1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Why are rideshare drivers not organizing?

Discussion in 'Advocacy' started by REX HAVOC, Jul 29, 2016.

1. REX HAVOC

REX HAVOC Active Member

I know there have been other posts on this topic but I thought I'd bring it up again. It seems as though the settlement didn't go far enough to improve the lives of drivers as a whole. Sure, there were some minor concessions but all in all it seems very little has changed. On the other hand Uber won a major concession by not having to classify drivers as W2 employees.

Uber still has too much control over how much we earn and they can still remove drivers off the platform anytime they wish. Why are we not organizing a union or at least electing reps from each major city to work as representatives? If we organized we could put together a nationwide strike and submit a list of fair demands to Uber to increase pay and living standards for the drivers. A few good nationwide boycotts on busy days and Uber would be forced to the table to renegotiate what they charge and pay their drivers.

ErkanAk, lancengym and Smithbomb77 like this.
  2. Ryan Price

Ryan Price Active Member

In SF and CA as a whole, drivers are organizing with the Teamsters. Reach out to them.

Jerrie C and Smithbomb77 like this.
  3. Flarpy

Flarpy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Labor organizing is an extraordinarily thankless, time-consuming task. It took decade after decade in the 20th century to get anywhere and saw the destruction of countless lives via lawsuits, "strike breakers," murders, riots, incarceration, etc.

It's hard enough to organize a labor force when some of the people are your friends and everyone works more or less in the same field or building or wherever. Trying to organize a zillion strangers who don't know or care about each other would be next to impossible.

Don't believe me? Give it a shot.

4. REX HAVOC

REX HAVOC Active Member

By the time they finally organize the self driving cars will be making their appearance.

5. Ringo

Ringo Active Member

I think a lot of drivers are ignorant to the fact they can organize, and are fearful for their jobs, and just hope the company doesn't take away from them anymore. Quite a few come from countries with no labor laws and employers can abuse and discriminate and uber almost seems like a blessing.

ErkanAk likes this.

6. OlDirtySapper

OlDirtySapper Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    We should really do something. They will just keep abusing us more and more until they get the robocars out. They have no interest in drivers its why they want part timers that wont fuss much about the low pay. This company makes a million a day in just "safe rider fees" yet they still need to tax us 25% while encouraging riders to not tip. I am sure if we tried to organize tho we would just be deactivated and tied up in court until after they get their robots. Really the best option is just to make your own business cards and steal the business from them straight up. The entire transpo industry as we know it only has 20 years left tops, make hay while the sun is out.

ErkanAk likes this.
  7. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Then you would be driving Uber pax around for $.95 a mile with no insurance. Is that $.22 a mile really worth it?

Blahgard and I_Like_Spam like this.
  8. I_Like_Spam

I_Like_Spam Well-Known Member

Good point, the Uber Experience and the legions of ride share drivers out there in 2016 have really driven the price down. I heard complaining from taxi drivers, but jitneys- the unlicensed variety have probably suffered too and been forced to lower their rates

9. SurgeWarrior

SurgeWarrior Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Heard the drivers in PA have contacted the Teamsters...essentially waiting for California to pave the way. Seems like a great idea, let Cali get the ball rolling and it will spread like wildfire.

Jerrie C likes this.
  10. NorCalPhil

NorCalPhil Well-Known Member

Unions. Worst idea ever. Grew up in a union family. Worked union jobs through college. Corrupt top to bottom.

11. ColdRider

ColdRider Well-Known Member

Lol unions.

Give me ten percent of your gross fare and I'll get you a nickel more per mile.

12. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well-Known Member

ErkanAk likes this.
  13. OlDirtySapper

OlDirtySapper Active Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    You would only have no insurance if you are a complete idiot. You know what never mind the less the rest of you know the more business i get. EDIT: btw I charge 2 bucks a mile and the people I steal from uber happily pay it for the ability to have time calls and not have to ever worry about a surge.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    circle1 likes this.
  14. ErkanAk

ErkanAk Active Member

How can I reach them? Please advise me.

15. ErkanAk

ErkanAk Active Member

I checked the website, there is no information who they are, how people will trust?

16. Uberx zoom

Uberx zoom Well-Known Member

The website is run by active drivers. They prefer to remain anonymous for obvious reasons.

circle1 likes this.
  17. Tony73

Tony73 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You spend so much time "organizing" you forget you got to drive to earn.

18. ErkanAk

ErkanAk Active Member

That is the good point, but organizing is also worth.

19. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Active Member

I was a teamster for 21 years, they take your money and sell you out.

20. truecrimson

truecrimson New Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I like the independent contracter thing. Most of my healthcare career has been as a contractor.

The biggest problem with unions is that shops are all or none. If you could be union and me not I wouldn't care. But when union members figure out how badly they are being screwed you won't have union members anymore. So they need a government enforced monopoly.

Every union hospital I ever worked at had low pay and terrible working conditions. No one wanted to work there so they brought in travelers for 3 times what the staff was making plus hotels and expenses.

Blackout 702 likes this.