• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

When do the passengers see the ratings you give them?

CheesyMike

This weekend began giving 4 ratings to people that defiantly could afford to tip but didn't, and noticed that my rating for the week went down. Does anyone know when do the passengers see the rating I give them?

uberman168

I don't think they ever do. I work it into the ride telling them they are either low or high. I'm not afraid to tell a low passenger that I can see why the are rated low

Bob Reynolds

The passengers do not know their ratings.

Only the drivers can see the riders ratings.

The rider ratings are for the driver's benefit so that we can make a decision on whether to accept the ping from a rider.

If a rider wants to see their rating they are instructed to ask the driver or e-mail Uber.

PowerTrip

for a pax to see there rating they have to
Open the Uber app and click the option button in the top left of the menu. Select “help” then “account.” At the bottom of the list you'll see“I'd like to know my rating.” Select that and then on the following screen hit submit.

kevin o'keefe

This weekend began giving 4 ratings to people that defiantly could afford to tip but didn't, and noticed that my rating for the week went down. Does anyone know when do the passengers see the rating I give them?
They see them as soon as you have entered them which is usually long before they rate you. Another idiot giving people 4 stars because they do not tip.

Chisox1125

Seriously Bob, if your only concerned with tips go wait tables. If a customer wants to tip they'll tip, if they don't want to tip then so be it. Achieved a new record this weekend in consecutive passengers that tipped 3 straight fares. Now the ammounts may not have been to your liking so you probably would have given them a 3 star rating. Again as it is a well known fact Uber survives on its customers so giving a passenger a bad ratings isn't gonna deactivate there account.

Last edited:

rld0220

I have given some 4 star ratings lately as well.. but mainly if they make me wait too long or if they smell bad.

One guy was eating in my car and left a bunch of orange peels in the back cup holders.. I gave him 3 stars.

I have noticed that my rating went from a 4.93 to a 4.89 over that time period though.. so there might be some way they are checking their ratings before they rate us.. not sure.

Chisox1125

I've emailed Uber before when I first started. We can't see what the rate is and they can't see what we rate them. Protects privacy and the unlikely scenario of running into a passenger where the rating is low.

UberXTampa

I have given some 4 star ratings lately as well.. but mainly if they make me wait too long or if they smell bad.

One guy was eating in my car and left a bunch of orange peels in the back cup holders.. I gave him 3 stars.

I have noticed that my rating went from a 4.93 to a 4.89 over that time period though.. so there might be some way they are checking their ratings before they rate us.. not sure.
I have noticed the reciprocity in ratings: when I have to rate riders low, I end up getting low ratings.

This is my explanation for it: pax is aware he/she is getting low rating. pax retaliates to feel good.

For example, the guy who left orange peels in your car, he knew that was not a good thing. He probably knew he would get low rating anyways. He rated you to get even.

I got a stinky lady yesterday on a long and nice fare. She came out of her apartment and into my car with a can of some sort of spray at and, spraying herself the entire time as she approached my car. I knew this was not going to be good. But, I had invested 15 minutes time already from when I accepted the trip to when she showed in front of the car. She reeked pot and she knew it. What she did to musk it made things worse, this time there was a mix of 2 terrible smells and I am reactive to strong odors of any sort. I had terrible headache during the trip and entre day from that. Still I 4 starred her and did not want to hurt her rating too much. I am sure she did not give me 5 star. She knew she was a complete mess and I was aware of it.

Last edited:

kevin o'keefe

I have noticed the reciprocity in ratings: when I have to rate riders low, I end up getting low ratings.

This is my explanation for it: pax is aware he/she is getting low rating. pax retaliates to feel good.

For example, the guy who left orange peels in our car, he knew that was not a good thing. He probably knew he would get low rating anyways. He rated you to get even.

I got a stinky lady yesterday on a long and nice fare. She came out of her apartment and into my car with a can of some sort of spray at and, spraying herself the entire time as she approached my car. I knew this was not going to be good. But, I had invested 15 minutes time already from when I accepted the trip to when she showed in front of the car. She reeked pot and she knew it. What she did to musk it made things worse, this time there was a mix of 2 terrible smells and I am reactive to strong odors of any sort. I had terrible headache during the trip and entre day from that. Still I 4 starred her and did not want to hurt her rating too much. I am sure she did not give me 5 star. She knew she was a complete mess and I was aware of it.
Honestly I do not think they can. I only said they do as an idiotic answer to an idiotic reaction to getting no tips. Frankly I do not care how others rate their pax or what level they will not accept a request. But to use any form of social media to announce what you do is just plain stupid

CheesyMike

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think they do, did 10 trips today and gave 6 4s, to the no tippers and still averaged 5 for the day.

UberPasco

If the rider doesn't ride several times a day, they can notice the low rating you gave. I had a text from my last rider the next day that said "My rating will go up faster than yours will". I gave him a 3 for bicchin about traffic when he made me go against my instincts trying to get to CLW beach. My rating dropped from 4.69 to 4.56 for 30 days, so he must have 1* me. Is there a way to prevent this from becoming like the old days of the eBay feedback retaliation?

Bob Reynolds

Non tippers get no higher than a 4. That's just the way it is. You can't be a perfect rider unless you tip. Only perfect riders get a 5.

If the rider wants a 5 then the rider needs to tip.

I am also a rider and my rider rating is 5 because I always tip my Uber driver.

FlDriver

For example, the guy who left orange peels in your car, he knew that was not a good thing. He probably knew he would get low rating anyways. He rated you to get even.
Yes, riders who deserve low ratings tend to be jerks and give low ratings to the driver. Guess what? Even if you give them 5 stars that they don't deserve, they will still likely rate you low, because they are jerks.

These are the people who expect you to find them even with a vague address like just the street number, wait 10 minutes for them to come outside, drink alcohol in your car, do a 20-minute drive in 5 minutes, etc.

UberXTampa

If the rider doesn't ride several times a day, they can notice the low rating you gave. I had a text from my last rider the next day that said "My rating will go up faster than yours will". I gave him a 3 for bicchin about traffic when he made me go against my instincts trying to get to CLW beach. My rating dropped from 4.69 to 4.56 for 30 days, so he must have 1* me. Is there a way to prevent this from becoming like the old days of the eBay feedback retaliation?
If rider requests rating before every trip, he can find out whether you rated him low or not. Based on that finding he can then retaliate. Uber made requesting rating available through the app. As more pax catch up, every low rated person will retaliate even more.

uberbofa

If the company want to create an arbitrary rating system, treat it as such. They give no real rubric to either party, so folks will create their own.

This should only really impact noobs or people who aren't driving too often anyway.

Isn't it based off of previous 500 rides? Once you're over 2-300 rides it shouldn't have too much of an impact. You're talking hundredths of a point....