• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Why Do Customers Not Tip

Uber_Yota_916

People treat Uber and Lyft like a carry out only Chinese restaurant. Ok, you can put the tip jar there, but there's no real culture for tipping with Uber or Lyft like there is with a taxi or sit down restaurant. Most of the rhetoric Uber especially has put out with tipping is that the pax either don't need to tip or the tip was included in the app. This was before they added in app tipping, so no surprise people don't give a shit about tipping you.

Main 3 ways you will get more tips without being more personable is...

1. Put out a tip jar or sign for tipping. More sappy or catchy the better. Don't put your tip jar within reach of back passengers

2. Get one of those Octopus tablet apps that lets people play random games and is integrated into your tips and ratings

3. Get into the taxi business so people will feel more compelled to tip you and be afraid of your mean taxi mug if they dont
Do not listen to this nonsense. Especially for the two first points. A begging box will not help. It will eventually get stolen by some pos hood pax.

Do not spend money for tablets and other toys for the pax. Waste of money.

You will be better off creating a music track that has subliminal messages advocating for tips.

Lissetti

Honey Badger
Article Manager
Cute chicks always do well on tips. At my cab company, most of the cashiers were "somewhat less than desirable". There was one time, though, when they hired a "hubba hubba" cashier who used to wear "uplifting" brassieres and low cut neck lines. She did VERY well on tips. There was only one person who ever did better than did she: that was me, on the occasions that I worked the cashier booth. The reason for this was that I was also a dispatcher. Bottom line:
Well I'm going to have to say my heavy amount of tips I get when I drive has most to do with my strategically placed college textbook in their eyesight, rather than my clothing. I don't dress in Hoochie mama clothing regardless but especially won't do it being that me, a female driver is letting strange men get into and out of my car all night..

I do wear some form fitting clothing, its true, I'm not going to walk about in baggy clothing ...but I'm fully covered.

charmer37

Uber has created a community of cheap people. After 4 yrs of driving for Uber, I said enough is enough. Back with my local cab company now. Making 3 times as much than with Uber and nearly every pax tips. Good luck uber drivers. It's not gonna get any better for you.
Uber created the no tipping required atmosphere and the majority of pax are cheep skates, I was a cab driver back in the 90”s and made damn good money, I do deliveries and haven’t driven for Uber since 2016.

zeroperminute

poor
not raised properly
cheap

1,2, or all of the 3

im tipped 40% of the time usually above 10$ on 40mile xl only trips and 90% of the time they probably could of got an x, in a 3k 10+ year old beater i vacuum 4 times a year and maybe spray down a dollars worth once a month, i do speak english as a first language & wear $500 shoes dont know if the shoes help but i know the English does as most amerikkkans have hidden or not prejudices bit im also a minority so theres that

no cash tip not going 10+ miles auto 1 star & avoid lower than 4.8s

Last edited:

welikecamping

Nothing like a good contradictory message:
Another way to say thanks
Whether a driver made you laugh, charged your phone, or delivered 20 late-night pizzas, you may feel like thanking them beyond a 5-star rating. Tipping is another way to thank drivers for going the extra mile and providing a great experience.
Why it's helpful

Show your appreciation
Tipping is an easy way to recognize drivers for their excellent work, and it's always optional.

Enjoy the ease of tipping
Don’t have time to tip in real time? No problem—you can tip drivers when it’s convenient for you. The option is also available from your receipt or from your trip history.

Thank drivers on your terms
Whether it’s a verbal “Thank you,” a 5-star rating, or a $5 tip, there are many ways to express your gratitude. Pick what works for you.
///

I just googled "Uber do I need to tip my driver"

Jennkc

Don't unlock your doors unless they tip. It's called the "No tip, no go" strategy.
Well damn I didn't know that 🤣
Post automatically merged:

Why is providing snacks and cold water bad? It has got me 10 dollar tips a couple times. I go to the dollar tree and spend about 30 bucks to fill it up. It's hot in Kansas city and I feel like they appreciate the cold water. I wonder if it makes some people think I'm bribing them for a tip?

Attachments

Last edited:

itendstonight

For me its my college programming textbook placed noticeably on my dash and the confirmation that yes I'm a starving student. This has led to not just tips but business cards from recruiters when I graduate. Now as an intern at FB, I still keep my textbook visible when I do drive, since I'm still not done with schooling and my internship is not permanent.
Damn! Hmmm might buy a cheap textbook and put it on the dash to see how pax respond ... you’re devious!

Lissetti

Honey Badger
Article Manager
Damn! Hmmm might buy a cheap textbook and put it on the dash to see how pax respond ... you’re devious!
Well if you're going to do this, know your subject. Also be prepared for pax to also ask what school you go, what classes you are taking, what level, what are the required courses....Because I get asked all of these questions by my pax.

You know a friend of mine tried this. He bought a used textbook and just randomly picked an Accounting one, which he put on his dash. He later told me how bad it backfired. Several pax he picked up throughout the day happened to work in accounting and immediately started conversations with him about the field...except my friend is terrible at math ( so bad that he didn't know accounting involved math. )

O-Side Uber

There are way too many variables at play to figure out the "why or why not" when it comes to tipping.

A lot of people use Uber because they can't afford a car and don't want to ride the stinky bus.
They simply don't have the money to tip.
Then you have to think about people who are a little better off..but Uber every day and maybe can't justify spending $90+ a month on tips alone ($3 a day X 30 days) and tip drivers every now and then.

You also have to think of things from the perspective of the PAX. Your in the service ind getting out then they did getting in.
We’re not in Europe - our federal minimum wage is $18.93 per hour, no matter how unskilled the labour. Most riders actually aren’t aware of how much Uber takes of the fare (and probably don’t want to know). The media has been starting to make a bit of a song and dance about how much UberEats takes from restaurants (35%!) and how they have literally driven restaurants under but nothing about drivers thus far.
$18.93? Where do you live ? Minimum wage is like $12 in California
Post automatically merged:

They HAVE the money to tip. I’m tired of hearing that. I’m either taking these cheap PAX to their job or out to eat somewhere...either way they have money . The only passengers that may not have money are these medical transpo calls ...these types of pax are likely on disability and a fixed income.

Stop telling yourselves it’s ok that these people don’t tip... downrate them into the ground . It’s the only way. Once all drivers start doing that.. these pax will get sick of having their ratings reset, and will reluctantly give an extra $1 or $2. If they pulled this crap 💩 on the daily inna restaurant, they would be pulling pubic hairs out of their scrambled eggs 🍳

Last edited:

Kyanar

Stop telling yourselves it’s ok that these people don’t tip... downrate them into the ground . It’s the only way. Once all drivers start doing that.. these pax will get sick of having their ratings reset, and will reluctantly give an extra $1 or $2. If they pulled this crap 💩 on the daily inna restaurant, they would be pulling pubic hairs out of their scrambled eggs 🍳
I dunno. I may be in the minority here, but I don’t think the right approach is to be pushing to expect mandatory tips to make up for the rate. That way, it just gives Uber et al license to cut the rate as much and as often as they want because the tips are expected to make up for it. The real push should instead be to have that extra $2 just charged as part of the fare in the form of a fairer rate.