White UBER car top light illegal?

MissMarie

Hello!

I am new to driving for Uber in the state of Maine. I recently ordered a white Uber light for the top of my car(like a taxi light) and I was told by a taxi driver this evening that this light is illegal. I was unable to verify this as Maine state law says white auxiliary lights are legal. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks!

unPat

Hello!

I am new to driving for Uber in the state of Maine. I recently ordered a white Uber light for the top of my car(like a taxi light) and I was told by a taxi driver this evening that this light is illegal. I was unable to verify this as Maine state law says white auxiliary lights are legal. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks!
Is this taxi driver part time attorney ?

MissMarie

Is this taxi driver part time attorney ?

Not that I believe...but it was enough of a scare to make me want to find out one way or another. I'd rather find out the truth than risk a $250 fine...

With that said, do you know if it's legal or not..?

MissMarie

It's magnetic...no harm or permanent changes have been made to my car...

I happen to live in an area where there are only four Uber drivers. I wanted to get the word out that the service is available on our island.

Does anyone have a straight answer about this?

unPat

Taxs hate uber. Email lyft/Uber and ask if trade dress is required. If it's mandatory use one inside the windshield, if not why seek unnecessary attention.

Last edited:

Ardery

I happen to live in an area where there are only four Uber drivers. I wanted to get the word out that the service is available on our island.

but why? your "taxi like" sign suggests that you offer walk in car service. why do it at all in the first place? it's stupid.

OneRideOneVomit

Bar Harbor?

Just messaged a Bangor police officer I'm friends with. Said it's not illegal and he doubts any officer would pull you over for it either way.

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
You guys are harsh. I think it's good to advertize and she should do it if she wants to, as long as it's legal. I used to put 8x8 magnetic Uber signs on my doors and I'm pretty sure I witnessed people saying "look! Uber!" like they didn't know it was available in my city. I haven't been using them recently though due to concerns over scuffing up my finish.

MissMarie

I'm sure you can find the answer on line at Maine.gov/transportation/taxi, livery. TNC. It's always best to research all rules and regulations yourself rather than ask a bunch of law ignorant drivers.

Thank you! I did, and there is nothing stating that this is illegal.

Bar Harbor?

Just messaged a Bangor police officer I'm friends with. Said it's not illegal and he doubts any officer would pull you over for it either way.

Yes! Thank you so much! ❤️

but why? your "taxi like" sign suggests that you offer walk in car service. why do it at all in the first place? it's stupid.

No....it lets people know that Uber is a thing here when it hasn't been in the past. Half of my fares have told me that they jumped online because of the sign. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't agree that it's stupid.

Spotscat

I was wondering...

People that drive delivery for Domino's, or Papa John's, or Pizza Hut, or Jimmy John's, or any number of other restaurants that offer delivery service, do not pay for the signs that attach to their vehicle - the restaurant supplies them as a cost of doing business.

Why then, would anyone want to shell out their hard-earned money for a sign that advertises Uber or Lyft?

Cableguynoe

I don't believe it's illegal to put anything on your car
Dude doesn't want competition.

Keep doing it.
Put ads in Craigslist letting them know UBER is available.
You can also put your rider code letting them know they'll get a discount on their first ride.

If there's a place where people put flyers up for things like lost pets and rooms for rent, put up a flyer with your rider code.

That'll show that smelly taxi driver!