What's Your Limit?

Mad Medic

OK, I'll try to be as brief as possible since I have a tendency towards long postings.

WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

Seriously. We all moan about the many paxholes and very recently I've had a few that I didn't kick out of my car BUT came very, very close.

I wont go into great details on some of these rides but I want to give you a hint in regards to what direction I'm going.

One ride was the group of 3 college kids, probably only 19 with fake IDs. Pick up destination, a bowling alley tavern 15 minutes off campus.

One dude and two chicks hop in and need dropped off just outside campus cause they have to sneak back to the dorms. 2 of the 3 seem fine BUT the one girl, she may pass out before you make it one block. Hmmm what if the drive makes her feel sick?

Another different ride request and a different drunk. This time you encounter two young women. Outside & waiting for the Uber BUT the good girlfriend being there for her wasted friend has to wake her up enough and assist her into your car. Do you give that ride or say hell no?

Ride scenario number three. Yep, they're intoxicated but not where you're too worried. They seem ok UNTIL you make it two blocks on what's to be a 15 minute ride. This ride in particular (and others) led me to post the question to my fellow drivers Whats your limit?

Ride scenario number 3 turns out to be boyfriend & girlfriend deciding that your car is as good a place as any to have a 15 minute argument? You tell them to stop but that only works for 1 minute.

I am very patient , wouldn't kick someone out my car for any little reason . Plus, if I kicked out every intoxicated person I'd lose 80% of my pax since I drive late night.

All three ride scenarios above are REAL rides within the past two weeks that took every ounce of patience on my behalf. Afterall, we have to have thick skin in this business.
Just to throw out another scenario for you guys - been a long shift but you'll do one last ride before calling it a day. You hit "Start Trip" and its 33 minutes opposite your direction. Do you give that ride?

SO, WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

Feel free to discuss any scenarios beyond what I've brought up.

tohunt4me

OK, I'll try to be as brief as possible since I have a tendency towards long postings.

WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

Seriously. We all moan about the many paxholes and very recently I've had a few that I didn't kick out of my car BUT came very, very close.

I wont go into great details on some of these rides but I want to give you a hint in regards to what direction I'm going.

One ride was the group of 3 college kids, probably only 19 with fake IDs. Pick up destination, a bowling alley tavern 15 minutes off campus.

One dude and two chicks hop in and need dropped off just outside campus cause they have to sneak back to the dorms. 2 of the 3 seem fine BUT the one girl, she may pass out before you make it one block. Hmmm what if the drive makes her feel sick?

Another different ride request and a different drunk. This time you encounter two young women. Outside & waiting for the Uber BUT the good girlfriend being there for her wasted friend has to wake her up enough and assist her into your car. Do you give that ride or say hell no?

Ride scenario number three. Yep, they're intoxicated but not where you're too worried. They seem ok UNTIL you make it two blocks on what's to be a 15 minute ride. This ride in particular (and others) led me to post the question to my fellow drivers Whats your limit?

Ride scenario number 3 turns out to be boyfriend & girlfriend deciding that your car is as good a place as any to have a 15 minute argument? You tell them to stop but that only works for 1 minute.

I am very patient , wouldn't kick someone out my car for any little reason . Plus, if I kicked out every intoxicated person I'd lose 80% of my pax since I drive late night.

All three ride scenarios above are REAL rides within the past two weeks that took every ounce of patience on my behalf. Afterall, we have to have thick skin in this business.
Just to throw out another scenario for you guys - been a long shift but you'll do one last ride before calling it a day. You hit "Start Trip" and its 33 minutes opposite your direction. Do you give that ride?

SO, WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

THAT WAS BRIEF !?

WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

SO, WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

With the college kids
I always worry what could happen to them if i dont take them.

Totally agree, rarely problems in the morning.
" Im running late"
So we Rush 5 blocks to the gridlocked interstate.
Nope.
Give me nights.

Ressy

I drive the mornings taking people back to their cars....First I have to make sure that are capable of driving as some of them still look pretty drunk, then do they have the car keys with them, then do they remember exactly where they left the car or have a note from the bartender reminding them where the car is. It's interesting....I could sell Advil for 10 bucks a pill.

But I do this because I want them to remember that they can call an Uber to get home and one to get back to the car. As a former RN I've been on the other end of the decision in the ER. I also live close to the Judge who handles the DUI cases and he says the case load is 1/2 of what it used to be since Uber. He asks them in court why they didn't get an Uber? Why since it is easy! I have no sympathy for those I drop off at court for DUI hearing and the complaints they have about the costs...no sympathy at all. I tell them "It's cheaper than a funeral."

quesie

You remind me why I drive mornings. People still trying to wake up, let alone start shit.

WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

SO, WHAT'S YOUR LIMIT?

You just listed every reason I no longer work nights even on weekends.

LoveTheBlues

Like a well trained BDSM slave. No limits.
LOL - it feels that way sometimes, doesn't it?
I try to take much of this in stride. I'm not dedicated enough to get out early AM before my day job (and I really find rush hour traffic more frustrating than the late night antics anyhow). So when I drive late nights (because that's when i make more), I have to accept that some BS goes with the job. Arguing couples; it happens. I try to think of it as a combination reality show / soap opera playing out live in my back seat. With those riders, I'm just the fly on the wall taking it all in. And I can take solace in thinking that "my life may be screwed up but not compared to you two!" :wink: As others have said, it's hard to spot how drunk is too drunk and if I rejected everyone that made me nervous, I would only get a 4 or 5 rides / night. So I take most on (not all) and sometimes I lose. But again, frame of mind is important here. If the mess isn't too bad, I have the supplies needed to clean it up myself. So I take my pics, send them in, collect my $150 and sometimes I can be back on the road in 30 minutes. If the seat is too wet, I call it a night. If I'm still not comfortable with my clean up, my detail guys will finish the job in the morning for $50. Once, it just made me gag looking at it and i let it sit until morning and the detail shop charged $100 but they still got it cleaned up. So I take it in stride.

Where I draw the line is if a pax is belligerent with me or if it becomes a safety issue. I had one last spring that decided to stand on the back seat with full body out the window on Lower Wacker after leaving a bar on Hubbard. We exited and out the door they went on Harrison. They started to protest saying it wasn't a safe area (I thought that was rich), I called 911 and they were out. The operator was amused with my story and sent an officer to check on them.

tohunt4me

I drive the mornings taking people back to their cars....First I have to make sure that are capable of driving as some of them still look pretty drunk, then do they have the car keys with them, then do they remember exactly where they left the car or have a note from the bartender reminding them where the car is. It's interesting....I could sell Advil for 10 bucks a pill.

But I do this because I want them to remember that they can call an Uber to get home and one to get back to the car. As a former RN I've been on the other end of the decision in the ER. I also live close to the Judge who handles the DUI cases and he says the case load is 1/2 of what it used to be since Uber. He asks them in court why they didn't get an Uber? Why since it is easy! I have no sympathy for those I drop off at court for DUI hearing and the complaints they have about the costs...no sympathy at all. I tell them "It's cheaper than a funeral."
Meanwhile
Uber drivers are buried by prison trustees in an unmarked grave because that is all they can afford after 4 rate cuts . . .

Mad Medic

THAT WAS BRIEF !?

With the college kids
I always worry what could happen to them if i dont take them.

" Im running late"
So we Rush 5 blocks to the gridlocked interstate.
Nope.
Give me nights.
Sorry, said I would TRY to be brief

You remind me why I drive mornings. People still trying to wake up, let alone start shit.
I hear you loud and clear. Wish I could wake up and work in the morning like normal people. Damn insomnia.

Yep. Paramedic myself, so I get the RN part of it. Wish I had a regular route taking people back to their cars.

Uber most definitely better than driving intoxicated. Often with passenger conversations I'll bring up how lucky they are to have Uber compared to my generation. Then tell them I wish we had it 30 years ago when I was rompin the streets

Bigbadb91

I don't know man, these young kids used to act the way I used to act back in the day (I'm 37) so it doesn't really bother me... only thing I got is don't throw up in my car... hasn't happened and it shouldn't happen but you never know...

Back to not really bothering me... maybe it's just an age gap between the people that care and the ones that don't care between us drivers

I've always been a late night guy so to switch to mornings would be almost impossible... I'm not even sure what time I'd be able to fall asleep cause it'd be almost impossible for me to fall asleep before 10-11

Shakur

Most of you just dont remember what its like to be our age and sound grumpy as ****. Im sure you all were just the biggest angels, supremacists and all..... Get over yourselves, if you dont want to take the trip just dont accept it. Keep doors locked until confirming passenger(s) and assessing the situation.