White guy in the hood

Brichards

Hello I'm a white uber driver. This post is for other white drivers. I live in summit and a few times a week I get those rides to the hood. I usually avoid them if I can, like seeing pool rides from short hills mall. I want to know are there white drivers that work the hood if they get a ride there. I've done a few rides in a row time to time,but usually feel uncomfortable for many reasons.

bobby747

day sometimes..sometimes good prices...ratings for me dont tank much in hood...not at night..maybe temple and east west phila below 48th... and no north philly's late ...I follow the money

Mr Met

Not understanding why only whites are being asked for advice on a much discussed topic on this forum. The hood is the same for everyone, which is not usually good especially at night.

Also depends on if the hood to you is a place with alot of minorities or a place with high crime. Newark for example is a place with high crime outside of the financial district and alot of minorities while New Brunswick is also a place with relatively high crime compared to the average city but it's small and also very diverse and a big college town.

You pick your poison with any city or large town, trial and error will let you know where and where not to work. In bad neighborhoods your more likely to experience conflict when your ignorant to the demographics

RogueErik

Not understanding why only whites are being asked for advice on a much discussed topic on this forum. The hood is the same for everyone, which is not usually good especially at night.
I’ve been told by 70yr old black pax (man) in north philly to stop taking rides to and from there because it’s to dangerous for me because of my skin color... in a genuinely concerned manner... was that racist of him?

sash69

I do it if I'm desperate or trying to meet a quest bonus. It's not really worth it since your upside is capped and the downside is unlimited lol.

TheNJBen

But Uber and the government are opposed to underserved poor areas. Of course they don’t drive there I mean there’s a reason they are underserved

Mr Met

I’ve been told by 70yr old black pax (man) in north philly to stop taking rides to and from there because it’s to dangerous for me because of my skin color... in a genuinely concerned manner... was that racist of him?
I said nothing about being racist, nor did I imply that. Some ppl are just ignorant to other cultures. Crime rates in bad neighborhoods are usually black on black or white on white crime. If your in the wrong place at the wrong time, skin color does not matter.

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

Hello I'm a white uber driver. This post is for other white drivers. I live in summit and a few times a week I get those rides to the hood. I usually avoid them if I can, like seeing pool rides from short hills mall. I want to know are there white drivers that work the hood if they get a ride there. I've done a few rides in a row time to time,but usually feel uncomfortable for many reasons.

It is impossible to avoid hood rides as there are simply too many locations that are close to high demand Uber and Lyft areas. If you choose to pick up passengers in Montclair then at least fifty percent of them will be going into Newark and Irvington and Orange NJ. But, you can reduce the number of hood rides by not doing pool rides and especially pool rides from the respective malls which almost all have a hood destination.

Bluntly, no driver is safe in the hood but white drivers are more at risk of being robbed, held up or being treated badly by passengers in the hood. Also, all hood locations have bad traffic, pothole filled streets and take three times longer to navigate around. Also, the vast majority of false claims against drivers come from GQs who live in the hood. There is little incentive to drive there and especially to pick up fares there.

In the words of Jay Z "Im not a businessman, I'm a BUSINESS....Man!" You need to think like a business, and protect yourself and your car as the two assets of your business. You owe nothing to anyone who puts you or your car at risk. Stay put of the hood and let people there take the bus or get their politicians to create their own taxi service.

Mikeuber22

Yes I only work the hood East Orange, Newark for Consecutive Trip Boost, I much prefer brothers and sisters over rich, liberal annoying whites. Met a lot of great people, never had a problem and I've worked late night in the so called worst areas

NJKing

Parts of hoods during the day time is okay by me. Definitely better than paxholes in Hudson area.

reg barclay

Yes I only work the hood East Orange, Newark for Consecutive Trip Boost, I much prefer brothers and sisters over rich, liberal annoying whites.
To be clear, while this thread is bordering on a race discussion, we are currently discussing cultural demographics which might be seen somewhat as subgroups of certain races, but not as the race on a whole. Which is why it's being allowed to continue. In that sense, I think 'rich annoying liberal whites' is similar to 'ghetto, hood etc', in that neither is representative of any race or ethnicity on a whole.

I will say that in my experience both rich (predominantly) white areas and ghetto areas seem to produce a larger amount of entitled pax than some other demographics. And I tend to avoid both areas, given the choice. (That's not to say that everyone in those areas is entitled, just a higher chance of it IMHO). However the main distinction for me, is that while the rich areas may have a substantial rate of entitled pax, there is almost zero risk of getting robbed etc in those areas, and the pax are very unlikely to fabricate false accusations of intoxication etc, to get a fare refund. In contrast both of these risks seem more common in ghetto areas.

To be clear, while this thread is bordering on a race discussion, we are currently discussing cultural demographics which might be seen somewhat as subgroups of certain races, but not as the race on a whole. Which is why it's being allowed to continue. In that sense, I think 'rich annoying liberal whites' is similar to 'ghetto, hood etc', in that neither is representative of any race or ethnicity on a whole.

I will say that in my experience both rich (predominantly) white areas and ghetto areas seem to produce a larger amount of entitled pax than some other demographics. And I tend to avoid both areas, given the choice. (That's not to say that everyone in those areas is entitled, just a higher chance of it IMHO). However the main distinction for me, is that while the rich areas may have a substantial rate of entitled pax, there is almost zero risk of getting robbed etc in those areas, and the pax are very unlikely to fabricate false accusations of intoxication etc, to get a fare refund. In contrast both of these risks seem more common in ghetto areas.
What thread are you reading. Thread is about race, not a bad thread, but you can’t PC SJW speak it into something different. Whole premise is white dude drive to hood. By white dude did he mean entitled wealthy Princeton boy or was he talking skin color?

reg barclay

What thread are you reading. Thread is about race, not a bad thread, but you can’t PC SJW speak it into something different. Whole premise is white dude drive to hood. By white dude did he mean entitled wealthy Princeton boy or was he talking skin color?
Agreed, the premise of the thread includes the OP's race, but that's just a factual element of the question, and not an observation about his race being better or worse than any other. That's the only thing I see about skin color though. The rest is about different types of neighborhood, which are not representative of any race as a whole.

Granted though, the topic is a sensitive one that isn't completely PC, but I think it skirts by within the site rules. That's not to say everyone would agree. This part of my post will self destruct.

LüberInLyft

Agreed, the premise of the thread includes the OP's race, but that's just a factual element of the question, and not an observation about his race being better or worse than any other. That's the only thing I see about skin color though. The rest is about different types of neighborhood, which are not representative of any race as a whole.

Granted though, the topic is a sensitive one that isn't completely PC, but I think it skirts by within the site rules. That's not to say everyone would agree. This part of my post will self destruct.
I understand PC but what do you mean by site rules? Freedom of speech is freedom of speech. So this site is not based in the U.S. and 1st amendment doesn't apply to this site. How about allowing a racist black man to have a profile pic of a white guy? Thats ok right?

Going off what you said earlier....who would be safer? A white guy walking around Irvington at 3 am or a black guy walking around suburbia at 3 am? It is what it is and its not racist to address the elephant thats been in the room for decades now.