Why Aren't Vancouver Drivers driving More EVs?

VanGuy

I loved the part about $700 in rebates. Time to talk to the land lady about installing one.

I had a Kia Soul EV. Loved it. Saved so much money. But that was when I had a little convenience store and my life revolved around it, a full time job and my daughter. All short trips around town all the time.

Now that the store is gone, my lifestyle changed and I want to do road trips and camping. Can't plug into a tree, and can't carry enough camping gear for our comfort levels in a small car. This summer my daughter and I did a 4500KM road trip and an extra long weekend camping trip. Neither would have been possible with the Soul. It only had a 150KM range in town and less on the highway, plus no level 3 input, only level 2.

So I upgraded to a hybrid minivan. I can still plug in and my last tank of gas got 105mpg. Even with several road trips on it now, most around 1000KM plus the big one, and driving Skip the dishes occasionally, the current lifetime avg is 49mpg at a total of 18000KM because I barely use any gas commuting to work every day. I can get all the way in and some days all the way home just on electricity.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now that the store is gone, my lifestyle changed and I want to do road trips and camping. Can't plug into a tree.
I have an adapter for NEMA14-50 campground RV plug adapter - can plug either of my cars into that. So if you are car-camping, it's never been easier to charge your vehicle. Also, if it rains really bad or there is a cold snap. You can just set sleeping back in the folded down seats, and let the cars heater run all night. Dry & Warm in case of emergencies, without killing the other campers with exhaust fumes.

VanGuy

I have an adapter for NEMA14-50 campground RV plug adapter - can plug either of my cars into that. So if you are car-camping, it's never been easier to charge your vehicle. Also, if it rains really bad or there is a cold snap. You can just set sleeping back in the folded down seats, and let the cars heater run all night. Dry & Warm in case of emergencies, without killing the other campers with exhaust fumes.
If I was still married that would be the way to go. I took my daughter to a cabin in the woods with no power or running water, just a wood stove and some beds. It was a beautifully totally disconnected 4 day weekend.

VanGuy

The wonderful fiasco that is me getting a charger. Basically it's been miscommunication with the electrician but as a result I wouldn't use him for anything again.

I got a quote for running a line, I knew it didn't include the charger, but we talked about the charger and how much it cost. I thought that he would bring a charger during the install and I would pay for the quoted service and the charger. I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment for him to do the work, and he didn't bring a charger, just ran the line.

No problem. I went to Amazon and saw a few options, but there were different plugs so I asked, are you installing the Nema 14-50 which seems to be the most common? His answer, "Yes, I'm installing the most common." I should have pushed for a definitive answer because I ordered the charger, and sure enough, wrong plug.

He installed a Nema 6-50, a common option for far more expensive chargers. The charger I ordered was under $400CAN. The ones that use the Nema 6-50 plug start at $600 from what I saw. Bastard. Anyways I ordered an adapter last night and I should have it tomorrow for another $55 and should be good to go tomorrow night.

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Always do your research before engaging any contractor. It will help immensely in avoiding any miscommunication

VanGuy

Yeah I did google some and they had good reviews but I think they outsourced to a subcontractor who didn't seem to know much about it. He knew his household wiring but admitted he had to ask the guy at the counter which was the most common plug for EV charging.