Who drives RS in a Kilt?

Asificarewhatyoudontthink

It's strange that I've seen more Americans wearing kilts; I'm guessing on the way to and from the Scottish Rites Centres, than I ever have actual Scottish men in Scotland wear them (zero). 🤔
Either you ignored it, or never went out for any of the traditional days. As an American I have seen Scots in Scotland (yes on TV but they were still In Scotland) doing strange things like throwing telephone poles...

So I am guessing you were a tourist?

The Gift of Fish

Either you ignored it, or never went out for any of the traditional days. As an American I have seen Scots in Scotland (yes on TV but they were still In Scotland) doing strange things like throwing telephone poles...

So I am guessing you were a tourist?
No, you don't know what I have or haven't seen while in Scotland. As I said, I have never seen a Scottish man wear a kilt in Scotland. That is not to say that nobody wears a kilt in Scotland, ever. Again, I have seen Californians wear them, though, which I find amusing.

It's a curious thing in the USA - because there is no cultural identity here per se, you often find groups of Americans trying to cling to the ethnic groups that their antecedents belonged to. It's strange, these people will say, "I'm Irish", or "I'm Scottish", when they are born-in-the-USA hot dogs and pickup trucks American. I haven't seen this phenomenon anywhere else.

Last edited:

ariel5466

No cultural identity would be a better way to put it. There is American culture - strip malls and Walmarts, mass consumption and showboating, hot dogs 'n' ball games, pickup trucks etc etc.
On a serious note, I get what you're saying. But I think we do have a cultural identity in a way. It's like a blend of all other cultures. There's also strong regional cultures, especially on the east coast. Northeast and southeast American culture is very distinct.

The Gift of Fish

On a serious note, I get what you're saying. But I think we do have a cultural identity in a way. It's like a blend of all other cultures. There's also strong regional cultures, especially on the east coast. Northeast and southeast American culture is very distinct.
I think it's because this country is still so relatively new. I don't see much cultural cohesion here - this is an extremely divided nation - politically, racially, socially, even ecologically. People love opposing and arguing. They'll even argue incessantly about the stupidest things, claiming that the Earth is flat, and organising societies and campaigns to that end, for example.

Anyway, if there was a strong cultural identity then I think people wouldn't try to hard to assume other people's. As I said, this doesn't happen elsewhere. I have French ancestry but I'd never describe myself as French.