Who is dumb? Me or the GPS?

ED Wallace

Picked up a passenger at the Aurora Go station @ Wellington and 404. The pax was heading just west on Wellington for a few kms (I didn't know that when I started the ride). As you can see the GPS instructed me to jump on the hwy instead of looping around the parking lot to head west on Wellington. I offcourse apologize to the pax after I realized - I got paid just under $15.5. The pax said his cost was fixed so no big deal. Do you guys have problems with Uber's map instruction?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-05-10-35-05-1.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-05-10-35-05-1.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 120

MrAbduz

If it's upfront pricing, you can explore the whole world and the rider will only give what he was showed by the app. At least that's what I think

Lolinator

Picked up a passenger at the Aurora Go station @ Wellington and 404. The pax was heading just west on Wellington for a few kms (I didn't know that when I started the ride). As you can see the GPS instructed me to jump on the hwy instead of looping around the parking lot to head west on Wellington. I offcourse apologize to the pax after I realized - I got paid just under $15.5. The pax said his cost was fixed so no big deal. Do you guys have problems with Uber's map instruction?
i need your gps lols

ED Wallace

Thanks. But I am waiting for my 1⭐ now. Driving instructions are almost always wrong when you are starting the ride. I t corrects itself after about 50m of driving though

Lolinator

Thanks. But I am waiting for my 1⭐ now. Driving instructions are almost always wrong when you are starting the ride. I t corrects itself after about 50m of driving though
happens to all of us

gps needs movement to detect location

gps is accurate within 3 meters from my experience

deagl344

Actually this is a correct way to take.
I was there once im 90% sure that you cant turn left out of that parking spot so your only option is go east or jump on 404.

uberpoolfool

You should have to the pax "Take the cab it is cheaper!"

Hameed

If it's upfront pricing, you can explore the whole world and the rider will only give what he was showed by the app. At least that's what I think
When uber started upfront fare. We used to get what they pay and most of the time it was more than actual km driven. Sometimes you could be unlucky too. I also got paid 15 for 3km. But then uber realized why we paying more to these slaves, we can still f... them sideways and they can't do jack shit. So now if your actual km and time is less than estimate they pay you actual fare (and put the rest of money in their pocket) and if due to some reasons you take more time then uber pay you the estimated fare they quoted to the rider. Don't even bother to send email if you feel you got $6 for say 9km and 30 min ride. Their response will be frikin same copy paste

Livan

It's always a good idea to check the route before. Google Maps has a 2D option that you can check to see what the GPS planned. Maps tends to favor right turns and it may add a few kilometers to the route even if you are meters away from the destination so you end up on the right side of the street. Also,it won't tell you to turn back even if you are going in the opposite direction.

Retox

Not only should you use Waze, you should always at least take 1 quick glance at how the route looks on the map before taking it.

Edit: If the trip is long (30 minutes or over), the route waze picked at the beginning of the trip might not be optimal anymore mid trip. To counter this, double check with Waze by clicking in the bottom center > routes and have Waze re-calculate route once again. It will show you a quicker route since the road conditions have changed. Cheers.

Last edited:

ED Wallace

Looks like Uber got their $$ back today - I picked up a pax @ Bayview/Sheppard dropped off @ Bathurst/Front - almost 1hr of driving = $20 - and this includes a 1.2x surge.

Screenshot_2017-09-06-11-59-55-1.png
Screenshot_2017-09-06-12-00-10-1.png

shadow4478

Use waze .....
can someone tell me what happens if you cut the ride 25% faster and cx was quoted upfront do they get away cheaper or do we just make less based on km and time ?

i_k

Use waze .....
can someone tell me what happens if you cut the ride 25% faster and cx was quoted upfront do they get away cheaper or do we just make less based on km and time ?
For distance if the ride is 800 metres shorter or longer then it reverts to time/distance. As for time, I've had instances where rides took a lot longer than expected where the trip also reverted to time/distance, but not sure what the time factors are for breaking upfront. There have been posts about a 40% rule but I can't confirm if it's true or not.