1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Where's the $20 million?

Discussion in 'Complaints' started by elelegido, Aug 9, 2017.

?
  1. The FTC has put Uber's dollars in my pocket

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The FTC has not put Uber's dollars in my pocket

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  3. Pass that spliff

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. elelegido

elelegido Well-Known Member

It's been six months since Uber agreed to fork over $20m for bull****ting potential drivers in their recruitment ads about the money they would earn driving Uber ("a fully utilized car makes $90,000 per year" etc etc). The FTC said:

Uber Technologies, the San Francisco-based ride-hailing company, has agreed to pay $20 million to resolve Federal Trade Commission charges that it misled prospective drivers with exaggerated earning claims and claims about financing through its Vehicle Solutions Program. The $20 million will be used to provide refunds to affected drivers across the country.

“Many consumers sign up to drive for Uber, but they shouldn’t be taken for a ride about their earnings potential or the cost of financing a car through Uber,” said Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “This settlement will put millions of dollars back in Uber drivers’ pockets.”

What a crock.

2. Trump Economics

Trump Economics Well-Known Member

It's in the mail. Should come with the Lyft Driver Settlement.

Wait. For. It.

SpeedyGonzalez11 and d0n like this.
  3. steveK2016

steveK2016 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
  4. Nick781

Nick781 Well-Known Member

All drivers get this? and how much

5. Kalee

Kalee Well-Known Member

I'm sure that $20 million has found it's way deep within the silk lined pockets of attorneys.

SpeedyGonzalez11 and Kembolicous like this.

6. dirtylee

dirtylee Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Maybe you should find out how, what, where, etc & post it on here.

7. elelegido

By the look of it, zero.

The government doesn't pay its attorneys from court winnings. Trump is refurbing the White House this summer though. Maybe he's commandeered the dough.

I'll assign that to you for extra credit.

8. Mikedamirault

Mikedamirault Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So much is left unanswered

1. Who qualifies?-It basically says they promise to pay out to all drivers duped by the ad campaign, how would Uber know who signed up due to what was said in the ads? Are only the drivers that signed up to drive during a certain time eligible? Just like
    Nick781Nick781 asked, are all drivers supposed to get it? You would think if it were really going to happen, information about it would be in everyone's news feed, do we have to show up at a greenlight center to ask?

2. How does Uber plan to pay out?-How are we supposed to get it? Check in the mail? As part of our weekly payout? Automatic Direct Deposit? Instant Pay payout (to registered debit card or GOBank card if applicable)? Would we have to go to the green light center and pick up cash/check in person?

3. When do they plan on paying out?-Is this something they plan on paying out now? Do we have to wait a week/month/year until this happens?

4. How much?-So they say they plan on giving $20mil overall, but how much per driver? Of course it would depend on how many drivers there are and who are elegible, and wether it's an even cut to every elegible driver or of there's a system to what they pay out to who

With the lack of that information (and more), I doubt we will be seeing any of it, just one of Uber's many lies to get out of hot water, not to mention, with a company hemorrhaging as much money as Uber, where are they getting this $20M from?

I wouldn't be surprised that if it did happen you would have a limited time to ask about it and you "might" get your cut, or they will just say "Too late, your cut is no longer available"

9. Robert finnly

Robert finnly Active Member

10. elelegido

Uber owes the money to the FTC; it's the FTC that has said it's going to give the money to drivers. If it were Uber's responsibility to distribute the money then obviously there would be no money because Uber lies and cheats, but it's not like the federal government to... uh.... Forget it.

11. Mikedamirault

Driving:
    UberX
    I have more faith in the govt paying out than Uber for the same reason you just stated, though that raises even more questions

Being that the FTC would have to pay out, the FTC has no way to communicate to Uber's drivers (except for possibly email, if Uber is willing to divulge that information), so there would be no way for the FTC to contact elegible drivers (or any drivers for that matter), that they are getting a payment, and said information definitely not end up in the news feed

This will also eliminate the possibility of a payout showing up on our weekly statement/payout let alone direct deposit or instant pay, meaning that the payout would have to be given in the form of a federal check in the mail (the same kind of check as a tax return check), we (the drivers) would have to show up at some local government office with ties to the FTC to receive payment (by either check or cash) or they would just throw it into unclaimed funds where we would be responsible for checking

With lack of knowledge that we are even owed anything, and the fact that we are responsible for tracking down this money that we don't even know about or even if we are elegible for that matter, Uber is forced to pay $20M to the FTC that is supposed to be dispersed among us drivers

So say Uber pays this $20M and the FTC refuses to pay us, Uber at that point paid so we can't complain to them, at that point it's the FTC's responsibility

In that case, I don't know who's side to be on, the FTC's side for making Uber pay up or Uber's side for paying the FTC and them for possibly not paying up

At the very least drivers should know about it and wether or not they are elegible and if so, should find out how to get compensated

12. elelegido

This thread is tongue in cheek - it doesn't really matter what the FTC does with the money. The reason is:

Uber currently has 600,000 drivers. Assuming zero drivers in 2009, a constant driver growth rate and a constant 12-month retention rate of 10%, my arguably crude mathematical modelling shows that the total number of people who have ever driven for Uber is around 1.5 million. If the FTC were to pay out the $20m to these people, each person would get 14 bucks and some change.

Obviously Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection hadn't sense checked the numbers before saying she was going to put millions in our pockets. She comes across as a little foolish.

Bottom like, I'd like my 14 dollars but I'm not holding out too much hope.

13. Robertk

Robertk Well-Known Member

every successful class action suit ends the same way.... the lawyers take 2/3 of the settlement and the millions of plaintiffs get a coupon for $10 off your next purchase of $100 or more.

14. Mikedamirault

Driving:
    UberX
    Millions in our pockets? Did she honestly think there were only >20 drivers? Yeah, she's an idiot

That said, not to sound like a penny pincher, but I don't care if it were only $5, of there's a penny with my name on it, I want it

It's kind of like those pax that say "I'll tip you if you if you take be to TB", make a mess of your car eating it even when you tell them not to, then get to their destination and say "yeah, um, I don't have any cash, I'll tip you in the app" then never do, at least in that case you can request a cleaning fee

15. Uberfunitis

Uberfunitis Well-Known Member

millions in our pockets does not mean that any one person will get any substantial amount of money. Giving millions to the drivers means literally spreading millions out over the entire driving base. Nobody will get rich off this deal other than perhaps some lawyers.

16. elelegido

You're kind of late to the party there, chief. As I said above, we'd each get 14 bucks and change if they paid everyone.
    We already covered that, too.
    I'm seeing a pattern here.