When more than 4 riders get into your sedan

golfinganddriving

Ok, so this must have happened to most of you. Happened to me 3 times and tonite again. I am Uber X, regular sedan, 4 seatbelts. 5 riders get into the car. I didnt catch it until 2 blocks down the road. Of course it was college kids just trying to be cheap and avoid a Lyft Plus. (uber XL).
The first time this happened to me I was only driving one week, and I ignored it. But last 2 times including last night I told them they had to get out and order XL. They whined that they shouldnt be charged. I told them dont worry about it, then promptly got my cancel fee once they were out.

What is your folks policy on this? I dont even know if this is a violation (DMV law).

ROCuberguy585

It is both against the law and Uber/Lyft policy to take more riders than you have seatbelts for. Whether or not you enforce them wearing seatbelts is up to you since under New York State law riders over 16 are fined personally for not buckling up. It's up to you whether you want to risk a ticket or your relationship with Uber to keep riders happy. I won't. I also don't allow open containers and won't drive small children if their parents don't provide a booster seat. This is why I never start the trip till everyone is in the car and ready to go, this way if I have cancel and they are upset they can't rate me (they can if you start the trip before canceling).

Also if you are an XL and take an X trip be sure to keep an eye on the number of riders. I've heard of people trying to scam XL rides for the X price. If more than 4 riders get in be sure to have Uber adjust the fare. They might downrate you out of spite but you deserve to get paid properly.

ROCuberguy585

They will still get an email receipt notifying them of the fare change. Not unless you wait 72 hours so they can't rate you (assuming Uber will let you change it that far out).

So not sure how it works for sure but I'm assuming since riders have 72 hours to rate us that they don't have the b option to change ratings like we do?

ShinyAndChrome

They will still get an email receipt notifying them of the fare change. Not unless you wait 72 hours so they can't rate you (assuming Uber will let you change it that far out).

So not sure how it works for sure but I'm assuming since riders have 72 hours to rate us that they don't have the b option to change ratings like we do?
They will. I don't know if you can tell uber to prohibit a punitive rating from them in light of this fare change.

Merc7186

Uber will still allow them to give you a shitty rating ....happened to me two nights ago and rider gave me a 4 star rating...so I gave them a 3 star in return.

With Uber, it's easy to get that corrected. If anything, when I pull up and they have more friends standing there, I kindly suggest that I can take up to 6 passangers then get the fare changed after the fact.

With Lyft, their official policy is to have rider cancel and rebook correctly, even if rider gets mad....that is what they told me. If you show up to a Lyft and they have more than 4, get them to cancel and rebook or stall long enough to get the cancellation fee and drive away.

...and don't feel bad about screwing them because when they order, they know what they are doing and are basically trying to screw you.

EDITED (5 minutes later) Speaking of the Lyft devils....they just responded....clearly I must be the first person ever to inquire about this...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170916-114156.png
    Screenshot_20170916-114156.png
    44 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20170916-114216.png
    Screenshot_20170916-114216.png
    50 KB · Views: 37