What's your policy with panhandlers/beggars?

MaximusMurkimus

Living in the hood I see these guys all the time.

At one point I might've had some sympathy. Sometimes I still do.

But most of the time......no way.

I tend to ignore them or respond with a "Not today, sir/maam". Some are more pushy than others. Taking a break from driving once I bought a woman the same meal I had, feeling good karma would come my way as a result. Instead of simply saying thank you and walking away, she followed me to my car and offered me sexual favors for more money. She wasn't attractive in the slightest and I really would not have done so even if it was free, so I declined. Over and over. She wouldn't get off my window until I put my car in reverse. "We don't have to do it here if you don't feel comfortable...." Woman, there isn't a place on Earth where this wouldn't feel comfortable, get a fricking clue! Some people....

But uh, yeah. Can't help people who don't want to help themselves, I feel.

Cableguynoe

I live in an area with a lot of strawberry fields, artichokes, raspberries, etc etc.
Since I was a little kid I never understood how there could be all these people breaking their back in the hot sun, and right across the street there's someone holding a sign that says "Will work for food".
So no, I've never given them a penny.

PrestonT

In my city, there are several charitable organizations that assist homeless. If people would stop feeding cash to the homeless and more often the professional panhandlers, and instead give money to these organizations, help would go to those who need it without lining the pockets of those who are exploiting public sympathy.

PTUber

Policy? Too many in town now a days no policy just have to ignore. Much like the PAX of old I'd tip them but I don't carry cash!

Sidebar on this subject I have seen shift changes where 2 new panhandlers are dropped off and the other 2 they are replacing get into the car and drive off. They all have the same backpacks and similar signs. None say "Will work for food" anymore.

nickd8775

There are professional panhandlers who make $100000 a year tax free. They don't see a need to get a job and I don't blame them.

Grahamcracker

I will offer only basic essentials only, food, water, blanket, hand me down clothes and shoes. Never money. That's my policy.

I gave a panhandler a MRE standing on the corner of an exit off I-70 in Kansas once. He took it and threw it over the highway. Then he pulled out his cell phone and started talking on it. LMAO!!!

Last edited:

Trafficat

Years ago, as a college student, I once gave this lady a $20 bill after she told me she couldn't feed her kids. Then she got upset that it was all I gave her and she called me cheap. Ever since then I will never give more than $1 to a beggar, with the exception of the guy I gave $2 to the other night. I gave him $2 because I believed him. I believed him because he was a fat guy in clean clothes who waddled over to ask me and was really far from the typical beggar stereotype so I figured maybe he just left his money at home.

Most panhandlers I ignore. But I have given a lot to them over the years. What can I say, I'm a pushover. I know these guys are manipulating me most of the time, and probably most make more than I do, but I almost don't care. I guess I'd rather have guys ask nicely for money than commit burglaries or whatever else it would be that they would do if they couldn't beg.

I'm kind of strange that way... if a guy asks nicely I might give him a dollar. If a guy demands money he gets nothing, and if he demands by force I'm going to hurt him a lot more than he's going to hurt me.

Giving to charities that help the homeless is better if you want to help homeless people, as it is true a lot of these guys are pros.

Singing in the Rain

Years ago, as a college student, I once gave this lady a $20 bill after she told me she couldn't feed her kids. Then she got upset that it was all I gave her and she called me cheap. Ever since then I will never give more than $1 to a beggar, with the exception of the guy I gave $2 to the other night. I gave him $2 because I believed him. I believed him because he was a fat guy in clean clothes who waddled over to ask me and was really far from the typical beggar stereotype so I figured maybe he just left his money at home.

Most panhandlers I ignore. But I have given a lot to them over the years. What can I say, I'm a pushover. I know these guys are manipulating me most of the time, and probably most make more than I do, but I almost don't care. I guess I'd rather have guys ask nicely for money than commit burglaries or whatever else it would be that they would do if they couldn't beg.

I'm kind of strange that way... if a guy asks nicely I might give him a dollar. If a guy demands money he gets nothing, and if he demands by force I'm going to hurt him a lot more than he's going to hurt me.

Giving to charities that help the homeless is better if you want to help homeless people, as it is true a lot of these guys are pros.
My wife keeps a stack of business cards in her car for the locations of the homeless shelters. She hands those out instead of cash. I hand out water if I have it in the car.

Spotscat

Look them in their eyes and tell them about how you lost your job, your house got foreclosed on, and your wife left you for another woman. You now live at the Holiday Inn, date girls from Backpage, you've had to stop dining at Ruth's Chris and now eat at Lone Star, and you've had to start drinking domestic beer as well.

Sob and cry profusely, and tell them that you feel their pain and wish there was something you could do, but it is what it is.

:biggrin:

ShinyAndChrome

Dont acknowledge they will just press luck. Last time I gave money to a guy over a convincing story about needing bus fare (btw I gave him more than a bus fare cost) I kept walking to my car and a few min later drove by as he was begging somebody else. He lied to me. Then there is the common "need $5 for gas" story which is also a lie. One guy tried it on me and I felt bad but gave him none. He tried the same trick in me a couple weeks later.

TheSnoozer

Dont acknowledge they will just press luck. Last time I gave money to a guy over a convincing story about needing bus fare (btw I gave him more than a bus fare cost) I kept walking to my car and a few min later drove by as he was begging somebody else. He lied to me. Then there is the common "need $5 for gas" story which is also a lie. One guy tried it on me and I felt bad but gave him none. He tried the same trick in me a couple weeks later.

I offered one a tunafish sandwich once and he brushed it away.

ddelro219

I don't anymore. I've been given attitude and cussed out by a few around here who just want cash instead of water or food. i give back in other forms instead of handing out to them on the streets.

ratethis

I carry those packs of crackers n cheese or peanut butter, if someone says they're hungry I give them a pack or two. I won't give money to anyone to support a drug or alcohol habit, there's a guy right outside the city, that has a sign that says "I'm not gonna lie I want a beer" he thinks it's cute I guess, I just looked at him and said "I'm not going lie get a job"...

I've had a guy with a huge $30k new truck try to get me to put gas in the truck cause he didn't have the money to make it home. Sorry dude not happening, the next week same guy same story, I walked away said no... the third week I called him out on his BS story, loud enough that no one at the station would fall for it, told him " this is the third time in three weeks you've told me the same story, you haven't made it home yet?" People laughed, he got pissed and drove off in the truck that needed gas! :biggrin:..

goneubering

There are people who don't have jobs or homes?

I live in AZ. If I see the panhandlers in the median of a busy intersection, I will often give them water if I have some in the car. At 2pm in Phx, a bottle of water is for more valuable than the dollar I'd otherwise part with.

Good for you. Water can be very helpful here in Cali too.