Who is ready for uber eats protest? I will set a date when to gather in front of 300 Adelaide st w.

Noobler

You cannot make a living out of Uber long term. Weather it is eats, x, xl, Select or wathever you want. Instead of protesting, people should really work on getting real skills and finding a real full time job. Uber is excellent as a part time add on but those who rely on it to make a living are playing with fire and will burn themselves.
You can and should be able to make a living out of it fulltime. Cabbie work has been considered a bread and butter blue collar fulltime avenue for decades upon decades. Just cause someone made it possible to hail a cab through an app doesnt change that. People needing to go from point A to point B is a basic need that the market tries to meet, and wont change as long as there are human beings on this earth. A large part of that need will be filled with full-time workers.

another basic need is the need to eat. humans do it at 3 main points in a day: breakfast lunch and dinner. For 2 of those meals, they may still be at work or not have enough time to prepare the food themselves, or whatever. Well the market has found a way to fulfill this basic need. This need will always exist. It can and will always be depended on to earn money from.

No one is playing with fire, both of these industries will always exist.

Fuzzyelvis

There is a rumor asking the drivers to deliver the food cold to customers so that they will stop ordering from Uber Eats. That is not ethical. Please do not do that. If you want compensation you ask for it.

There are some who have mentioned that if you do not like it, leave it. This is not about liking or leaving, this is about exploitation. Even in restaurants and offices they can pay lesser than minimum wages, with the offer, accept it or leave it. Then why does the government make laws guaranteeing minimum wages? In Australia delivery guys have to be paid minimum wages, some companies in Australia pay $14 an hour plus $4 for every delivery(see dailymail article below).

I disagree about tips. Let everyone pay the delivery charge. It takes almost forty minutes to do a delivery. The minimum wage is not $12, it is $12 plus WSIB. We do not get WSIB. So the minimum wage is atleast $13. Which rounded off brings each delivery cost to $9. Let everyone pay $9 as delivery charge subject to the quantity of food that is being carried. If they want to order more food, then they have to pay catering charges.

There is no need to tip. It cannot be a delivery fee, plus tip. Let me give you an example. If the delivery fee is $6 plus tip. I go to Tom's house, he gives me $6 as tip. I go to Peter's house. He does not give any tip. So the average tip is $3 which added to the delivery fee makes up for the delivery cost of $9. That is not acceptable because, when Tom gave me the tip, what did he want me to do with it, does he want me to keep it or use it to pay for Peter's delivery charge? Tom wants me to keep it. So that money is mine, now I am paying from my pocket for Peter's delivery charge? Why should it be like that. Then let the delivery company tell their customer Tom, that the money he gives as tip will be used to pay for Peter's delivery fee. In which case Tom will say no. Tell Peter to pay for his lunch. I am also telling the same thing, let Peter pay for his delivery fee which is $9. There cannot be an argument that $9 delivery charge is very high, everyone cannot afford. If the cost of the dinner is $24, because some people cannot afford it, is the store willing to reduce it to $12? or is the supplier to the store willing to reduce his costs. None of them want to reduce their costs, they look for who is the weakest in the line and exploit them during this recession that we are in. The minimum delivery charge should be $9 or $10 and everyone should pay it. or else tell them to go to dollar store and eat there.

There was an article written about this in the daily mail. How delivery services are using sham contracts and not paying minimum wages in Australia.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rs-Deliveroo-Foodora-paid-little-10-hour.html

In Australia delivery drivers have to be paid minimum wages.

At Deliveroo riders are earning as little as $10 an hour, while at competitor Foodora people doing the same job are paid $14. Both of these come in under the minimum wage in Australia.
So you're talking about uber and ethics in the same sentence, and you don't think tipping is ok because the tipper is subsidizing the non tipper? Like every market where tipping exists?

Andyer

Why is the f*** is everyone discouraging protesting. All of you know Uber massively exploits drivers. There should be protesting at their office 24/7. The negative media attention does make a difference if it is large and organized enough.
Stockholm syndrome? Probably.
I don't understand why people are so easy, maybe a little bit happy when someone tell them their pay will be cut by 50%. Does anyone understand?

Uberchampion

Why is the f*** is everyone discouraging protesting. All of you know Uber massively exploits drivers. There should be protesting at their office 24/7. The negative media attention does make a difference if it is large and organized enough.
Taxi industry is why no one should protest.....until we have a spokesperson in place.

No one wants to hear an Uber driver yell out "Uber is ISIS"....

Just showing up wont make a difference. Put some thought into it....

Actionjax

Protest with denial of service. That's the only way to make someone wake up. Move to a competitor service (and there is a ton of them in Toronto) And let Uber spin looking for labor. This is how you deal with a company not providing good service. You stop being a customer. I stopped using Uber Eats a long time ago because of poor delivery service and high prices. I encourage everyone to just move. Even if they change things back to where they were you will already be established with a company that takes your feelings seriously. Not just someone looking at a spreadsheet.

biozon

Why is the f*** is everyone discouraging protesting.
Because it will result in nothing (best case scenario). And worst case - it will make things worse.

I mean, look at all of those taxi protests. None of them resulted in anything good for taxis. In fact, quite the opposite - it brought up more hate towards taxi industry from customers. And look where taxis are now.

So, it's pointless to protest in the classic form: by blocking the office, etc.

As ActionJax says - best way to protest is to withdraw from service. If 100 people do it - no one will notice. But if we are talking about 4-5 thousand drivers at a time - that'll hit Uber HARD.

Think about it.

Hannibalb

Because it will result in nothing (best case scenario). And worst case - it will make things worse.

I mean, look at all of those taxi protests. None of them resulted in anything good for taxis. In fact, quite the opposite - it brought up more hate towards taxi industry from customers. And look where taxis are now.

So, it's pointless to protest in the classic form: by blocking the office, etc.

As ActionJax says - best way to protest is to withdraw from service. If 100 people do it - no one will notice. But if we are talking about 4-5 thousand drivers at a time - that'll hit Uber HARD.

Think about it.
Of course there's nothing wrong with just logging off Uber. There is also nothing wrong with protesting, going to the media, going to government and vocally expressing your opinion. This mentality of just moving on is music to the ears of corporate predators and their proxies...let them pillage freely and ruin the working conditions in this industry, just move on to something else. You think that works for the 55 year old cabbie or the uber driver who bought a vehicle expecting to earn good money after being sold on it by some driver working for their $300 referral? But of course its all the little guys fault, Uber is just doing what businesses do? BS.
Organizing, protest and actively working to reveal real working conditions to those who can make a difference can be remarkably effective if done right. The reason the taxi protests achieved nothing is they didn't present a very coherent or compelling message. They just kept saying its illegal and not much else. They ended up looking like guys protecting their monopoly and preventing competition. Things are different now. Uber drivers need to emphasize the very low earnings, safety issues, hollowing out of transit with unsustainably cheap fares, fraudulent representation of earnings potential, misclasification as independent contractors considering the control they exert, etc. Lots of real issues that will get the attention of public, media and government. And BTW how exactly can things get worse for Uber drivers anyway? lol

biozon

BTW how exactly can things get worse for Uber drivers anyway? lol
Simple. Since they are neither employees, nor they can form (or theoretically legally form, for that matter) a union, Uber can just deactivate the ones that protest and be done with it.

MUGATS

Honestly.... if drivers wanted to send a message, they would be to ignore eats requests for an couple of hours on a Friday/Saturday. 6-8pm.

Disrupting the service would get their attention.

Have partner restaurants and users be disrupted by lack of service. That would do more than holding up a cardboard sign. However it is harder to execute.

Actionjax

Honestly.... if drivers wanted to send a message, they would be to ignore eats requests for an couple of hours on a Friday/Saturday. 6-8pm.

Disrupting the service would get their attention.

Have partner restaurants and users be disrupted by lack of service. That would do more than holding up a cardboard sign. However it is harder to execute.
100% agree...if you disrupt the restaurants ability top deliver quality food because of driver delays you will get them to disconnect from the service. That's a huge blow to Uber.

Look at it like an App eco system....if they are just not there the platform is useless to consumers and it will die out. (Look at BlackBerry and Nokia and Windows).

Think of the Restaurants like app developers for a platform. When they jump ship you now have Uber worried.

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Campark

When ubereats pays more than uber x u couldnt have expected that to last. it was a way to lure drivers over tothe platform. uber x requires a newer car and yada yada. if there arent enough uber eats drivers u will see promos from uber. typical of uber.

Andy3131

W
You can and should be able to make a living out of it fulltime. Cabbie work has been considered a bread and butter blue collar fulltime avenue for decades upon decades. Just cause someone made it possible to hail a cab through an app doesnt change that. People needing to go from point A to point B is a basic need that the market tries to meet, and wont change as long as there are human beings on this earth. A large part of that need will be filled with full-time workers.

another basic need is the need to eat. humans do it at 3 main points in a day: breakfast lunch and dinner. For 2 of those meals, they may still be at work or not have enough time to prepare the food themselves, or whatever. Well the market has found a way to fulfill this basic need. This need will always exist. It can and will always be depended on to earn money from.

No one is playing with fire, both of these industries will always exist.
It remains an industry with no entry barriers which means almost 0 qualifications are required. In economy classes, they commonly call these "minimum wage jobs" because the offer will always surpass the demand which means that more people are availible to do the job than the amount of people needed to do it so when you employ these people, you won't have any issues reducing their wage. For skilled jobs, it is quite different: There are less people who have the appropriate skills than the people needed for the job. This creates jobs with great benefits and great salaries because employers compete against each other for the few employees availible and need to enchance their offering in order to attract them to their company.

saul_goodman

Hello everyone, it took me many days to find this website. It is there many UberEats drivers who are not coordinated about upcoming protests or events. I think we need to be more active on these pages, bring as much drivers as possible to conversation and use some keywords. By these keywords we'll come up very quick to the top in search. I find this page using keywords "Uber eats Toronto protest" - this page appeared on second page.

Last edited:

Homer J

Hello everyone, it took me many days to find this website. It is there many UberEats drivers who are not coordinated about upcoming protests or events. I think we need to be more active on these pages, bring as much drivers as possible to conversation and use some keywords. By these keywords we'll come up very quick to the top in search. I find this page using keywords "Uber eats Toronto protest" - this page appeared on second page.
I found this site by searching Google and typing in "uber forum". It was on the first page.

saul_goodman

Reply to Homer J. Absolutely, but friend of mine told me "it will be protest on weekend ". I was looking everywhere (accordingly to my internet usage level) and I didn't find it. But today with the same keywords I find it. Because it was on second page already... my point is we need somehow to let interesting people know that they will take part in it. And not learning about protest as post fact as I did (((

saul_goodman

Btw I tried a day ago certain destination option on my way home. I got paid 8,26$ for 4,8 km real distance! Uber even not multiple those trips by boost ratio, because it is not regular trip!!! They hurt me and I'm considering to leave... When uber fate was under fire at city hall i was fighting like lion. I brought my 79 years old parents with me and my wife to city chamber... and now I feel bad... I took part in Frankenstein monster creation... to change rates overnight? Are you normal?

Andy3131

Btw I tried a day ago certain destination option on my way home. I got paid 8,26$ for 4,8 km real distance! Uber even not multiple those trips by boost ratio, because it is not regular trip!!! They hurt me and I'm considering to leave... When uber fate was under fire at city hall i was fighting like lion. I brought my 79 years old parents with me and my wife to city chamber... and now I feel bad... I took part in Frankenstein monster creation... to change rates overnight? Are you normal?
I make at least $200 a weekend in 2 nights just on the destination feature. You need to learn when to use it and how to use. This will come with experience.