Who feels being a good conversationalist is key?

tjlmbklr

So here's the thing, I feel I am good at meeting new people but I can suffer from mental block sometimes if the right moment never comes up and I will find myself sitting in silence the whole drive other then a friendly greeting when they get in and a friendly goodbye when they get out. But there are times where I feel it was beyond great conversation and I wish we had more time to talk. I can honestly say all my tips I received were on rides where we had good conversation and I can't recall ever (not saying I pay attention to every fair) getting a tip when the ride was silence the whole way.

With that said, how do you strike up a universal conversation? Sometimes I read the room and get a vibe they may not want to talk. I guess it all depends on the time of day, where they are going to or heading from and what mood they are in. Plus some people are just introverts and really prefer not to talk. No harm in that and I don't want to force it or make them uncomfortable.

Thoughts?

Big Lou

You have passengers that want to gab away the entire ride. Then you have those who are obviously out of that moment and just want to be left alone with their thoughts. Those you leave alone.
The rides that gave me pause were the families on a moderately long ride who would not interact with each other and stay silent the entire ride. I always thought that was just plain weird.
I enjoyed families that talked to each other and joked all the way to their destination.

Lots of people just want to talk about things.....just things, and I liked that too.

wallae

So here's the thing, I feel I am good at meeting new people but I can suffer from mental block sometimes if the right moment never comes up and I will find myself sitting in silence the whole drive other then a friendly greeting when they get in and a friendly goodbye when they get out. But there are times where I feel it was beyond great conversation and I wish we had more time to talk. I can honestly say all my tips I received were on rides where we had good conversation and I can't recall ever (not saying I pay attention to every fair) getting a tip when the ride was silence the whole way.

With that said, how do you strike up a universal conversation? Sometimes I read the room and get a vibe they may not want to talk. I guess it all depends on the time of day, where they are going to or heading from and what mood they are in. Plus some people are just introverts and really prefer not to talk. No harm in that and I don't want to force it or make them uncomfortable.

Thoughts
Make them at ease
Funny story
Self depreciating humor

Soldiering

It doesn't hurt too be extroverted as an RS driver. I've given over 15k rides. I average over 1k a week and I would say I attribute at least 15% of what I make directly coralates how I conversate with my pax. Extroverts are better off as OPs than introverts IMHO

SOLA-RAH

I can tell within the first five seconds whether there's going to be conversation or not. You cannot force it.
Yep, this is the zen of uber driving. If pax says nothing, I say nothing and we’ll have a perfectly fine silent ride. No “how’s it going?” or “how’s your day?”. Hi Pax, good afternoon, confirm address, go, drop, “enjoy the rest of your day”. 90% of my rides are like this. I think I give off an “at-work” vibe instead of a chummy one when greeting pax as they get in. And if pax talks, I’ll talk back.

Being a good conversationalist is being knowledgeable a bit about everything, and knowing A LOT of helpful things about the city you drive in. It’s also gently explaining a “quicker” or “better” (but longer) route, asking them where they want to be dropped off on a street with a lot of doors instead of trying to glance at house number or GPS, or making observations and comments about odd things you see happening on city streets often. When you match their mood without even having to ask, you set a good tone and let pax know it’ll be a smooth ride. And this is much easier and relaxed driving as opposed to being “entertaining” all the time.

Mcwharthog

I never try to start a conversation. A lot of riders find that annoying or creepy. That being said, about half of my rides have had good conversation started by the rider.

I listen to sports talk radio and that sometimes gets the rider talking. Young woman tend to be talkers, which is cool, especially if they are hot.

You are definitely more likely to get a tip if there is conversation but you can’t force it.

Seamus

Best way is to make the ride all about YOU. Start by telling them all your problems and keep forcing it even if they don’t want to talk. An added bonus would be if you can make yourself cry on demand! Those tears of sadness and depression can lead to some serious tips!

So it goes smoothly OP, keep a list of your top three biggest problems so you’re ready to go the moment you pull away from the curb. Try this out and let us know how it went. Should be tips galore!

tmart

Someone who wants to talk , and I'm a good listener , these have been most of my 10 to $20 tips on Airport runs

UbaBrah

I just say "hi, how are you?" then maybe like a minute into the ride "so how's your night going?". It's low key but lets me know if they want to chat or not. About 8 out of 10 times they talk more following that.

It's not just about pax, my comfort level is important too having strangers in my car, and if it's stone cold silent I feel a bit awkward.

I am from England though so they generally do fawn over my accent and ask where I'm from which is pretty nice, but does mean I've told the same story as to my background about 1000 times. But that's always better than zero rapport and silence.

I'm a pretty good conversationalist too and easy to get along with which does help. Being drunk for most of my twenties has come in handy as far as connecting with tipsy pax.

Deceptive

For me personally, I'd rather not talk and just enjoy the music. I'll get us to your destination in a safe and timely manner. With that said I will try engage in simple conversation with a (depending on time of day) "hows your day/night going?" Or "getting off/going in to work?". If I get a short answer with no follow up, I know, that person does not want to talk and I leave em alone.

Those that do want to talk, will. I have noticed that (I'm in boston) if a person is going to tip they will regardless if we talk or not. I've had many trips where were joking and sharing laughs, getting into personal sh** with no tip. So I always resort to the passenger starting conversation now other than the greeting and leaving

SHalester

key to? On longer rides it is kinda essential, or it's awkward/weird. Only exception is if pax jumps in and goes straight to their phone and that is that. big hint.....

touberornottouber

Thoughts?

4.95 rating here in a corolla. Fat middle aged guy. Conversation is key but so is learning to go with things and doing it naturally. Most customers don't want to have in-depth conversations. The key with these is to just make sure the little interaction you have with them is pleasant.

Me: "Hello, Tom, right?" (I drive during the day so usually don't need to verify things but sometimes will verify the destination instead)
Them: "Yes."
Me: "How are you doing today?"
Them: "Pretty good. How are you?"
Me: "Oh not too bad all things considered with all the crazy stuff going on in the world.... It's a nice day out at least."

<This then either opens it up for a conversation about covid-19, elections, etc. OR alternatively they say nothing or are very brief then I leave them alone.>

I also find it works better to be conversational in the beginning and end of the ride, not during the middle (where you end up talking the whole ride non-stop). In the middle of the ride it is best to lean towards being quiet and let the passenger push the conversation, if any. By being pleasant at the end and beginning of the ride you still seem friendly but without becoming overbearing and too chatty. OTOH, if you do not talk at all (in the beginning or end) the rider thinks you are rude or do not like them, etc.

Last edited:
In my market, I'm going to say at least 80% of the people that get in the back of my car....after the initial "hey, how's it going?" from me, and an acknowledgement of "great...or fine or okay" from them....put their faces right into their phones and remain silent for the entire trip. Sometimes they're actually on the phone with someone, sometimes they're playing a video game or watching something on YouTube, and there's usually lots of texting going on
....whatever it is...I immediately get the hint, and I remain silent until spoken to. I agree that the best tips I've gotten have been a result of spirited conversations with the passenger....but ultimately....it is up to them.

I also agree that it's weird when there is silence in the back when there are multiple passengers. I seem to get this a lot with couples...boyfriend girlfriend, or married. At first, i thought it was my driving....you know, they were nervous....maybe afraid...but I've decided that this is not the case. People are just plain weird.

ConkeyCrack

I only speak when spoken to. Most of these pax are too pretentious to talk to you anyway. When i did UberX, after the initial default greeting of "hey, hows it going" i would be as quiet as a church mouse unless the would spark conversation with me, then I was as chatty as a school girl. I would always get reviews that would say "awkward quiet ride" but then I also get reviews that would say "nice and quiet and fast" so I dont know lol. I guess me being quiet was a good thing since I had a solid 4.88 rating
Post automatically merged:

It doesn't hurt too be extroverted as an RS driver. I've given over 15k rides. I average over 1k a week and I would say I attribute at least 15% of what I make directly coralates how I conversate with my pax. Extroverts are better off as OPs than introverts IMHO
As an introvert. I have to agree with you. There will be times when the pax was too chatty and I would find myself mentally drained talking with them waiting for them to STFU already or hope they would get a call and talk that person's ear off

Last edited:

UberNLV

all your problems
Once as a passenger I had a driver tell me he drives Uber because ,his words, “the driver of this car died”
my initial thought was the person who owned the car before him was someone he knew and died. It wasn’t until the next day did I realize he was probably referring to himself.
when he said that the conversation died as well.