• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Which companies can be trusted? Renting a car, cleaning vomit, getting insurance, etc.?

So I'm currently signing up to become an Uber Driver in Melbourne (yay!) and I'd like to be well prepared before my first trip. I don't yet own a car and I'm still waiting for my driver accreditation to become approved. A few things I want to know:
1) Which car should I rent and from what company? I was looking at the company "Splend" (is this a good company?) and they have an offer for a 2017 Kia Sportage for $269/week rent + $0.10 per km after 1000km/week + $275 one-off payment fee to use their services, with a minimum renting period of 6 weeks. Is this a good deal? Is there anything better?
2) Do I need to purchase additional car insurance, or does car insurance come automatically when you rent a car?
3) Which company should I use to clean up vomit in my future car, when it inevitably happens?
4) Is there anything else I should know? I've spent the past few days watching lots of YouTube videos about being an UberX driver and lurking through these forums, but I'm still nervous and I want to be better prepared.

Thank you in advance.

The Source

Are you planning to drive full time? Great time to get into it with the school holidays, train works and Easter.

Good coin to be made so you won't be disappointed when you sign the car lease contract and get activated by uber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah I'm planning to drive full-time as I'm currently unemployed. I'll reevaluate after a few months if I'm going to get a second job or not, depending on how much I enjoy this job and how much I'm earning.

Apollo

So I'm currently signing up to become an Uber Driver in Melbourne (yay!) and I'd like to be well prepared before my first trip. I don't yet own a car and I'm still waiting for my driver accreditation to become approved. A few things I want to know:
1) Which car should I rent and from what company? I was looking at the company "Splend" (is this a good company?) and they have an offer for a 2017 Kia Sportage for $269/week rent + $0.10 per km after 1000km/week + $275 one-off payment fee to use their services, with a minimum renting period of 6 weeks. Is this a good deal? Is there anything better?
2) Do I need to purchase additional car insurance, or does car insurance come automatically when you rent a car?
3) Which company should I use to clean up vomit in my future car, when it inevitably happens?
4) Is there anything else I should know? I've spent the past few days watching lots of YouTube videos about being an UberX driver and lurking through these forums, but I'm still nervous and I want to be better prepared.

Thank you in advance.
There's another car lease company that many people don't know about.It's called Neil.They are cheaper then Splend but they only offer White color vehicles. :sneaky:

RoboRider

If you need a "full" income don't count on Uber unless you are willing to work stupidly long hours in which case you would be better off getting a normal job. It will help bring in some $ while you find a job or give you supplementary income but beyond that many here will assure you it's a mugs game

There's another car lease company that many people don't know about.It's called Neil.They are cheaper then Splend but they only offer White color vehicles. :sneaky:
Could you please provide a link? I googled it but nothing came up.
Post automatically merged:

If you need a "full" income don't count on Uber unless you are willing to work stupidly long hours in which case you would be better off getting a normal job. It will help bring in some $ while you find a job or give you supplementary income but beyond that many here will assure you it's a mugs game
You could be right. But I'll give it a shot first and then we'll see after a few months.

zanboor

You could be right. But I'll give it a shot first and then we'll see after a few months.
I may sound like a broken record but I said it before and I say it again, this is not a job or a full time job! We do it for the fun of it, we do it to get out of home.
For the first few weeks that’s if you lease your car through Uber, you will be well looked after, then... you become a slave I’m afraid.
As per sickies, don’t pick them up in the first place but if you do, make sure you have a vomit bag, they are only cheap.
Good luck brother ?

Not to sure about the link Bro.I think they are situated in Elwood near a 7/11. :sneaky:
I'll check that store out this week. Thanks for the advice!

I may sound like a broken record but I said it before and I say it again, this is not a job or a full time job! We do it for the fun of it, we do it to get out of home.
For the first few weeks that’s if you lease your car through Uber, you will be well looked after, then... you become a slave I’m afraid.
As per sickies, don’t pick them up in the first place but if you do, make sure you have a vomit bag, they are only cheap.
Good luck brother ?
I'll make sure I don't commit to anything too huge in case you're right. That's why I like the idea of renting a car for <3 months, just in case this job doesn't work out for me.

clmre

Congratulations

Thank you in advance.
Congratulations, there's never been a better time to sign up ?
Any of the companies available in the market place are great as you'll be making so much coin from trips all those running costs will seem negligible so no reason to split hairs brother ...

heck, you could cover all wekly expenses working Friday night alone, what a gold mine that is
Once again, welcome on board, you made the right choice, in a few months time your savings account will be healthier than ever, all that credit card debt a thing of the past?

ubermercury

"Could you please provide a link? I googled it but nothing came up"

Now that made me laugh out loud - literally.

Why no mentions so far of Public Liability cover?

Congratulations

Congratulations, there's never been a better time to sign up ?
Any of the companies available in the market place are great as you'll be making so much coin from trips all those running costs will seem negligible so no reason to split hairs brother ...

heck, you could cover all wekly expenses working Friday night alone, what a gold mine that is
Once again, welcome on board, you made the right choice, in a few months time your savings account will be healthier than ever, all that credit card debt a thing of the past?
I'm sensing a hint of sarcasm in your post haha. I don't expect to be instantly rich from this job, but given that my income is currently $0/hr, what do I have to lose? Even if I make as little as $10/hr profit, I'd still be happy about that. That's an extra $400/week that I wouldn't otherwise have had if I was just sitting at home playing games on my laptop all day.

clmre

I'm sensing a hint of sarcasm in your post haha. I don't expect to be instantly rich from this job, but given that my income is currently $0/hr, what do I have to lose? Even if I make as little as $10/hr profit, I'd still be happy about that. That's an extra $400/week that I wouldn't otherwise have had if I was just sitting at home playing games on my laptop all day.
Sounds good, for what is worth look at Ace rental in tullamarine before deciding on splend, I rented a brand new Toyota Corolla last year unlimited km for $200/week, not sure if they have same deal but was pretty good then

Djhuber63

Voms R Us provide a subscription service. For just $100 a week, they provide 24 hour vomit clean up and car deodorization for the Ant on the go 24 hours seven days a week at one of their 5 convenient locations. You can check them out at www.peasandcarrots.com.au

Good luck! (seriously don't waste your time with this gig)

Even if I make as little as $10/hr profit
A little on the high side, but not unachievable :biggrin: