When should you fill up your gas???

Ben105

I fill mine a the beginning of a shift. I drive for about 3 or 4 hours and get down to about a half a tank. Before next shift, I'll fill it up again. If I'm not driving (only personal driving) I wait until it's less than a 1/4 tank. I only fill up more regularly when I'm driving because I don't want to have to strop driving, turn off app and fill up.

everythingsuber

Personal theory is fuel goes stale if you leave it in the tank long enough. This theory is completely unproven and may have no scientific basis but I like the idea of fresh fuel I don't like filling up until the tank is 75% empty.

kc ub'ing!

I go till the low fuel idiot light pops on with audible, "feed me Seymour" ding. Figure I have about 25 miles of fuel left at that point. If alone, I'll fuel up. If on a long ride with a pax, I'll stress, white knuckle it and keep my eyes glued to the miles to go countdown on the navigator app! Really gets the heart rate going.

Lando74

If prices are trending up I fill up as often as I can. If prices are trending down I wait as long as possible. Either way the gas in my tank costs as little as possible.

observer

I go till the low fuel idiot light pops on with audible, "feed me Seymour" ding. Figure I have about 25 miles of fuel left at that point. If alone, I'll fuel up. If on a long ride with a pax, I'll stress, white knuckle it and keep my eyes glued to the miles to go countdown on the navigator app! Really gets the heart rate going.
This is not a good idea. Most fuel pumps are now located inside the gas tank. The fuel pump is actually cooled by the gasoline. You could be shortening the life of your pump.

5 Star Guy

Impressed with the reference and the bell. :cool: I've pulled into gas stations on vapors, twice. The beetle I had stalled out just as I got up to the island and didn't need a push. :eek: I too follow the price trends. I fill up the day before a storm and lately I've tried the 8 gallon theory to get rewards or a car wash or for the price trend up or down. :rolleyes: You definitely want a full tank if you're doing this all day or two days in a row. Ok if the weather is going to be bad, really cold or raining or snow I'll fill up so I don't have to later. :rolleyes: