1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Which car under 10k?

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Leonard818, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Leonard818

Leonard818 Active Member

options
    14 focus
    15 fiesta
    15 versa
    15 dodge dart
    14 cruze

All em around 20-40k miles and dealer prices from autolist

Which one would you get?

2. TWO2SEVEN

TWO2SEVEN Active Member

Based on nothing other than preference in style I would go with the Dart or Focus.

3. jeep45238

jeep45238 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    None of the above, all too new. Get a Fit, second generation, or a high mileage prius. Both have timing chains, not belts, so that maintenance is out of the picture. Both will get great mileage (I get 39-40 mixed in a fit), and cost way less than your above options.

Buy private party and have a garage inspect before you buy, talking to a bank in person to work out interest rates and loan amount before you buy is a great strategy, as you can literally have check in hand to negotiate with.

4. someuberguy567

someuberguy567 New Member

Check out Nissan Leaf if range isnt a problem. Way too many discounts on that thing.

5. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

Unless you like risk, don't get a Focus or Fiesta. They still haven't fixed the very well publicised transmission problems. I rented a Focus this summer to see if they'd fixed it - 2016 Focus automatic, 30,000 miles. It drove like ****; as if it was being driven by a teenager who was learning to drive a manual transmission car. Terrible.

Nissan has also had problems with their transmissions. Definitely low life expectancy items.

Dart and Cruze are better but depreciation's going to be relatively heavy on them.

As said above, get an old Prius or Corolla for 6 grand.

observer and Santa like this.

6. jeep45238

jeep45238 Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Another thing on the Dart - if you get the midget-turbo engine that's shred with the Fiat Abarth, they get solenoid problems for the intake valves around 50K. The intake valves aren't driven by the camshaft as in most engines, instead the cam operates a hydraulic pump that goes to a solenoid and the computer controls that to determine when, how much, and how long to open the intake valves. Neat system, but complicated with plenty of opportunities for expensive failures

Peanut hello and observer like this.
  7. Shangsta

Shangsta Well-Known Member

He said he had a limit of 10K so a Leaf is definitely not an option. Besides the range is a joke unless you are in ecomode (no freeway driving) you would maybe get 2 or 3 hours of driving in before needing to charge.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  8. occupant

occupant Active Member

Fiesta and Focus both have transmission issues. Versa is no better. Dart is a Fiat design I'd avoid it. Of these the Cruze is the best option. Try for an LT model over an LS. Avoid the boy racer RS trim.

I'll second the Fit as well.

Consider buying new. Some dealers offer lifetime powertrain warranties. A new 2017 Forte LX or Elantra SE is around $15k after rebates and dealer discounts. Even if you can't get a lifetime warranty they still have 10 years and 100,000 miles on the powertrain.

9. LAuberX

LAuberX Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    All Used cars are priced at full value, those are not bargains, just the "pt cruisers" of the day.

Cheap and late model = problems.

You get what you pay for.

10. occupant

occupant Active Member

Careful searching can probably find a 2012 Camry or Accord near $10k.

Slow Sam likes this.
  11. Shangsta

I am not sure a new car for Uber is a wise investment. If he is looking for 20-40K he could get a certified pre owned that comes with a warranty without the major depreciation of a new car.

Kembolicous likes this.
  12. occupant

occupant Active Member

And if you go look at two and three-year-old vehicles with 20 to 40,000 miles on them they don't cost that much less than $15,000. The point is those vehicles that have large rebates and heavy discounts now may be worth less later but currently they sell for a good amount of money when used, so buying them new makes more sense than used on those models. this is particularly true with the Forte and Elantra because those models have improved significantly in the last four years and the resale value is only going to get better.

13. Shangsta

That would ignore that cars depreciate most in the first three years. Again a 3 year old car with a warranty and low mileage is the perfect sweet spot of value

renbutler likes this.
  14. Clifford Chong

Clifford Chong Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    2012 camry for 10k? I'm sold. In LA, the cheapest Camry of that generation would cost atleast 13k without problems. (Clean title, few dents, no accidents)

Accords are still 10k for even the 08 models...

Civics aren't looking so bad though. You can def. score an 09 Civic for 10k

15. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I dislike all of those

you can definitely find a 2012+ Civic , Accord , Fit, Corrolla or Camry for under $10k

All of those cars have issues except the Versa but the Versa just kinda sucks

Adieu likes this.
  16. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    2004-2005 Grand Caravan (2005 if you wanna do Lyft)

Thank me later.

Kembolicous likes this.
  17. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Heck I got a 2011 bmw 335d all bells all whistles for $11,999 almost a year ago

And that's OVERPRICED

08 accord lmao...

Shop around people

18. Lets_Eat

Lets_Eat Well-Known Member

My son calls that a "poser" vehicle... 335 entry level rich people. Post just for laughs.

19. Jimmy Bernat

Jimmy Bernat Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Lol you're thinking of a 328 the 335 is a M3 killer. Learn your cars

20. Adieu

Adieu Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    He's thinking of a 320i with cloth seats.