1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Which service people do you tip, and why?

Discussion in 'Advice' started by reg barclay, Jul 25, 2018.

1. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    There are certain service workers that it is more customary to tip than others. I guess this can differ from place to place. Which ones do you tip, and why?

Also, is there any rhyme and reason, as to which kind of workers it is customary to tip?

I suppose it's pretty traditional to tip cab drivers, and I guess that's why some of us feel we should be tipped (as a logical extension to that).

Anyway, I guess the point of this thread is to discuss tipping in general, why we tip some professions and not others, and how this is relevant to us.

Mista T and Lwill21 like this.
  2. 404NofFound

404NofFound Well-Known Member

I tip waitresses, waiters, pizza delivery, shoe shine, cab and rideshare, barber, bell hop.

I don't tip plummer, home upgrades like floor installation, appliance installation, auto mechanic, oil change, stewardess, food cashier.

I haven't given it much thought, but I will think about it. I figure a plummer makes $30 per hour. I figure a stewardess makes $20 per hour with 401k vacation, medical and dental coverage and sick days. Maybe the oil change guy should get a tip.

3. Bob Reynolds

Bob Reynolds Well-Known Member

cab drivers, pizza delivery drivers, servers in restaurants and bars, valet attendants, skycaps to name a few that come to the top of mind.

Termie and reg barclay like this.
  4. reg barclay

Driving:
    UberX
    You should also toss a few bucks for Chief O'Brien, when he fixes the power transfer conduits.

5. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

People i tip regularly:

Servers at restaurants/bartenders
    Lady that cuts my hair
    My dog groomer
    My uber drivers
    Pizza delivery guy
    Car valet kid

MoreTips likes this.
  6. 404NofFound

404NofFound Well-Known Member

I gave him 20 quatloos once for transporting me during an ion storm.

Termie and reg barclay like this.
  7. reg barclay

Driving:
    UberX
    I once got a 3x surge ride to the Gamma Quadrant, during an ion storm. I also got paid the wormhole surcharge.

8. Cableguynoe

I never consider how much I think they make. It's about if their doing something for me that feels a little more personal.

Not long ago went to a very expensive restaurant for our anniversary.
    With drinks bill was about $250 just for the 2 of us.
    I don't think there was a table there paying under $200. I did the math that if my waitress had just 4 tables she was taking care of per hour, she was making over $100 per hour just on tips.
    That didn't stop me from giving her the proper tip for taking care of us.

A plumber working on my toilet is doing a job. A toilet is just a toilet. My server or lady cutting my hair is doing something for me personally.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    2Cents, KenLV, kdyrpr and 1 other person like this.
  9. reg barclay

Driving:
    UberX
    According to your personal criteria, wouldn't Uber drivers and Pizza deliverers be more similar to a plumber then?

IthurstwhenIP and Cableguynoe like this.
  10. Cableguynoe

Sort of. I can see why you would say that.

My wife used to work at a pizza place when she was younger and she said the drivers knew which customers tipped well and would fight for the delivery among each other. She said those would get their pizza faster.
    I've actually felt this is true with a kid that's been regular for us for a while. They say an hour on the phone and in 30 minutes I have my pizza.
    Also, going to the UberfunitisUberfunitis logic, I wouldn't want to not tip the guy handling my food.

Uber drivers I feel it's also a more personal experience.
    I'm in their car. We talk. Sometimes I give more specific instructions than just what's in the app.

A plumber I tell him where the work is to be done and I leave him alone while he does his work.

MoreTips likes this.
  11. jazzapt

jazzapt Well-Known Member

This opinion will probably not be popular here, but I am a cheap bastard and I hate tipping. I feel like if someone is getting compensated fairly for the service provided, there is no need to tip (unless I feel like I have received service above and beyond what was expected)

I actually go out of my way to avoid utilizing services where tips are expected. For example I never valet my car, I carry my own bags to my hotel room, I cut my own hair (actually I shave it), I wash my own car, and I pick up my own pizzas whenever possible.

And I don’t carry cash on me. The only time I have cash is when I get cash tips from Pax. I haven’t carried cash on me since 1998, and I don’t plan on starting just for the sake of tipping.

That said I do tip when I must utilize a service where tipping is expected, like waiters/waitresses, Uber/Lyft drivers, bartenders, and pizza delivery. And I tip generously when I do. But it is usually only if I can tip electronically because again, I don’t carry cash (therefore I don’t tip at food places like Starbucks or Dunkins as they don’t provide options to tip electronically). The only time I make sure to have cash to tip is for chamber maids.

12. Cableguynoe

Rarely does a tip have to be in cash, except for maybe Valet guys, car wash guys and Uber drivers 1 year ago.
    Just about everywhere else you can tip on your credit card.

MoreTips likes this.
  13. jazzapt

jazzapt Well-Known Member

And the aforementioned Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, and a number of other quick service food places where you may find a tip box at the register for but no option on the receipt.

14. Cableguynoe

Maybe.
    Those are some I wouldn’t tip anyway.

15. Terri Lee

Terri Lee Well-Known Member

Waitstaff, Uber drivers (the 3 times I've been a pax), AAA guys, housekeeping at motels, people who cut my hair.

I pay a monthly fee at a full service car wash, and though some customers tip there I do NOT because I'd go broke since I need the ride share car cleaned often.

LyftNewbie10 likes this.
  16. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Two types of people I tip:

1. People that I know can retaliate against me if they decide to be garbage human beings because i dont trust most of humanity. Food delivery and wait staff, who have unsupervised access to my food, I'll tip.

2. People that I want to perform exceptional in future interactions. When I used to go to a full service car wash, I tipped well. Once they learned that I was a tipper after seeing me often, they would clean more thoroughly. I also have a favorite stylist that cuts my hair, I tip her to ensure to always get the best cut.

I think socially obligation of tipping is archaic and should be removed from a civilized society. Our forefathers considered it an undemocratic form of bribery that emphasized the class divide and created a serfdom mentality.

I go into any transaction with minimal expectations of what good and service I receive. If they meet those standards, then I meet my obligation of paying what I'm told to pay. A tip should only be given for exceptional service.

Tipping goes from rewarding exceptional service to a bribe to not receive degraded or sometimes disgusting service.

I accept tips when given, but i do not expect it nor demand it from my pax.I do not down rate for non-tippers and I do not look down on them, I do not let a lack of tips ruin my day or my attitude.

This is coming from a guy that get 15-20% in tips on average weekly. I made $148 in tips last week. For whatever reason, pax decided to tip me for my services. Cool, if it didnt happen, I wouldnt have cried about it.

rideshare_driver_roc likes this.
  17. reg barclay

Driving:
    UberX
    The problem is that not all service providers are getting compensated fairly, some seem to rely on tips, without which the job wouldn't be worth their while. Personally though, I'd also prefer a system change. I'd rather just pay more, so that the worker gets fairly recompensed without tips, and not be expected to tip.

In Europe, tipping seems to be less expected, and more of a voluntary thing, when a worker goes above and beyond in some way.

rideshare_driver_roc likes this.
  18. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't tip plumbers because they're already making good money I would hope. However I would argue that when it comes to personal service it doesn't get more personal than fixing a toilet. Also it's far more important to me to have a working toilet than a good haircut. But each to his own.

MoreTips and tohunt4me like this.
  19. Ribak

Ribak Well-Known Member

Exotic dancers (strippers) $5-$10
    Massage therapist $10-$20
    Barista $1-$2
    Restaurant workers (20% dine-in & 10% take out)
    Hair stylist $5
    Pizza delivery $5-$10
    UBER/LYFT $5-$25....usually $5
    UBEREATS $5
    Taxi $0

tohunt4me and Cableguynoe like this.
  20. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Bingo. Its not my job to pay the staff, its the business' job to do so. We allow them to get away with it. Repeal restaurants exemption from minimum wage laws.