Which car should I buy?

tksduberx

I shall have to buy a new car because my existing one is 9 years old. Deliberating between a Hybrid Camry and a Hybrid Corolla.
Considering getting jobs to the airport Camry seems better but for economy Corolla seems better.
Suggestions solicited please.

Uber_Syd8

I would go with the cheapest and most economical to run.
All my airport pickups to date dont have that much luggage - but I dont usually do the international arrivals

Damo66

If I were replacing my car for Uber, I wouldn't buy a new car, I'd buy one that's 2 or 3 years old and already done a lot of depreciating. Cars get trashed doing Uber, so there's no point in trashing a brand new car. Corolla seems pretty small for Uber. Why not compare the Toyotas with a near new Volkswagen or Skoda diesel? In Melbourne a lot of cabs are switching to Skoda Superb diesel now that Holden/Ford are ceasing production soon. They're more comfortable and much better to drive than the Toyota as well.

Uber King

just buy an Toyota Camry Hybrid, you see them on the roads everywhere, even the dam bloody taxis drive em lol. Toyota hybrids are really cheap to run and service. it's worth while to buy a Camry hybrid.

Go go mobile123

Prius. Cant go wrong. Big deep boot for luggage. Under $50 to fill up. And buy one 2nd hand 3yrs old. For under $20K. Cant go wrong. Dont buy brand new.

tksduberx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The cost of car and gst can be claimed from the tax, so I think it's good to buy a reliable car. Also, in this forum have read that it matters to the ryder what car you are driving and they give the feedback accordingly.

Avago

The cost of car and gst can be claimed from the tax, so I think it's good to buy a reliable car. Also, in this forum have read that it matters to the ryder what car you are driving and they give the feedback accordingly.
Mate, I've got a Suzuki Sx4, similar to a 5 door Corolla...
Rating after 1,500+ rides, 4.9 rating..
90% of the rating is you, your personality, your driving, your route knowledge etc.
The car is just one component of your rating..
But that being said, if I was setting up to be a full time UberX driver, then a Camry Hybrid would be first on my list.
I have a current 2.4l Camry as my real job car and regularly drive 1.5-2.0k per week and the Camry is so comfortable..
But so is a Hyundai i40 and Skoda superb...
Driver comfort.
Gold.

Last edited:

tksduberx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Suzuki SX4 is the size of Toyota Corolla, a fairly decent size car if the passenger doesn't have many belongings.

You are right it's a combination of all the things mentioned by you.

Thanks heaps Avago. Toyota Camry hybrid is big on my mind.

Hounddub

I'll throw a curve ball at you.

Have a look at the Lexus CT200. Can buy a 2-3 year old one for $25K and run it for 40,000kms with very little depreciation.

I have 2400 drives logged in mine with a 4.92 rating. Riders love it.

Cheeeeeeap to run. Getting 4.8lt/100

Heisenberg 99.1%

Have a look at the Lexus CT200. Can buy a 2-3 year old one for $25K and run it for 40,000kms with very little depreciation.

That sounds awesome. What's service costs like for Lexus? I know it's a Toyota, but are they loads dearer?

Hounddub

Last service was $380 (15,000kms intervals). Lexus warranties are 4 years unlike Toyota 3 years. Mine has an extended warranty out to 7 years.

Worked last night, $14 fuel for nearly $500 gross earnings.

Icecool

Lexus ct 200 isnt that the hybrids . But you need to change the battery every couple of years and the Battery cost alot to replace . Wouldn't the car depreciate faster than a normal car as it is useless without the battery so the car life is depends in the battery life

Last edited:

Hounddub

I think you may need to do a little more informed research about hybrids. Lexus hybrid battery packs are warranted for 10 years.....Toyota packs are covered for 8 years. Wherever you got the information on needing to replace packs after 2 years is very very wrong.

Icecool

I think you may need to do a little more informed research about hybrids. Lexus hybrid battery packs are warranted for 10 years.....Toyota packs are covered for 8 years. Wherever you got the information on needing to replace packs after 2 years is very very wrong.
That depend on in how offend you drive it maybe 8 years but if you drive over 100,000 miles or Km then it is not cover

Last edited:

Iuber

CT200 battery warranty of 8 years or 160,000 km whichever comes first. For a full time Uber driver ~ 3 years. If buying second hand, the battery may last 1 or 2 years. ICECOOL is right that hybrid lexus does not save much or any at all. The greater depreciation of hybrid lexus + high maintenance costs negate its saving in fuel, auto experts agree too. Hybrid cars are good if you care for the environment.

Southuber

CT200 battery warranty of 8 years or 160,000 km whichever comes first. For a full time Uber driver ~ 3 years. If buying second hand, the battery may last 1 or 2 years. ICECOOL is right that hybrid lexus does not save much or any at all. The greater depreciation of hybrid lexus + high maintenance costs negate its saving in fuel, auto experts agree too. Hybrid cars are good if you care for the environment.
Where is the high maintenance cost of hybrid?
I have owened Prii for 13 years. On my 2nd one now. Are very cheap to run.
Battery went on 1st one at 275k. Picked one up from a wrecker for $750. That car is still running with no issues.
Was in a 2009 Prius last weekend as a rider. Had done over 500k and no issues with it.
Warranty on Prius battery is 8 years 160k also.

Last edited:

Southuber

Lexus ct 200 isnt that the hybrids . But you need to change the battery every couple of years and the Battery cost alot to replace . Wouldn't the car depreciate faster than a normal car as it is useless without the battery so the car life is depends in the battery life
I can tell you that you are very much misinformed if you believe that the battery needs to be replaced every couple of years.