1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

When do you give up trying to find a rider

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Easters, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:01 AM.

1. Alison Chains

Alison Chains Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    They're on a smartphone, they get texts. If there's any doubt, such as notoriously awkward or dangerous pickup spots, buildings with entrances on more than one street, or when my spidey sense says that the app has mismatched the pin and the address, I will text ahead with an appropriate query or instructions *if* I get the time at a red light. Otherwise I text my exact location upon arrival and they can guide me by phone or text as they please. I don't make calls.

At 4:00 they get a second text repeating my location and stating very clearly that I will be at that location for 2 minutes and a generous six-minute total wait. That does get most of them out. Unless I'm blocking traffic, in which case I don't screw around with texts but circle the block and GTFO no-show at 5:00 sharp.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017 at 11:10 AM
  2. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    If it is a house on a side street, I pull up front with flashers on....

If it's a busier area and Im parked out front of a business or partially blocking the street, I send my standard text upon arrival....

XL fares will get a 2nd text...

All scenarios ends up with a Rider No Show at 5:01

Rakos likes this.
  3. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

I had a Line ride no-show the other day. I didn't call and got the $5.

Rakos likes this.
  4. ShinyAndChrome

ShinyAndChrome Well-Known Member

The more rides I do the more I look forward to 5 min so I can hit cancel no show.

Merc7186, Rakos and negeorgia like this.
  5. RNUber3

RNUber3 Active Member

So for lyft do you have to call or can you text to get a cxl fee? I just started with lyft today, and I hate calling. I'd rather text...

6. htboston

htboston Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    4 times? That's 4 times too many.

JimKE, Merc7186 and Rakos like this.
  7. touberornottouber

touberornottouber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It varies depending on things like whether it is long trip, rider's rating, where the pickup is. For apartments (Especially if gated) if the rider has a low rating then I give up pretty quickly and cancel as soon as I can to get the no show (part of this is because they tend to blame me for any problems - best to just wash my hands of them). For a hotel in a decent area I'll wait a little longer.

Generally though if I call twice and there is no answer I'm gone no matter what.

Rakos likes this.
  8. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Oh yeah! This is something that all of us learn when we're newbies. Some learn quickly, and then there is my "slow" group where it takes a while to sink in, lol.

I've had two beauties like that in the last couple of weeks:
    1. one Friday afternoon, approaching dinner hour and starting to get busy, small surge. I pull into the driveway and sit for two minutes until wait time starts being charged. I send an "Uber is here" text. With about one minute to go, I get a txt back: "Thanks! :)" 5...4...3...2...1...You are eligible for a cancellation fee. Boom, cancel, gone. Immediate ping for a better ride, with pax toes to the curb.
    2. At a busy mall where lots of tourists go -- therefore usually yielding nice rides back to tourist hotels. I get a ping for a ride from a nearby hotel (most likely a <10 mile airport trip). Same scenario as above, send text after two minutes. "OK. I'm getting money from the ATM." 5...4...3...2...1...You are eligible for a cancellation fee. Boom, cancel, gone. Immediate ping to the mall for long trip to tourist hotel, again at the curb.
    And Lyft Line requests are a true thing of beauty. The timer starts as you approach, and if they're not toes to the curb it is almost always a cancellation -- and you get the full $5.

9. ShinyAndChrome

ShinyAndChrome Well-Known Member

I hate that lyft requires us to call, but I am going to adopt the call at 4:40 type thing. I really believe by that point the pax is so rude I don't want a ride with them anyway. If they make us wait that long they don't deserve a ride.

In truth I've only had a few no shows so far but my very favorite was earlier this month and I hit no-show just as the guy finally left the bar and, as I drove off, he was screaming at me to come back in front of an entire crowd. It was glorious and made my night.

rideshareMN likes this.
  10. Saltyoldman

Saltyoldman Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Simple. 5 mins