Why are "Long Trips" All Non-Surge?

jerseycrooner

How come all the "Long Trips" (greater than 45 minutes) I've received are non-surge? Anyone else notice this?

Cane

They've been surge for me but I'm not getting them. I've taken 3 trips from North/Central Jersey to Philly in the last 2-3 weeks and I've had Uber making just as much as I have in each trip even though I've taken the longest justifiable route. Smh.

pvtandrewmalone

I got a Hopewell to New York City base rate XL point without the long trip tag.

Only seen one long trip tag at the shore so far. I turned it down because:

1. It was an X call and I was in an XL, getting less than 20 MPG.

2. It was early in Saturday night (6pm) not during a Boost hour, at shore base rate. The Boost started later that night.

3. Didn't want the dead miles or time commuting back to the shore. My SUV will need some maintenance soon so I'm trying to keep the mileage down.

Under the circumstances I think I made the right decision. I hope I made the next guy's night.

JPell

I got a Hopewell to New York City base rate XL point without the long trip tag.

Only seen one long trip tag at the shore so far. I turned it down because:

1. It was an X call and I was in an XL, getting less than 20 MPG.

2. It was early in Saturday night (6pm) not during a Boost hour, at shore base rate. The Boost started later that night.

3. Didn't want the dead miles or time commuting back to the shore. My SUV will need some maintenance soon so I'm trying to keep the mileage down.

Under the circumstances I think I made the right decision. I hope I made the next guy's night.
Literally you are an uber God. Every trip has a story and a Shore rate that you take the long route from seaside to Asbury. How a Hopewell trip to NYC got mixed in there is apparently someone else's good luck. I turned down a 139 mile trip to Tannersville PA today. Who gives a crap. 280 miles round trip from west of the parkway. No thanks.

Wyza

i got a glen rock to long island on a good surge, didn't get the "long trip" sign

Last edited:

JPell

Said the man who wants to turn the Shore in to .93 land.
Nah now I make up for the lack of rides *by driving the long way between Asbury and seaside* thanks to your endless posts on the subject. I *drove the long way from seaside to Asbury* just yesterday. We stopped at the Paramus mall first and went shopping. The pax didn't care because it didn't cost them any extra money, and Uber lost $150 on the ride. Next time I get a ride from Princeton to Trenton, I plan on *driving the long way* and doing a little sight seeing in Philly. The default Nav from Seaside to Asbury is via the parkway. You'd have to be an idiot at .13 a minute to take 35. It would take forever. You might as well brag about eating breakfast.

Last edited:

eleshin

Nah now I make up for the lack of rides *by driving the long way between Asbury and seaside* thanks to your endless posts on the subject. I *drove the long way from seaside to Asbury* just yesterday. We stopped at the Paramus mall first and went shopping. The pax didn't care because it didn't cost them any extra money, and Uber lost $150 on the ride. Next time I get a ride from Princeton to Trenton, I plan on *driving the long way* and doing a little sight seeing in Philly. The default Nav from Seaside to Asbury is via the parkway. You'd have to be an idiot at .13 a minute to take 35. It would take forever. You might as well brag about eating breakfast.

How long til we hear you got deactivated and you come here @@@@@ing and wondering why

pvtandrewmalone

The beauty of being an independent contractor is getting to choose the route. Uber does not get to choose. The passenger does not get to choose. You do.

If you are okay with Uber taking 50% or more of what the passenger pays as a "service fee"...more power to you...use Uber Nav on every ride.

Even before the upfront ripoff, and before gas shot up almost $1/gal, 96% of people doing this gig were losing money without realizing it and didn't last a year. I consider myself part of the 4%. Strangely enough my ratings have gone up since I have started this strategy.

Last edited:

jetfanatic122

As everyone knows, Uber has been deactivating drivers at an alarming pace as of late because so many new drivers are signing up. If you're comfortable giving uber an easy sure fire way of deactivating you, by all means keep operating as you do. I would love to make more money with rides but not while gaming the system

JPell

The beauty of being an independent contractor is getting to choose the route. Uber does not get to choose. The passenger does not get to choose. You do.

If you are okay with Uber taking 50% or more of what the passenger pays as a "service fee"...more power to you...use Uber Nav on every ride.

Even before the upfront ripoff, and before gas shot up almost $1/gal, 96% of people doing this gig were losing money without realizing it and didn't last a year. I consider myself part of the 4%. Strangely enough my ratings have gone up since I have started this strategy.
I'm DYING to hear your long way routes from points in Hopewell and Princeton. I lived there. Enlighten me how you get riders in a rush to not care about adding 20 minutes since your bottom line is their main concern.

JPell

Don't feed the trolls.

If you want to know that, I think I've covered it in previous posts.
Nope, you only covered DTS Seaside to Asbury via the parkway on the weekends in the summer. What are your long trip tips in your area of Hopewell, Princeton, Trenton and Cherry Hill/Philly?