1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why are rideshare drivers not organizing?

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by REX HAVOC, Jul 29, 2016.

1. ahsokas_revenge

ahsokas_revenge New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Everyone seems to have a story about how terrible it was working in a closed shop. Some of those stories may well be true, but that doesn't prove that unions are an altogether bad thing. There are different unions, some better or worse than others, and recent history shows rank-and-file members can take control of their union to run it as they see fit, with real results (see: Chicago Teachers Union).

In any case, even having bad union representation is better on the whole than not having a union at all. Numbers don't lie, and according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, median earnings for union members are $200 more per week than non-union workers. Drivers who complain about low fares but resist organizing are just shooting themselves in the foot, while making it harder for the rest of us to improve our working conditions.

ErkanAk, phillipzx3 and crazy916 like this.
  2. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well-Known Member

Spot On!!

crazy916 likes this.
  3. truecrimson

truecrimson New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    The very concept of a union is evil. It posits an adversarial relationship between "labor" and "capital" straight from Marx. This sets up a conflict that doesn't exist and allows government and their crony, the unions to get another point of leverage over people which they can use to extract more money to use to buy votes and reward cronies. In fact there is no adversarial relationship between labor and capital. There is a mutually beneficial relationship. If you don't like Uber's terms don't drive for them. There are other options, including creating your own Ridesharing company.

For the record, I don't complain about low fares. And I don't want to be forced into any medieval guild where I yet again get raped for little or no benefit and am forced to participate at gun point whether I want to participate or not. If Uber has issues the last thing it needs is another set of self righteous idiots interposing themselves between me and it and taking another cut.

Also understand that nothing is free. Unions dues and higher wages have to come from somewhere. That is ultimately going to be the consumer. If you make the prices too high they will go elsewhere.

Uber and it's competitors are a great example of the free market, where capital will try to provide goods and services to consumers at a price they are willing to pay and both consumers and labor will go where the best value is.

Please don't screw it up.

Blackout 702 and ColdRider like this.
  4. Driving and Driven

Driving and Driven Well-Known Member

They have an app, but it's for android only?

5. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Of course there is an adversarial relationship unless you are lucky enough to have a business owner who actually is willing to share the profits with his workers. Gee, that's not the American capitalist way, though, is it?

What rock have you been living under?

ahsokas_revenge likes this.

6. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

Lol the CTU.

Those hags must have it all figured out considering CPS' horrific graduation rates and the incompetent bunch still has the nerve to demand more money?

In the private sector you don't get rewarded for failure, you lose your job.

NorCalPhil and Blackout 702 like this.
  7. circle1

circle1 Well-Known Member

. . . and Seattle . . .

8. Jollyrodger

Jollyrodger Active Member

Lethargy.

9. circle1

. . . so all these posts in this thread supports the idea that employee-owned businesses are the way to go!

10. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

Owners do share their profits with employees, it's called their ****ing pay....

samuraikitty and Blackout 702 like this.
  11. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

"Why are rideshare drivers not organizing?" I can only speak for myself. I'm not "organizing" because I'm not disorganized. I don't work for Uber. I use software that they developed and I essentially pay them for the usage. If I don't want to use their software, I am free to stop at any time. If someone comes along with a program that I lke better, I'll use that one instead.

If you choose to use a particular ride share software and you feel taken advantage of... then stop.

If I create something and charge people to have it or to use it, and then they demand that I charge them less than what I am asking, I'd tell them to go pound sand. If they keep using it anyway while complaining about it, I'd laugh in their faces. If they sued me over it, I'd use every resourse I have to break them.

Quit whining. You sound like a donkey.

samuraikitty, circle1 and NorCalPhil like this.
  12. circle1

o_O

HAHAHA!! The main difference is; the employee-owned business has the chance to run more efficiently because the people who are actually doing the work can set policy (directly/semi-directly) and customer service/product quality can be at least maintained, if not boosted. Also we wouldn't have to put up with the owners' Monarchical attitude and power to fire people on the slightest of whims!

Do business owner's have those rights? Yer G.D. right they do!! So, employee-owned is the way to go!

ErkanAk likes this.
  13. SonDriven

SonDriven New Member

We need to make the reality of UBER public. We need to utilize social media. Take screen shots of weekly pay Statements, and expenses and post them.

14. circle1

. . . actually, we need to alert the public what a huge driving distraction and safety concern Pool rides are, and how it screws everybody and wastes their time1

15. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Employees get paid regardless of whether or not the employer has a profit or not, and the amount of pay is not tied to the amount of profits (if any).

In the case of Uber, the company hasn't reported any profits, yet people are still getting paid.

There isn't a connection here.

16. Sickofhumams

Sickofhumams Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    We need a safer place to have these conversations. There are great apps for messaging forums like Slack. Lets get one started and get some stuff done. There are enough fed up screwed over drivers.

17. truecrimson

truecrimson New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Bull****. Capital advances a loan to labor for it's services. That's why (in traditional business) you get paid at the end of the week, or every 2 weeks, instead of waiting for the clients to actually pay. A traditional company invoice's it's clients once a month or once a quarter. They advance you your wages so you don't have to wait for that. Profits are the interest on the advance capital gives to labor. Profits are not exploitative.

America is not a capitalist nation. It's mercantilist. Government forces businesses to get in bed with it under threat of regulatory violence and then doles out monopolies and regulatory benefits to those who play along most and fastest.

The best example of this was the Microsoft issue. Prior to the (in)justice compartment going after them Microsoft had no lobbyists. None. Zero. Once government started going after them they figured out they had to join the system or be forced out of business and by the time congressional hearing started they had more lobbyists than any other company in the world. Then all of a sudden the whole thing dropped out of the news and nothing happened.

The way to solve this is not to blame business, but to blame government and get them out of the picture so, as someone else mentioned, we can all start our own illegal cab business without having to go through Uber, or with being able to dictate our own terms. If our terms do not meet the consumers needs at the best price point then we will have to adjust or go out of business. But the solution is definitely not for a bunch of idiots to vote on what on I should get and what I should have to do. We have way too much of that already.

As a mostly forgotten anti war preacher in revolution era New York observed I see no point in trading one tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants one mile away.

If I have been living under a rock at least I have read some stuff not dolled out the ignorant masses by the pubic ejukashun system.

What are you afraid of?

18. Blackout 702

Blackout 702 Well-Known Member

By definition a loan is an amount that has to be repaid. If I perform labor for you, and you pay me before you have collected from a client, you have not made a loan to me because I have already performed the labor and I have nothing to repay you. If anything my work was a loan which you repaid on payday. No wages have been "advanced." Profits are anything you can get a cleint to pay that is above your operating expenses, and have nothing to do with any nonexistent "advance" that has been made to the worker.

19. ErkanAk

ErkanAk Active Member

Check your pm. Regards

20. ErkanAk

ErkanAk Active Member

App is Not working. Seems they are located in Australia.