Wheel alignment

kah5683

Read here at some point (tried to find again, but couldn't) of such a thing as a one-time annual charge for wheel alignment at some repair shops covering all alignments that year. If there is such an animal, where is a place that this can be done?

UberTrucker

I know just tires did it awhile back. Don't remember how much I paid but it was less then $100. It was for 3 wheel alighnments in a yr

uber78

Firestone I paid one time I think it was like $225 if I'm not mistaken for as long as I have the car. So I take it every 5 to 10 thousand miles and they do it.

leroy jenkins

If you need more than one alignment every couple of years, you're unlucky or something else is wrong with your car's suspension.

DragginMyCouch DMC

5683. Uber rewards offers 15% off services through the app. Check it out. Yes, due to the weight we carry, alignments are the best preventative service, next to oil changes. A good 4 wheel alignment informs you of your steering and gear box, engine craddle problem, rear end slippage and current and pending suspension diagnosis. Before going. Your tires should be properly inflated, full of gas and preloaded(warm). So go to a place that will get you right in. It takes 30 to 40 minutes to do. If your car has never been in a accident. Before going. Measure from the ground to the top of each fender well, centerline of wheels. The RF and RR should be equal but less than the left side by up to 1/4 inch. If not. It's best to tell the alignment shop before they even begin. If you aren't sure how to read alignment printouts. Always go to same place and bring old printouts with you. They tell a story. The money it costs for alignment will save you in spades, in gas, tire wear and catching problems early. All tire shops and good reputable repair shops do 4 wheel alignments.

blackjackross

Are you kidding me?......Of course, you need an alignment check if you drive in Chicago. We routinely drive over 1000's of speed bumps, pot holes, jacked up pavements where the roads are waiting 6 months to get resurfaced. All this while carrying 200-800 lbs of extra load. No such thing as a "modern suspension system" that doesn't go out of alignment.

Firestone runs an alignment special---$179 lifetime alignment-----you can take it in for as long as you own your car. I ignore all the upsell garbage and just tell them to do the alignment. I never, ever buy cheap tires so I want to squeeze all the mileage I can out of my tires----let alone the suspension system components.

lakersfan1

Camber you can tell by looking if its far enough out of whack to effect tire wear. All thats left is toe. My Jetta has a solid rear axle, so there's no adjustment. Only an accident in the rear would throw it out anyways. So all that I would ever need checked is FRONT TOE. If my car's not pulling, Im not worried.

Over the last 8 cars, the only time any of them were out of spec was after putting in lowering springs or new bushings.

Sam D

over the past 3 months with all the pot holes and BS I go through Ubering mostly just in lake County (rt 41 is awful but the county as a whole isnt much better)-- this is what Ive had done - (not all at once but in the last 3 months)

All four roters and pads replaced --- Two front Bearings - Rear Shocks - and all four tires replaced due to cupping from the bad shocks

Ok - I think the totally in all that is something 1600 but I don't have the bills n front of me to ad up --- Tires was the most expensive at 600 bucks installed and aligned - that was a good chunk of my tax return

anyway -- life of a rides share driver and 12 year old car I suppose

Prius13

over the past 3 months with all the pot holes and BS I go through Ubering mostly just in lake County (rt 41 is awful but the county as a whole isnt much better)-- this is what Ive had done - (not all at once but in the last 3 months)

All four roters and pads replaced --- Two front Bearings - Rear Shocks - and all four tires replaced due to cupping from the bad shocks

Ok - I think the totally in all that is something 1600 but I don't have the bills n front of me to ad up --- Tires was the most expensive at 600 bucks installed and aligned - that was a good chunk of my tax return

anyway -- life of a rides share driver and 12 year old car I suppose
Time to buy a new car as it sounds like your Uber car will age out.

Sam D

Time to buy a new car as it sounds like your Uber car will age out.

Well yeah eventually but not yet. It’s a 2006. But I also have a town and country that’s a 2011

Good for a while yet

But the time I do need a new one if plans work out I won’t be ubering anymore.

Iann

Camber you can tell by looking if its far enough out of whack to effect tire wear. All thats left is toe. My Jetta has a solid rear axle, so there's no adjustment. Only an accident in the rear would throw it out anyways. So all that I would ever need checked is FRONT TOE. If my car's not pulling, Im not worried.

Over the last 8 cars, the only time any of them were out of spec was after putting in lowering springs or new bushings.
You forgot about Wheel Castor. How far forward or back the wheel is in the arch of travel.