• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

When Their Shifts End, Uber Drivers Set Up Camp in Parking Lots Across the U.S.

NFIH

Interesting how the mainstream press seem to be awakening to the treatment of workers in the gig economy.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-23/when-their-shifts-end-uber-drivers-set-up-camp-in-parking-lots-across-the-u-s
Tugas drives over 70 hours a week in San Francisco, where the work is steadier and fares are higher than in his hometown, Sacramento. So every Monday morning, Tugas leaves at 4 a.m., says goodbye to his wife and four daughters, drives 90 miles to the city, and lugs around passengers until he earns $300 or gets too tired to keep going. (Most days he nets $230 after expenses like gas.) Then, he and at least a half dozen other Uber drivers gathered in the Social Safeway parking lot to sleep in their cars before another long day of driving.

What a horror story. This is not a life.

Do tell

Tugas drives over 70 hours a week in San Francisco, where the work is steadier and fares are higher than in his hometown, Sacramento. So every Monday morning, Tugas leaves at 4 a.m., says goodbye to his wife and four daughters, drives 90 miles to the city, and lugs around passengers until he earns $300 or gets too tired to keep going. (Most days he nets $230 after expenses like gas.) Then, he and at least a half dozen other Uber drivers gathered in the Social Safeway parking lot to sleep in their cars before another long day of driving.

What a horror story. This is not a life.
That wouldn't be my choice of a life.But if it works for him.I say,more power to him and his family for at least being a doer.

Whenever I see someone doing this.
canlady.jpg
I stop to have a conversation with them.You'll be surprised how friendly and happy they are for someone to have a conversation with them.Because they're usually ostracized.

To me,these are the overachievers in life.Even though they're living a life of adversity,they're not giving up.

http://bronxjournal.com/2011/06/recycling-to-survive-some-face-abuse/

Do tell

Dude, I spent over 30 years in the health care industry. Also helped pioneer the introduction of analytical genomics to undergraduate medical students after the human genome was sequenced in 2001. I think I speak and write with not just authority but real hands on experience.
Man..... Karl Marx and his depressing suicidal posts. Every time I read your post I want to slit my throat.
Don't do it.Assisted suicide is his goal.He's been working on it for over 30 years.:eek: