• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Wheelchair pax often left stranded...

Would you cancel on a wheelchair pax?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Riders Champion

At 11.15pm tonight in a business office commercial hub in the suburbs, a pax in a wheelchair suffering from Spina Bifida claimed that 7 drivers cancelled on him upon arrival.

He said they would see him wave and just keep driving. I told him that I was quite upset to hear of that and that it's not right.

His wheelchair was foldable and fit in the backseat of my hatchback with relative ease.

No assistance was needed with himself as he hurled himself into the front passenger seat.

He got me to stop at the servo to buy him some smokes. I went in to save him the hassle. He gave me is credit card. I left my phone unattended - which I seldom do.

First time I've bought cigarettes in a decade so I was horrified to find that they cost around $26 a pack!!

Anyway, whole trip only paid me $7, but that is beside the point.

While we may have unruly pax from time to time, we absolutely must make an extra effort with disabled pax.

It goes without saying but all those drivers who cancel should be penalised.

That aint right...

Last edited:

Mulder99

I've had 2 disabled riders with wheelchairs as pax so far...

Both times there was another person to assist them...

If they can manage to get themself in and out of the car unassisted, then I would take them...

I would cancel if they needed assistance as I have a dodgy back and if the wheelchair did not fit..

JaySonic

How is it that we cant call a footy player an ape, but its ok to refer to a disabled person as a gorilla?

I have a disabled mate who kind of picks up his gammy leg and throws it into my car (its still attched to his body, mind you). He's ok when I call him 'clubby' I presume.

Who is John Galt?

Author
How is it that we cant call a footy player an ape, but its ok to refer to a disabled person as a gorilla?

I have a disabled mate who kind of picks up his gammy leg and throws it into my car (its still attched to his body, mind you). He's ok when I call him 'clubby' I presume.

It is outrageous isn't it? It really is.
I mean, when you think of that poor footballer with the 'spear thrower syndrome' or whatever he suffered~ how he was referred to as an ape, and yet he went on to become 'Australia's Whinger of the Year' or whatever it was.....I mean.....what an absolute inspiration!!

So, this poor guy in Riders Champion's car.....there he is.....totally innocent, but now, through the power of social media, it is out there....he is nothing but a gorilla. Wow!

The Fan

It's about safety issue. We shouldn't take them. Proper care worker or assistant should be with them if they want us to take them. We are not even trained to hold them.

Disabled taxi services are there i guess.

Avago

There's a huge difference between having some who is capable of getting from their chair into the vehicle, and someone that needs to be lifted out, seatbelt secured etc.
And from my experience in the cabs, most from the latter group will have a carer or someone to help them in.
Of the former group, no worries, I'm quite happy to assist getting your chair folded up and into the car.
I have had a parent put their adult child with a intellectual disability into the car for a trip to another carer. It was, for me, due to my lack of experience a confronting experience, but when I look back, the pax was fine, And once we found common ground, rock music, the rest of the trip was fine.. he really found the ABC on my radio with all the talking was freaking him out.

And how did this thread manage to take a momentary tangent to a former Australian of the Year is beyond me...

Avenig

At 11.15pm tonight in a business office commercial hub in the suburbs, a pax in a wheelchair suffering from Spina Bifida claimed that 7 drivers cancelled on him upon arrival.

He said they would see him wave and just keep driving. I told him that I was quite upset to hear of that and that it's not right.

His wheelchair was foldable and fit in the backseat of my hatchback with relative ease.

No assistance was needed with himself as he hurled himself into the front passenger seat. Quite gorilla like.

He got me to stop at the servo to buy him some smokes. I went in to save him the hassle. He gave me is credit card. I left my phone unattended - which I seldom do.

First time I've bought cigarettes in a decade so I was horrified to find that they cost around $26 a pack!!

Anyway, whole trip only paid me $7, but that is beside the point.

While we may have unruly pax from time to time, we absolutely must make an extra effort with disabled pax.

It goes without saying but all those drivers who cancel should be penalised.

That aint right...
Was the request under Uber Assist?

beSafe

I remember back then we had Uber Assist. I went to the information night and not many pick up since it was kick off, seem to be dieng. Was the trip worth it? No, most of them are short and time consuming, heavy lifting. I still will accept the trip in future, just a principle.

BreadandWater

No no no... Whats wrong with you???
Never take disabled pax... They have special taxis for them... Takes too long, too awkward and not worth the hasssle! We don't run a charity or a community service, I would drive off as well!!! Shame on the disabled pax also for calling an uber and putting drivers in this situation!

phoenix41

I've come across pax who think uberX is the only service available. They've never bothered to swipe to view/request uber black/SUV/assist etc.
I have picked up pax on crutches. They can manage themselves. So no issues.

Bexdog

Fmd there are some absolute f*&kwits on this forum. If you guys are just trolling, then I take my hat off to you. If you actually believe this nonsense then I'll build you a time machine and send you back to the 1950's where you obviously need to be to be happy.

Riders Champion

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fmd there are some absolute f*&kwits on this forum. If you guys are just trolling, then I take my hat off to you. If you actually believe this nonsense then I'll build you a time machine and send you back to the 1950's where you obviously need to be to be happy.
Ignoring them doesn't really work either because then threads don't make much sense especially if they post alot and trigger responses from others.

Then some are only part time trollers and decent contributors the rest of the time.

Back to your post though, what's your stance on the issue? I couldn't make that out.

Was the request under Uber Assist?
Just UberX.

Status
Not open for further replies.