When educated guesses fail

Mista T

Author
I despise short rides, only because they don't pay. So, I tend to low rate the people who do a majority of short rides. But sometimes it backfires...

Picked up a kid (18, 19?) and took him home. It was a decent distance, but he tells me works at the local theater and takes Uber home every night. It's only a mile but his family wants him to Uber for safety. So I gave him a low rating, blocked from future pairings. Not like that will ever be a money maker... anyone ever get a tip from an older teen? Rarely....

He gave me a % tip, came out to be a little over $4.

My very next ride was from the theater, another kid getting off work! Do you know ___, do you get free movies, etc? Very short ride, just over a mile. Again low rated him, blocked.

The kid gave me a $5 tip on top of my minimum fare!

My ONLY tips on Uber today, and I blocked them both, lol.

BikingBob

One of my regulars is sort of like that. Not a kid - but she part time's at a local movie theater and I take her into work on Sunday usually since I am close to her. It's like a $5 ride but since she's an opener or whatever she hands out free soda coupons or small popcorn. But that's pretty nice of them, I can't imagine they get paid a ton. Unless they're using their parent's credit cards and they're playing with House Money.

Christinebitg

For that $5 tip, I'm fine with the short trip. Different strokes, I guess.

If I had to drive 5 or 10 minutes to get to it, I might feel differently.

Christine

Cableguynoe

Don't lose sleep over it. Anyone who takes Uber that frequently should be able to figure out, eventually, why it's taking longer and longer to get picked up (their rating), and start to tip in cash.
agreed.
They should be tipping in cash if they're regulars

Gilby

I just tipped my tow truck driver $10 in cash this morning because USAA covered the tow and I felt like he should get something from me. He pushed the car and everything, into and out of parking spots.
Ummm.... why did you need a tow truck?

Amsoil Uber Connect

I just gave 1 stars. Not sure if the Uber lies are true that they now block with 1 star or not.
Why I like Lyfts 24hr rating system better. Now when they say, " I'll tip you in the app." I just laugh inside cause your getting a 3*.

Its a gamble with uber.

About 2 years ago I did 1* a high school kid just to see if it works that way, nope got 'em again 2 weeks later. I think you have to go through support to get it to work. Unless they did change that.

Drivincrazy

In LV I drive the Strip most of the time. The majority of the rides average around 2 to 2.5 miles. I've learned to live with them.
And, now, with mileage rate down to 60 cents per mile, who wants a long ride when you are likely to deadhead back? You get sick of losing money real fast, not to mention the devaluation of your wheels. Thanks Uber. Thanks Dara.

heynow321

I do the same thing op. Every now and then you’re wrong and an innocent rider gets caught in the crossfire but it’s usually rare

Julescase

I just tipped my tow truck driver $10 in cash this morning because USAA covered the tow and I felt like he should get something from me. He pushed the car and everything, into and out of parking spots.

You are just too adorably sweet. :smiles: There's something to be said about a guy who is generous with tipping and also considerate about who he tips. (Unlike certain UP.net members who don't tip even when the situation absolutely calls for tipping and everyone knows it and there's no way to deny it). :rolleyes:

Cableguynoe

Tipping when your down on your luck needing a tow really shows the type of person you are.

A while back I needed about a 60 mile tow.
(Yes while ubering)
Unfortunately I had no cash on me and it was paid through AAA.
Not sure if I had paid with a credit card if there would be option to tip.
But I had no way to.

I have had the same guy twice in about 2 months.
I tipped him pretty good.