Where are Uber litigation checks?

johncarlsbad

Your insinuation that - "at worst" - I'll have lost "time" when your shenanigans finally get dismissed is arrogant beyond belief.

In august before the final approval, I was diagnosed with cancer stage 4. I was hoping for my payout before Christmas so as to use it to try to create some lasting memories with loved ones. But due to your selfish actions that did not happen and is not going to happen before I’m gone from this world.
So when you say all it cost me was time, it turns out that’s the one thing I have precious little of How can you argue that time really doesn’t matter? It matters very much to me my family and 5599 other members of the class?

Carbuncle

It is nothing but crazy ramblings like the Unibomber.

He is convinced he is right, and he is taking us down with him. If he had a wall, it would be covered in newspaper clippings, pictures of Travis and Dara, and snippets of case law, with strings attached to all of them.

He thinks uber is illegal (which has no impact on this case), and nothing will convince him otherwise. The fact that uber is operating fine, and no one has come along and sued them, or the attorney generals of all of the states have not shut them down shows you that they are perfectly within the law. No driver cares if they are even legal or not, just this crackpot. For some reason he thinks they are illegal and he will get all of his commissions back. in fact, if what uber did was illegal, then what drivers are doing is illegal, and you will get nothing.

And if you don't know, sovereign citizens are a movement of crackpots that also quote obscure rules and regulations thinking that they do not have to follow the law, and it always ends badly for them. There are a lot of good youtube videos of them quoting obscure laws and regulations that ends up with them with a broken window, and getting dragged out of the car.
The cops still come off as complete goons and jerks in every one of these instances.

This country is so f-ed up on every level🤦🏼‍♂️

SCdave

I have over 5 years driving with Uber.

I believe I deserve much much more from Uber from our O'Connor vs Uber case you are appealing.

But like in many types of negotiations, I accept the Settlement Agreement in our case as being in my "best interest".

I repeat this. I accept the Settlement Agreement in this case as being " in my best interest".

And only one person has filed an Appeal and that is Mendel.

One out of thousands. You do not represent me. You do not represent the majority or any other member drivers of this class action case.

There are many ways you can express your destain of Uber Corporate and/or the Law Firm which represented us.

I would even consider applauding you or even joining you in those "other" legal fights against Uber Corporate.

But you are hurting me and thousands of other drivers by appealing this one case"s Settlement Agreement.

Your Appeal is at the point of being selfish. Your Appeal is at the point of being self serving. Your Appeal will likely, yes likely attribute to harm to many Settlement members in their current dire needs for financial relief. And even potentially some Settlement members not having the choice to stay home but to now have to go out to drive or do deliveries or other work and not Stay Home.

I am not going to argue any legal points.

I am not going to argue any ethical points about Uber Corp.

Neither are relevant at this point for Me.

Please drop you Appeal today. Allow me to receive my Settlement as soon as possible without further delay.

I desperately need the money.

Then please spend your energy fighting the good fight against Uber Corporate.

Last edited:

airportsedan

Sorry LilLyftie that you think you have the right to break the law just because Lyft does. It is illegal to sell or arrange passenger transportation to private motor vehicles. LOOK IT UP 49 CFR 372.101. YOU ARE in fact violating my right to "equal application of the laws."
I have run my BLACK CAR business for more than 40 years, in at least 5 states. Not one TNC Uber or Lyft driver is allowed to haul passengers without having State passenger vehicle registration or State passenger authority at a minimum, read the law, 49 U.S.C. 14501(d) which when passed by Congress was called the "RIDE ACT." It was the federal regulation of the Black Car business. You have no State (commercial plates) vehicle registration or State "TCP" authority to haul passengers or federally approved insurance.

Now I just laid out the law and WHAT right of mine you are actually violating....let's see if you can step it up and tell me why I should allow you Uber or Lyft to keep breaking the law, when I am complying with it.

You can do better than vent emotionally, can't you, you read enough to complain without any basis in law or fact. TRY AGAIN.

Like others you are helping me to work on my skills for oral argument, thanks!
I noticq
I have over 5 years driving with Uber.

I believe I deserve much much more from Uber from our O'Connor vs Uber case you are appealing.

But like in many types of negotiations, I accept the Settlement Agreement in our case as being in my "best interest".

I repeat this. I accept the Settlement Agreement in this case as being " in my best interest".

And only one person has filed an Appeal and that is Mendel.

One out of thousands. You do not represent me. You do not represent the majority or any other member drivers of this class action case.

There are many ways you can express your destain of Uber Corporate and/or the Law Firm which represented us.

I would even consider applauding you or even joining you in those "other" legal fights against Uber Corporate.

But you are hurting me and thousands of other drivers by appealing this one case"s Settlement Agreement.

Your Appeal is at the point of being selfish. Your Appeal is at the point of being self serving. Your Appeal will likely, yes likely attribute to harm to many Settlement members in their current dire needs for financial relief. And even potentially some Settlement members not having the choice to stay home but to now have to go out to drive or do deliveries or other work and not Stay Home.

I am not going to argue any legal points.

I am not going to argue any ethical points about Uber Corp.

Neither are relevant at this point for Me.

Please drop you Appeal today. Allow me to receive my Settlement as soon as possible without further delay.

I desperately need the money.

Then please spend your energy fighting the good fight against Uber Corporate.
I argue that Mendel should pursue financial damages against the CPUC.

Ambiguous

I hope your happy with yourself mendel, you are solely responsible for someone dying of cancer not being able to spend his last days with his family and are putting us all at risk of getting the virus and dying since we have to go out and work. Your actions have led to the death of others and you will be sued for this.

Ubercraft

Mendel, if you really were that concerned about how us drivers are being treated by Uber/Lyft, why didn't you reach out to us (via these forums) BEFORE you went on your appeals crusade? Not that you would've had any buy-in, but after further discussions, and no insults or threats towards you, perhaps you would have reconsidered based on our feedback. That to me would have been a fair and appropriate way to go about it. The fact that you didn't do this, and the fact that you still don't take any of our feelings or situations into account, proves that this is ALL ABOUT YOU!!! I've read every single posting you made on this thread, and all you are doing is telling us we just don't get it, and we are misinformed, yadda-yadda-yadda! No one but you cares that Uber is operating illegally and all the other stuff you are fighting for. We all know what kind of company they are. But we all have agreed to and accepted the settlement amount. That is our right, and anyone who is in total disagreement with it had the option to remove themselves from the class action and arbitration altogether. No one forced us to join this class and to accept the settlement. NO ONE!!!

The world is set up to favor the wealthy, powerful elite. It is NOT fair at all, but that is how it is. Of course, I feel I deserve more than what is being offered, but I can say that about any job I've ever had, many presents I have received over the years, girls that I have dated, etc. Life ain't fair! Imagine if I turned down everything ever given to me in my life just because I knew I was entitled to more. My life would be nothing but an empty void filled with depression, boredom and frustration.

I know nothing is gonna change your mind, so I'm not even going to ask. But dude, let this shit go already on your crusade. I can tell you something, the powers that be will always prevail. Always! That is how the world works.

Ambiguous

by the way mendel if your address is the same on court documents have you enjoyed all the gifts in the mail you’ve received? :smiles:

Shakey Jake

I was waiting for that money to quit uber and move out of state. Now I am stuck here until the check comes in.

This is what happens when one of them is a serial litigator who has a vendetta against uber for what I imagine is for ruining his black car service and making him homeless, and he is taking all of us down with him.

Uberscum

I was waiting for that money to quit uber and move out of state. Now I am stuck here until the check comes in.

This is what happens when one of them is a serial litigator who has a vendetta against uber for what I imagine is for ruining his black car service and making him homeless, and he is taking all of us down with him.
Isnt it obvious by now that he has an Ace up his sleeve?

PTB

Post automatically merged:

the clerk at the 9th circuit has been notified of the writ
I am sure the 9th circuit will review it and give ole ginsburg a call ? and tell her how insubstantial the complaint

Dear Clerk:
The petition for a writ of certiorari in the above entitled case was filed on March 18, 2020 and placed on the docket March 23, 2020 as No. 19-8075.

"Mendel filed in January, the Clerk of the U.S. Supreme Court returned the Petition because of a procedural rule."

procedural rule?
who's the clerk and what's the rule?
I want this clerk/rule stricken from the case

Last edited:

PTB

Rule 15, page 14

5. If the Clerk determines that a petition submitted timely and in good faith is in a form that does not comply with this Rule or with Rule 33 or Rule 34, the Clerk will return it with a letter indicating the defciency. A corrected petition submitted in accordance with Rule 29.2 no more than 60 days after the date of the Clerk’s letter will be deemed timely.

ValleyAntMan

After having re-read the entirety of Mendel's comments on here, I realize he will remain wholly ignorant to the hardships he alone causes almost 6,000 of his fellow drivers.

Mendel; one last time from me: while you style yourself as defender of drivers' rights, you are alone in your Quixotic quest against windmills. In that class we got lumped together with you unfortunately, I suspect none, zero, nada of the 5,999 drivers other than you see you as their potential savior. I see you as a selfish man who has caused me, someone in need just like you, irreparable harm already. Your insinuation that - "at worst" - I'll have lost "time" when your shenanigans finally get dismissed is arrogant beyond belief: time is of the essence in the current economic crisis. Had I received the payout already, I'd stand a much better chance in retaining my rent-controlled apartment of 15 years. As it is, as a direct consequences of your actions, I may lose it, and with it a monthly thousand dollar in rent savings in perpetuity. That is the personal carnage you are inflicting on me. Do not dare to think that you are acting somehow on my behalf. You do not.

I do now realize that you are selfish, arrogant and willfully ignorant beyond belief, and you will make us all suffer to the end. That end, as I understand it, comes April 22nd, when the appeal get dismissed.

So then, at this point, the time-line is now fixed, isn't it:
April 22
+ 7 days
+ 21 days (minimum processing time)
-------
The very earliest date for mailing of checks will be Wednesday, May 20th.

Do I have that right?
No. That timeline is not correct. 4/22 is just the deadline for SLR or any of the other participants to file a response to Mendel's petition. Nobody is required to respond and, hopefully, nobody will. If anybody does file a response, Mendel will have 10 days to file his final answer. After this, the case can be scheduled for conference and Mendel's appeal can be properly executed. The minimum time for mailing of checks after that is 28 days. The more likely time is almost 67 days after denial of the writ is published.

Right now, we cannot estimate the mailing date because we don't know, and cannot estimate, how long after 4/22 SCOTUS will actually have the file in conference.

As for Mr. Mendel, he's made it clear from his recent posts that he considers anyone that opposes his insane campaign to be his enemy. Convincing him that it's better to drop all this would be tougher than getting President Pumpkinhead to stop tweeting. It's a waste of time.

Besides Mendel, the other guy that really hurt us was the clerk that apparently denied the original petition Mendel filed in January. As far as I can tell, there's never been any kind of notice that had happened. So, for two months since SCOTUS returned to conference, we've been anxiously waiting for the order denying the petition when it wasn't even in the pipeline!

Last edited:

Shakey Jake

Are we getting them this week or in November??? This is not professional...
Just to remind everyone of this, that this is the first post. He was lamenting that he might have to wait until November for his check.

We were so optimistic back then before Mendal came in to ruin our lives.

Last edited:

gfus9999

The writ of certiorari was filed with the ninth circuit under rule 18 on Jan 23rd. Rule 18 gives 60 days to file the all the paperwork required before it can be placed on the docket. This also allows for applying to the free version of an appeal (in forma pauperis). So on March 18th Mendel filed the 'MOTION FOR LEAVE TO PROCEED IN FORMA PAUPERIS'. Then on March 23 (the day before the 60 day deadline) he filed the petition and the appendix documents. That got the appeal to be placed on the docket. Now there is 30 days to wait for the responses. This appeal contains 3 court cases not just the O'Connor case so in order to speed this up all parties need to file response waivers or an actual response.

Rule 18.3

No more than 60 days after fling the notice of appeal in the district court, the appellant shall fle 40 copies of a jurisdictional statement and shall pay the Rule 38 docket fee, except that an appellant proceeding in forma pauperis under Rule 39, including an inmate of an institution, shall fle the number of copies required for a petition by such a person under Rule 12.2, together with a motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis, a copy of which shall precede and be attached to each copy of the jurisdictional statement. The jurisdictional statement shall follow, insofar as applicable, the form for a petition for a writ of certiorari prescribed by Rule 14, and shall be served as required by Rule 29. The case will then be placed on the docket. It is the appellant’s duty to notify all appellees promptly, on a form supplied by the Clerk, of the date of fling, the date the case was placed on the docket, and the docket number of the case
Annotation 2020-03-27 000914.png

Last edited: