, no need to drive Uber
-or-
Cause: use degree to get a low paying job (teaching), Effect: Have little money, drive Uber

nm339242

Teaching, in this area at least, starts off low paying but if you stick with it, you can make a pretty good income. Not 1% type rich, but low six figures depending on the district. I have multiple teachers in my family and have seen the pay scales in their handbooks with my own eyes so I'm not making it up. You have to have a lot of experience and post grad degrees in the right district to get six figures, but it's not low paying. So there are a few options with this uber driver teacher
- he may be just starting his career and not making much
- he may just find it fun to uber although I doubt that one
- he may be going through a divorce or marriage or some other expensive life event or saving for a vacation and need extra money
- he may just be terrible with his finances and need more
- he may be a teacher in the inner city. All those numbers I saw were nice suburban schools.
- he may hate his wife and need to get away from her
- he may be a serial killer looking for victims

I'm looking to start working as an actuary. The upper limit of actuary earnings are in the 1%. I won't be poor. But when I start, I'll be on the lower end of that scale (which is still good money and still more than the lower end of the teacher scale) and I have debts I want to put a hole into. So I'll still be uberring on some weekends and evenings.

anteetr

You don't need a degree. Learn how to lay pipe or run wire. You'll be better off. I'm serious.

If I could do it all over again, there is no way I would go to college again and I went to an exceptional one and got a very good deal. Get an apprenticeship with the plumbers, pipefitters, or electricians. You may have to go to trade school first but you probably won't and if you do they're a LOT less money and time than college. In an apprenticeship they pay you to learn on the job instead of you giving up 4 years of income while spending over 100 grand you don't have to get a degree that probably won't make you anymore money anyway.

Bonus points: They can't do these jobs remotely from India, export them to China, import your replacements from Mexico, or automate them anytime soon.

nm339242

Go to college if you have a job you want to do that requires it. Don't go because you think you need to and then get a useless degree. That was what I did the first time which is why I'm uberring now. The second time I had a clear direction and as soon as I get the entry level spot I'll be set.

anteetr

Go to college if you have a job you want to do that requires it. Don't go because you think you need to and then get a useless degree. That was what I did the first time which is why I'm uberring now. The second time I had a clear direction and as soon as I get the entry level spot I'll be set.

To do what I want to do in the industry I want to be in, I would be required to go to more school and borrow more money. I refuse. I drive uber while getting into something similar in a different industry that requires no more school. I'll still drive uber on the side because I do like it in small doses and the times I would do it still pay well. If either changes I'll stop.

nm339242

To do what I want to do in the industry I want to be in, I would be required to go to more school and borrow more money. I refuse. I drive uber while getting into something similar in a different industry that requires no more school. I'll still drive uber on the side because I do like it in small doses and the times I would do it still pay well. If either changes I'll stop.

You clearly have another option. I was simply presenting an option where you should definitely not go to school (mostly because it's a very common mistake)

anteetr

You clearly have another option. I was simply presenting an option where you should definitely not go to school (mostly because it's a very common mistake)

Indeed. It's way too common of a mistake. Most of today's college students should not be in school and by the time they figure that out it's too late. Thanks to the shrub you can't even discharge the loans in bankruptcy anymore so you're beat for life.

UberGeo

Incorrect:

Correct:
Cause: use degree to get a high paying job, Effect: Have lots of money, no need to drive Uber
-or-
Cause: use degree to get a low paying job (teaching), Effect: Have little money, drive Uber
Get degree... Get high paying job, get divorce, spend your money, draft budget, drive Uber.

Or don't get degree... Have all doors closed except labour types, get low paying job, drive Uber and Lyft.

Or just be lucky and get the right pay, job, etc.

Your Destiny is in your hands.

PrestonT

Incorrect:

Correct:
-or-

This post....it is brilliant and on the mark.

Get degree... Get high paying job, get divorce, spend your money, draft budget, drive Uber.

Thank the lawd every day to be free of that mistake and realize the driving Uber to make ends meet is a small price for freedom...

Ardery

gondal, you need a degree to be a good Uber driver.
:wink:

plocp

Most professional poker player drop out All those ivy school for playing poker full time a make millions, bill gate drop out of Harvard and it's the richest guy in the world, and I see a lot pax with degree, yes they got a ok job, pay enough for rent and food, and occasionally a ok vacation, and that's it, nothing major, no where close to financial freedom and have high roller life, if that's what you want, get a degree and get a job
And a lot of pax that with degree and got a regular job probably has less cash in the pocket than you and me