1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

When she cries in your car...

Discussion in 'Stories' started by MadTownUberD, May 1, 2018.

1. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What do you do?

Had one this morning who got in right after the five minute wait time. Apparently her daughter threw up. I tried to sympathize by saying my son wasn't feeling well recently either, but beyond that I didn't know what to say. I asked how her day was going otherwise and the response was not exactly positive.

Then "every breath you take" came on my Journey Pandora station. She started sniffling. Oh dear.

Dropped her off and said "have a good day". 4* for wait time.

2. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust Well-Known Member

4 stars after her daughter threw up. That’s harsh.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    SaintCl89, Quest09, Ziggy and 9 others like this.
  3. forqalso

forqalso Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I had a woman that had just been let go from her job. She was crying, so all I said was she still had the same skills that got her hired and now her resume was a little longer. I guess it helped, she didn’t jump out into traffic.

Cdub2k, stpetej, Quest09 and 7 others like this.
  4. IERide

IERide Well-Known Member

Crying??!! There's no crying in uber!!!

Woohaa, UberFord, Stephen and 13 others like this.
  5. forqalso

forqalso Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Only on pay day.

Golfer48625, Stephen, kbrown and 16 others like this.

6. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Pretend I don't notice.

Seriously. I don't knwo what to say.

I've has a few.

A couple of girls I kinda just felt they got in a bog fight with the boyfriend or something like that. Nothing too bad.
    But noticed them crying, acted like I didn't notice it.

I had one woman maybe 9 or 10 months ago that was crying as if someone had just died.
    I'm pretty sure she had lost someone.

It was the most awkward 10 minutes of my life.

I actually said nothing as she exited my car. I usually say "have a good day", but I stopped myself then didn't know what to say.

No tip.

7. 1.5xorbust

This is strictly U/L related right?

Saltyoldman and Cableguynoe like this.
  8. Cableguynoe

ha!
    That changes everything!

Does the trunk count?

9. backcountryrez

backcountryrez Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I also had a few like this, people coming in looking sullen, crying, or just straight frustrated.

I always ask, "is everything all right?"

Normally, they see this as an opening to use my vehicle as a soapbox for their tirade/trauma/depression.

I nod, act like I'm listening, then say "I'm sorry this has happened to you. I've gone through the same. For an extra special donation, I can tell you what I did to get through it."

Just kidding. I don't ask for the tip, but just stroke their ego in the hopes of getting a tip.

If they answer with "I'm fine" and don't volunteer any more information, I'm not going to probe any more and just turn up the music to drown out their incessant sobbing. This usually leads to a less than 5*, which is unfair because I didn't make you this way, maybe you deserved whatever it is you were getting (ok, just kidding. I do have a tiny bit of compassion, but Ubering is chipping away at it).

Termie, gbaby, melusine3 and 6 others like this.
  10. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    I was on the fence about this decision for a bit. But I have to stick with: my ratings of riders have to do with my ability to make money (or more importantly the next driver's ability to make money) and my overall driving experience.

She didn't text or call me to say "I'll be out in a minute, my daughter just threw up". She didn't offer a cash tip, however small, for the fact that I waited about 6 minutes at pickup. So 4* is appropriate. Presumably she left the child with someone else when she went off to work...why didn't that person take over?

Also: her address is several minutes away from downtown / a normal surge area (I just happened to be close by during non surge). What if a driver drives out there and misses surge because of the 5 minutes next time there's a child related issue?

I just looked and I don't have any new 5* ratings or in app tips from the trips I did this morning. I think I'm becoming more and more like Samoir.

melusine3, MHR, KenLV and 4 others like this.
  11. 1.5xorbust

You had to wait a few seconds beyond five minutes to start the trip. Still harsh imo but maybe I’m just a softy.

Highland Hauler and MadTownUberD like this.
  12. Who is John Galt?

Who is John Galt? Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
  13. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    Per my new "half-star" rules, which I try to abide by, no cash tip docks you half a star and wait time in excess of the two minutes docks you a half star (starting with 5 star). Inspired by JulescaseJulescase , the goal is to give non cash tippers 4* or less without being too mean. So you have to be pretty darn near perfect if you don't want to give me a cash tip but want me to rate you 5*. I texted her immediately after accepting the request saying I would be there in 5 minutes. She had 10 minutes to text or call me to explain the situation. I was very close to Cancel -> No Show.

Don't worry, the driver who gives her a ride home today will mindlessly give her 5*. She was pretty good looking, and an otherwise very good rider. Without giving too many details, people in her apparent profession tend to be (no, it's nothing lewd).

1.5xorbust likes this.
  14. Zen Unicorn

Zen Unicorn Member

My latest crying pax was a pregnant 19yo who was considering an abortion. I gave her a handout of non-religious counseling resources and kept my pro-choice opinions to myself. Shifted conversation to what does she wants for HER, how to use the job building classes. Should start handing out condoms instead of life savers. :)

15. 1.5xorbust

I look forward to reading this when I have an hour or so. In the meantime is there an executive summary?

Lissetti, MHR, Rakos and 1 other person like this.
  16. Who is John Galt?

Who is John Galt? Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    LOL. Yes, but it is still awaiting board approval.

Meanwhile, the heroine in this story has actually been involved in further 'engagements' which make for somewhat interesting reading, so probably best that you catch this intro so that you may then fully appreciate and savour the forthcoming delights.

1.5xorbust likes this.

17. MadTownUberD

Driving:
    UberX
    Emphasizing "what does she want for HER" is not exactly keeping your pro-choice opinions to yourself because there is now another person involved...but I suppose that's just my pro-life opinion. But yes it is always tricky to respond to people when they start talking about certain things (like my interesting conversation with all-night orgy girl), and thanks for contributing to my thread. :)

18. rideshareMN

rideshareMN Well-Known Member

I've had four that I remember at the moment -- could be more:

2 women, and oddly enough 2 men
    makes for a very sad ride to be sure

MadTownUberD likes this.
  19. Cableguynoe

For men I would have said
    "cut that chit out"

melusine3, MHR and MadTownUberD like this.
  20. rideshareMN

rideshareMN Well-Known Member

you wouldn't have said that for the two crying men I had...just tried to make them feel better and hoped like hell I came up with the right words

KellyC and MadTownUberD like this.