1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured When a rider drops pin in bad location

Discussion in 'Advice' started by htboston, Nov 3, 2017.

?
  1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. htboston

htboston Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I often get requests where the pins are dropped in dangerous or illegal pickup areas. Like bus lanes where buses are only allowed to go into or that's a $200 fine, or no stopping areas, or even the corner of a on-ramp, or busy expressways, or no dropoff/pickup zone areas, or whatever.

I always see drivers in my area get suckered into picking these idiots up. They are so used to it, they just don't care about the repercussions on the drivers like fines and police pullovers. The drivers deserve it for being stupid enough to pick them up like this.

I can care less about other drivers, but this is effecting me because paxs expect their next driver to do the same which become a domino effect that is passed on to me.

Tell me you are not one of these idiot drivers that pick people up like this just to earn a cheap buck?!

KenJ, Fostel, Grahamcracker and 5 others like this.
  2. melusine3

melusine3 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I've found some people will take a bus to a location near their residence in order to be able to Uber/Lyft the rest of the way. So, minimum ride and maybe hauling groceries to boot, then wind your way through an apartment maze over a thousand speed bumps. For $3.

3. Cndragon

Cndragon Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Today a lady called as I approached saying instead waiting at the front door of a hotel where I can pull up to her, she wanted to save time by walking to the street for me to get her. A busy downtown street during rush hour with people driving like psychos. I slowed down just enough to point her back towards the hotel and drove in there to wait for her to walk back to the entrance. Even in the split second I slowed down, cars where honking at me. If I came to a stop, forget it...someone wouldve killed me. Goodness knows Im rationalizing no court of law would convict me of murder when someone stops in the middle of the road and Im right behind them.

If she hadnt walked back towards me, I would have collected my no show fee and left. Not going to be a hazard to the road or to myself over a pickup.

4. Jcposeidon

Jcposeidon Active Member

Thats one reason i hate driving downtown at night fri and sat the cops block off roads and people always drop their pins in the wrong areas making it a pain in the ass.

5. Rakos

Rakos Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    It's not as bad as it once was...Butt...

They used to game the system...

By dropping the pin...

Just outside of the surge zone...

And the calling to say...

I'm in a different spot...

So you go and get them...

From a neighboring non-surge zone...

And when you drop them off...

Uber would adjust the fare automatically..

And viola...pax gets non-surge rate...

I ALWAYS check to see...

if it is a surge fare or not...

When I take the ping...not after...

Rakos

PS. If they are not where they put the pin...roll up and wait for the cancel...

ChattaBilly, KenLV, New2This and 18 others like this.

6. htboston

Driving:
    UberX
    How much you earned after all of that? lol

Rakos likes this.
  7. UberAntMakingPeanuts

UberAntMakingPeanuts Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yup they also try to avoid the airport fee by making the ping outside the airport.

8. htboston

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't blame paxs for trying to save money and I don't blame drivers for squeezing every penny from their paxs. Uber is winning at the end because we both suck and complain about Uber but still use it and drive for it.

9. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

Just drive past them and park at a safe location for 5 minutes. Either they come to you or you get the fee.

10. Cndragon

Cndragon Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Wasnt anything different for me than any other ride.. I went right to the location she requested. She on the other hand created extra work for herself having to walk back and forth. In any case, it was a $5-something ride. No tip, but she give me 5* and left a nice comment "And a 5-star is all the thanks I need!" lol ugh.

Julescase and Rakos like this.
  11. htboston

Driving:
    UberX
    Wow, I didn't even know this. I thought you have to wait in that exact location since GPS is involved. Hopefully, Uber doesn't change this.
    maxresdefault.jpg

MHR and Rakos like this.
  12. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    My favorite is the foreign University students who are traveling back to India or China to visit their families, have 2 large suitcases and one medium/small one, and are min-faring it to the Van Galder bus stop so they can ride to Chicago O'Hare International Airport.

Ya I get it, they don't have a lot of money, but geez it's more like charity when I pickup pax like this. They should be ordering an XL.

One time I cringed as I crammed a huge tied-up cardboard box into the back seat of my very good condition 3-series. Fortunately with the Sonata now it's not a problem. I just go through with the trip and try to be friendly.

All for $3.19.

MoreTips and Rakos like this.
  13. htboston

Driving:
    UberX
    Every time I see at least 2 suitcases, I drive off. I know it's a trip that is less than 2-3 miles because it is in the city. And 5 minutes of them loading their crap in my car and 10 minutes of driving including traffic for a total of 3-4 bucks, I just drive off. Since I have been doing Uber, I can visually sense a city person and know they ain't going far to even pick them up. Not worth it sometimes.

14. Merc7186

Merc7186 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    giphy.gif
    Nuff Said.

New2This and Rakos like this.
  15. Skorpio

Skorpio Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Before I come to pick up pax. I double check its a residence or safe spot to park the car.
    Pax make you wait so there is no reason to block the traffic flow. I park nearby and text them.

When they get in, I told them. Sorry, I can't block the traffic or the police will come looking for me.
    Most people understand, Most are dumb and expect you to come where they are even if they put the wrong address.
    The customer is always right, this is the market we are dealing with. Hopefully, if they are rude to me, I will never be matched with them. 1-star them and complaint to CS.

Julescase, MadTownUberD and Rakos like this.
  16. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It depends upon how busy I am. But since now I should be driving ONLY long trips, surge, and boost I really should cancel on these people more often. But my soft heart won't let me do it because I would feel terrible if the person missed their bus. "Early detection" is key here so they have time to order another one.

In the instance above (the large cardboard box) the guy was at the curb with one piece of luggage. He then said he had to go back in for another piece. Don't know if he was being sneaky or not.

Rakos likes this.
  17. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    I wrote some informational reading material that I put in the seat pockets, one of which is "how to set the pin".

And pax that don't set the pin in a safe/sane/accurate location automatically get 3 stars or less.

Julescase, Fostel and Rakos like this.
  18. Cableguynoe

Cableguynoe Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Why not? I do blame them.
    Pay what the ride costs (surge/airport fee, etc) or phone a friend to come pick you up.

19. DrivingForYou

DrivingForYou Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Lyft
    Driving Uber does not absolve you from following the law.

You can't block traffic, double park, be a ******, stop in a bus zone, etc etc. you can't let your pax get in/out while stopped at a red light, in the middle of a business street, on the freeway, etc etc.

You are required to follow the law, and that includes finding a safe and legal place to stop.

My doors stay locked until my shifter is in park. No one gets in or out until I'm in park.

Fostel, Uber Crack and Rakos like this.
  20. htboston

Driving:
    UberX
    Did I mention no tip also for all that work?

It's not your fault. It's Uber's for not making it worth your while. I don't feel bad anymore. If they need to be somewhere urgent, then taxis are always desperate but they too cheap for that, so it's probably not that important to them if they are waiting for an Uber

LEAFdriver, Fostel, Brian G. and 2 others like this.